Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Post by slcricfan1 »

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/dave ... or-1282787

Houghton apparently had a similar role back in 2009

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

This is a great appointment, and it’s very different to Hamilton’s job. As a coaching director Houghton will be in charge of coaching the coaches, making them better coaches.

This is a vital role, if Houghton can improve the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe this will in turn develop better cricketers.

Sean Bell was very vocal in saying that the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe wasn’t high enough, something we have all bemoaned about
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:47 am
This is a great appointment, and it’s very different to Hamilton’s job. As a coaching director Houghton will be in charge of coaching the coaches, making them better coaches.

This is a vital role, if Houghton can improve the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe this will in turn develop better cricketers.

Sean Bell was very vocal in saying that the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe wasn’t high enough, something we have all bemoaned about
What is Hamilton's job though? Does anyone know anymore? He keeps siphoning bits off to other people.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:40 am
jaybro wrote:

What is Hamilton's job though? Does anyone know anymore? He keeps siphoning bits off to other people.
Maybe he is clearing his workload for a sensational return.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:

What is Hamiltons job then?

The way I see it, the coaching manager would coach the coaches. So he would set the standard for the style of play and the philosophy that would be required across the levels. This is basically what the technical director does in every other sport. Develop and implement the philosophy.

I would also suspect that Houghton is not going to be coaching Rajput, because if that is the case, then you don't need Rajput. The national team coaching structure is what worries me the most. We have not heard anything since the last tour and his contract was meant to be up after it. Not a peep from ZC about what is happening, but also showing they are comfortable with his sub standard bullshit. I do not want Rajput and the current coaching team leading us to a T20 WC and WCQ next year.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Maybe he is clearing his workload for a sensational return.
A sensational return to the KFC corner? :D

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 pm
jaybro wrote:

What is Hamiltons job then?

The way I see it, the coaching manager would coach the coaches. So he would set the standard for the style of play and the philosophy that would be required across the levels. This is basically what the technical director does in every other sport. Develop and implement the philosophy.

I would also suspect that Houghton is not going to be coaching Rajput, because if that is the case, then you don't need Rajput. The national team coaching structure is what worries me the most. We have not heard anything since the last tour and his contract was meant to be up after it. Not a peep from ZC about what is happening, but also showing they are comfortable with his sub standard bullshit. I do not want Rajput and the current coaching team leading us to a T20 WC and WCQ next year.
My assumption is ZC is saving money by not appointing a coach until December...
Dave would be interim coach until then...
Dave might be a carrot to entice a foreign coach.
Houghton is also respected by the white boys Sean ; Craig and even Raza because of his resume so they might stay put...
Dave might bring some foreign based zimbos to play for Zimbabwe...

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 am
My assumption is ZC is saving money by not appointing a coach until December...
Dave would be interim coach until then...
Dave might be a carrot to entice a foreign coach.
Yes, the most sensible evaluation of the current state in my view too. Specially the first statement.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

I think ZC hired Houghton to be in charge of developing coaches, so he will supervisor all the franchise coaches and maintain a standard.

Also as part of his role Dave Houghton will work to develop some of the local franchise coaches or play a leading role in recruiting our next coach, only if he thinks non of the local guys have what it takes to coach a international side.

Remember at his county gig in UK he was not a coach rather he was a director of cricket meaning he was in charge of the whole set up including coaches.

In my view this is not necessary a bad move from ZC, because we will benefit from having someone with quality experience from a county set up, working with our coaches.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimlover wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 am
I think ZC hired Houghton to be in charge of developing coaches, so he will supervisor all the franchise coaches and maintain a standard.

Also as part of his role Dave Houghton will work to develop some of the local franchise coaches or play a leading role in recruiting our next coach, only if he thinks non of the local guys have what it takes to coach a international side.

Remember at his county gig in UK he was not a coach rather he was a director of cricket meaning he was in charge of the whole set up including coaches.

In my view this is not necessary a bad move from ZC, because we will benefit from having someone with quality experience from a county set up, working with our coaches.
Thats a weird role for a cash strapped organisation. just make him head coach and include this as part of the package, extra 15% pay.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*