Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Dave Houghton appointed as ZC Coaching Manager

Post by secretzimbo »

https://twitter.com/GryllidaeC/status/1 ... 77/photo/1

For me, my OCD will never be able to forgive Dave for wearing his jumper in this all time classic photo :lol: Annoying!

Tbh I'm not quite as negative as Googly on this. Yes it will be hard for Houghton to make much of a lasting difference to the setup but if anyone can, it's probably him. Either way it's nice to see a legend back, standing there yesterday in a bright yellow and green Mountaineers training shirt. Ghastly, but nice to see regardless. As for the cricket culture being dead, I wouldn't go that far. It's greatly reduced but there's still some people that care - Houghton being one of them. I'd include Hami too. I think he cares. I just think he's realised the job is too big and he hasn't got a clue what to do - hence bringing various people on board to do it for him. Really Houghton should just be the director of cricket, and bin Hamilton off.

My problem isn't Houghton being brought in though. I'm really happy he has been. I'm just nervous for when it all implodes which it surely will do a couple of years down the line, in traditional ZC/Zimbabwe style.

At the end of the day they could easily just plod along with Mukuhlani & Masakadza in charge of everything, but they do keep trying to bring people in and give it a go. That keeps the 1% flicker of hope and faith in me alive.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Surprisingly I wasn't trying to be negative :lol:
You can only laugh at their antics or you'll end up cutting your wrists. I live in fear of them doing anything useful so I don't have to re-evaluate my opinion :lol:
I was hoping covid would have had a greater impact on the high risk admin staff. :lol: , but if you can dodge audits then Covid is a breeze.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Hami does not have to technical director to be an ambassador.

I think he was a good player, but from when he was captain and use to be on the front leading and talking about things, I don't think he is good enough to be leading things as an administrator.

The main issue is with Mukhulani and co, for sure, but I still don't see why Hammy gets credit for his current role.

zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimlover »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:24 am
Hami does not have to technical director to be an ambassador.

I think he was a good player, but from when he was captain and use to be on the front leading and talking about things, I don't think he is good enough to be leading things as an administrator.

The main issue is with Mukhulani and co, for sure, but I still don't see why Hammy gets credit for his current role.
I think Hami is our best chance at the moment, I don’t think there is anyone at the moment who has the patience and relationship to work with the board.

I think you are well aware that the ZC board only works well with people who they feel comfortable and secure with, if they feel that the individual may harbour some intent to over through the board then the relationship becomes dysfunctional as it was a couple of years ago with Heath streak.

At the top of my head I doubt that there is anyone in Zim who can actually engage with ZC fruitfully without being treated with contempt.

I am hoping that the players that have left cricket previously can start looking at working in ZC cricket structures so that at some stage they will be well positioned for a transition into cricket Adminstration.

The only way we are going to see the changes we want is if ex players take on Administrator role.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 pm
jaybro wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:47 am
This is a great appointment, and it’s very different to Hamilton’s job. As a coaching director Houghton will be in charge of coaching the coaches, making them better coaches.

This is a vital role, if Houghton can improve the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe this will in turn develop better cricketers.

Sean Bell was very vocal in saying that the standard of coaching in Zimbabwe wasn’t high enough, something we have all bemoaned about
What is Hamiltons job then?

The way I see it, the coaching manager would coach the coaches. So he would set the standard for the style of play and the philosophy that would be required across the levels. This is basically what the technical director does in every other sport. Develop and implement the philosophy.

I would also suspect that Houghton is not going to be coaching Rajput, because if that is the case, then you don't need Rajput. The national team coaching structure is what worries me the most. We have not heard anything since the last tour and his contract was meant to be up after it. Not a peep from ZC about what is happening, but also showing they are comfortable with his sub standard bullshit. I do not want Rajput and the current coaching team leading us to a T20 WC and WCQ next year.
Late reply, but Hamilton is director of cricket yeaah? Houghton is director of coaching. Dave will report to Hamilton, Hamilton oversees all departments, but he has people work underneath him.

That’s how it’s supposed to work, whether or not Hamilton is qualified or capable is another thing but it’s clearly a different role
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement