Club Cricket 2021-22 (Vigne Cup etc)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Club Cricket 2021-22 (Vigne Cup etc)

Post by secretzimbo »

Marumani cashing in against this (admittedly very weak) Manyame attack.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Results round-up

Vigne 1st League

Uprising CC, 344-9 (Marumani 124, A Chibanda 76, W Masakadza 31; Ncumani 3-57, E Phiri 2-31) def Manyame Heliz, 106-8 (Mbangani 22*; Gwarada 2-14, Makauyo 2-21) by 238 runs. (Match reduced to 36 overs per side).

Rainbow 1, 155ao (Imbayago 29, Falao 27, Chirwa 22; Chesa 4-34, Musoko 3-23) def Takashinga 2, 121ao (Kamunhukamwe 34; Chirwa 5-25, Mudzinganyama 2-21) by 34 runs.

Royals, 127ao (Chimbambo 75; Ziwira 4-17, Majoka 3-60) def Takashinga 1, 118ao (Nenhunzi 21; Evans 3-28, R Patel 2-10, Schonken 2-23) by 9 runs.

Old Hararians 1, 246-5 (N Patel 71, M Welch 59, Zhuwao 30; Munyonga 3-48) def Gladiators, 242-8 (Munyonga 65, Shumba 51, Madande 27; Zhuwao 3-42, Campbell 2-34) by 5 wickets.

Vigne 2nd League

Rainbow 2, 228-5 (Mafusire 107*, Chinyengetere 62; Nyamapfemi 4-38) def Glenshire, 227-9 (Chinyanganya 66, Chizema 31; Marongwe 3-26, Nyakujara 2-34) by 5 wickets.

Harare Sports Club, 208-4 (Sagwidza 66, Chingadze 58, Girish D 39; Naga Reddy 3-42) def Centurions, 206ao (Naga Reddy 64, Girish K 35; Nyamheto 4-14, Kateketa 4-49) by 6 wickets.

Uhuru, 320-8 (Kasonko 87, Mutizwa 79, A Garwe 43; Ngilazi 3-50 Chirombe 2-28) def Easterns, 110ao (Utete 20; Serima 6-29) by 211 runs.

Old Hararians 2, 190-8 (A Aqil 62, H Aqil 26, Mahala 26; AU Patel 4-28) def Alex SC, 121ao (Choudhry 24; Parekh 3-37, Akhtar 2-2, N Patel 2-15) by 70 runs.

Bakers Inn Rangers, 179ao (D Viljoen 47, Johnson 27; Musoso 3-20, Mhuka 2-29, S Ahmad 2-42) def White Rhinos, 136ao (R Moyo 43; Milne 5-4, Van Zyl 3-50) by 43 runs.

Amongst the talking points........

Matt Schonken who batted at 11 for the U19's opened the batting for Royal.
Keeper Clive Madande bowled a couple of overs of spin for Gladiators!
Rangers, who are (mostly) school children, are top of their league......although old man Viljoen top scored for them today.
Both Takashinga teams lost again, for the second successive week.
Marumani and 18 year old Chibanda bludgeoned the air force bowlers.
Yet another half century for Welch Jr, who has been comfortably the player of the season so far. Surely a franchise is engaging him for the T20s. Anyone know?
Last edited by secretzimbo on Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:02 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:10 pm
Whats up with u16 and u19 club cricket in Byo?
Is that coz there's no school cricket or are the boys ultra keen? Here in Harare the school season is over already, I'm not sure they played more than 3 games :lol: :lol: :lol:

You won't get a Harare schoolboy to play club cricket unless there's a bottle of vodka at the end of it and there wasn't a party the night before, which hasn't happened in the last ten years.
I hear it's been pretty well received by kids and parents. The quality of cricket has certainly been mixed at times, but well organised and the kids have enjoyed being part of teams outside of school. There's sponsorship behind it and the main Tuskers coaches and senior players had some sessions with each team in Jan before the whole thing started.

There's the Bakers Inn leagues in Harare which happen most weekend, although I think mostly age 16 and under. And that's pay-to-play and not cheap; so that excludes quite a few kids I suppose.
That's great news indeed. Ya I don't know much about the Baker's Inn initiative, long may that last too.
One of the main reasons for the decline in school cricket has been the lack of fixtures and that's largely as a result of the third term now being cut short because players want to focus on exams, so that cuts half the term out. Then you get to first term and rain messes up fixtures then they cut that term short for athletics and pre-season rugby.
Winter cricket is the solution!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Really good to see young Schonken playing some club cricket. This lad is going to be a quality leggie if he keeps it up.
Some alarmingly low scores in these Vigne Cup matches. I just don't see how the average team scores shouldn't be 250 plus. Just go at 4 an over, rotate strike, have some wickets in hand and step it up a bit in the last 15 and there's your 250 without much risk- a defendable total. No-one seems to know how to construct an innings. Even chasing a big total you take it deep and then play some shots. You see guys chasing 250 only and if they're 25-0 after 8 you can guarantee there's some panic stricken big shots coming. Players need just as much maths lessons as they do coaching. Big players don't worry about 9 an over with 4 to go, these guys bring out the half baked T20 shots when the required run rate creeps up to 3.8 an over.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Googly wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:20 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:02 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:10 pm
Whats up with u16 and u19 club cricket in Byo?
Is that coz there's no school cricket or are the boys ultra keen? Here in Harare the school season is over already, I'm not sure they played more than 3 games :lol: :lol: :lol:

You won't get a Harare schoolboy to play club cricket unless there's a bottle of vodka at the end of it and there wasn't a party the night before, which hasn't happened in the last ten years.
I hear it's been pretty well received by kids and parents. The quality of cricket has certainly been mixed at times, but well organised and the kids have enjoyed being part of teams outside of school. There's sponsorship behind it and the main Tuskers coaches and senior players had some sessions with each team in Jan before the whole thing started.

There's the Bakers Inn leagues in Harare which happen most weekend, although I think mostly age 16 and under. And that's pay-to-play and not cheap; so that excludes quite a few kids I suppose.
That's great news indeed. Ya I don't know much about the Baker's Inn initiative, long may that last too.
One of the main reasons for the decline in school cricket has been the lack of fixtures and that's largely as a result of the third term now being cut short because players want to focus on exams, so that cuts half the term out. Then you get to first term and rain messes up fixtures then they cut that term short for athletics and pre-season rugby.
Winter cricket is the solution!
St George's, Peter House and St John's and occasionally Falcon have this first term pre-season tour to SA these last few years, which is about as much cricket as they get.
It's good and it isn't. It's good in as much as they're playing against decent SA school sides, but these days it's really highlighting how far behind we are slipping each and every year. If it was backed up by some decent school cricket locally so we actually improved so the following year we could measure it would be a great thing. It has almost become a box ticking exercise- school tour done and dusted, no complaining parents, kids coaches and parents had a nice time, nothing to see here! We need to resurrect local school cricket somehow!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

I missed my own point here- it's not a pre-season tour, its actually the whole season!!! They play more games in that week than they do for the rest of the season. It's almost their year's cricket basically bundled into one week.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It's a massive problem. Covid was a convenient excuse to not bother with schools cricket for a couple of years but that won't hold going forward. St George's were hammered in SA last month, St John's didn't do much better. Big problems at school level, and I'm not sure what the realistic, feasible solution is going to be short-term.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Oh well, maybe we can all just play in this dodgy T10 league that keeps being mooted. ED met with the Indian dude recently. Sounds horrific. Streak and BT should have waited - there will be far more money to launder, loot, fix and gamble with at this tournament :lol: :lol: :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

https://allafrica.com/stories/202203210171.html

"One of the billionaires is Mr Mulk who is coming to launch T10 cricket."

:lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you want to become a Billionaire in Zim then start with 2 Billion :lol: :lol:
A few guys have succeeded but most wealthy folk who think they can come here and turn the place upside down with mega deals generally get spanked and scuttle off with their tails between their legs.
If this T10 is so fantastic why hasn't it kicked off right in his home turf? T4 is more cricket than we're playing now, but there's something that just doesn't quite add up. :lol:

Our guys aren't going to attract a world wide audience so is it the venue he's after? That doesn't make sense either.