Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Post by sam_ahm »

ZC have just announced the appointment of Dave houghton as coaching manager. I don't know what that role means and if Rajput is still in but what it does mean is that Dave will be involved in the coaching set up and that In itself is a very good thing.

I suspect it is a level above the coach, where Rajput reports to him??
Last edited by sam_ahm on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshmallow

Re: Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Post by Marshmallow »

Yesssssss! :D
Then what is coaching manager :(

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Probably involved with coach development so I suspect he will be working with coaches at all levels. He'll probably have some sway along with Hammy over national coaches. Then I suppose he will be tasked with developing a coaching structure, standards and guidelines that can be sued amongst coaches throughout the system and also in terms of coaching the coaches. Interesting appointment.

He's also coaching Mountaineers himself of course.

Hopefully the first thing he does is tell Rajput to do one. Let's see.

How long until he falls out with Hammy?

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

Houghton said in a interview maybe 5 years ago that if he ever goes back to Zim building up the academy again will be one of his priorities. I also think he's gonna be keen on keeping players in and around Zimbabwe aka not losing players fresh out of school to England. Think this will be a very good appointment

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It should be a very good appointment but much of his job appear to be things that should be done by the 'Director of Cricket'. So it's probably inevitable there will be a fall out at some stage. I just hope it's several years down the line and he can achieve a good amount before then.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Lets see how it goes. Pretty good news on the face of it. We expected something on these lines with his commentary stint in Scotland anyway.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:50 pm
It should be a very good appointment but much of his job appear to be things that should be done by the 'Director of Cricket'. So it's probably inevitable there will be a fall out at some stage. I just hope it's several years down the line and he can achieve a good amount before then.
Why do think like that? Hammy should have been involved in this appointment as well given his position, shouldn't be a fall out kind of scenario. I hope it goes all fine.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:06 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Why do think like that? Hammy should have been involved in this appointment as well given his position, shouldn't be a fall out kind of scenario. I hope it goes all fine.
'Hi Dave. Masakadza here. Do half my job for me. If you do well, I'll take the credit. If you do badly, you'll get fired and be the scapegoat and we'll blame you probably for being too white and terrible'.

Maybe I'm being too negative lol. :lol:

It is a really good appointment and I'm pleased!

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:11 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:06 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
'Hi Dave. Masakadza here. Do half my job for me. If you do well, I'll take the credit. If you do badly, you'll get fired and be the scapegoat and we'll blame you probably for being too white and terrible'.

Maybe I'm being too negative lol. :lol:

It is a really good appointment and I'm pleased!
LOL, I actually feel Hammy is not that bad. At least I liked him during his playing days. What surprised me though is that he couldn't do a thing to avoid Brendan's situation. A player he has played with for his entire career and these two were the face of Zimbabwe cricket for good 15 years.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Unless it’s areal cheap appointment it does seem strangely close to Hamilton’s ‘director of cricket’ role.
When you’re flush with cash I wouldn’t think twice but ZC are in a budget.
Sometimes these types of hires are designed to cannibalise the incumbent. If Ham wasn’t involved he is in a bit of trouble
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*