Logan cup 2021-22 squads

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Logan cup 2021-22 squads

Post by Googly »

Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 am
I reckon they are both currently ahead if him. Shumba is the cleanest hitter we've had since PJ Moor. Madhevere is the future if zimcricket. Myers reputation has exceeded his performances thus far, he is rather in danger of Marumani surpassing him
How can one person be the future of Zim cricket? There are literally dozens of Mashevere's throughout the other nations, particularly England, India and Australia.
Marumani would have to relearn his technique to ever be better than Myers. Great hand eye only gets you so far, if you don't have some fundamentals and a game plan you will be found out at the higher levels of cricket, particularly internationals.
Shumba is not the cleanest hitter we've had. I'm not knocking him, he's decent and had two good innings of late. One swallow doesn't make a summer, he has to build on that. We will soon see.
The upcoming internationals will put it all in perspective once again for us. We are struggling against Associates.
We are getting left further behind every day. Unless you have a bunch of extraordinary cricketers who have a full international schedule so they don't have to play too much domestic cricket you are only as good as your first class standard. You might find that's why a couple of players avoided playing FC, if it's a poor standard there's no real upside.
Lucrative T20 contracts are only given to world class players. Burl, Muzarabani and Raza in particular have been a bit fortunate getting T20 gigs. I'm not sure how Burl or Raza ever got picked ahead of Taylor. You generally only get them if your national side is doing well and you put in a couple of match winning performances, we don't play many T20's and generally get beaten. We've had some picks in the lesser T20 competitions on the strength of the fact that we are a full member so we must be good. That ship has left the harbour. Member nations avoid us like the plague and Associates want our spot and the crazy amount of money we get and constantly abuse. The reality is that we are very poorly placed. The most we can hope for is to beat Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Afghanistan, UAE and now Namibia fairly consistently. That gap has closed, we are right in the middle of that lot now.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 am
Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm
I said before- if you start with 3 days' notice ain't nobody going to arrive. Its bizarre that they can't announce the beginning of the season and stick to it year in and year out, what's difficult about that?
I don't know of anybody who's playing, maybe we will see one or two but I have my doubts.
Myers is at uni in UK. Unless there's some winter tours that he gets picked for we won't be seeing him for a long time.
I don't think you can come back from a 3 year hiatus. I don't see him being able to play a decent enough level of cricket over there, not with their new regulations.
I stand by my opinion that he was the best batsman amongst the current 4 that have had exposure, what a waste of time and money. He's been in the system for years and they've just let him walk out the door. We've waited years for a high quality young black batsman.
How's those little 3x3 white picket fences at the WC :lol:
You could train humans to eat grass and baa like sheep without too much difficulty.
Given that most universities have restructured since covid, I fail to see the motivation of these guys quitting a potentially lucrative international cricket career with global T20nprospects to go and hunker down on dome university campus for 3-4 years. They could easily enrol for distance education whilst earning good money playing club/international cricket, one shouldn't ne cr sssarily negate the other.
It doesn't make sense but I would assume a lot of parents have 0 faith in ZC and push their kids to pursue other things. Even Muyeye's father was talking about a degree for his son before things changed in their lives.

The thing that doesn't make sense is not doing the online option. I am yet to see somebody succesfuly come back from Uni and be better. I think even Hami was affected by that 3 year gap but then he can also argue that qualification he got almost 20 years helped him get his current job.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:19 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 am
I reckon they are both currently ahead if him. Shumba is the cleanest hitter we've had since PJ Moor. Madhevere is the future if zimcricket. Myers reputation has exceeded his performances thus far, he is rather in danger of Marumani surpassing him
How can one person be the future of Zim cricket? There are literally dozens of Mashevere's throughout the other nations, particularly England, India and Australia.
Marumani would have to relearn his technique to ever be better than Myers. Great hand eye only gets you so far, if you don't have some fundamentals and a game plan you will be found out at the higher levels of cricket, particularly internationals.
Shumba is not the cleanest hitter we've had. I'm not knocking him, he's decent and had two good innings of late. One swallow doesn't make a summer, he has to build on that. We will soon see.
The upcoming internationals will put it all in perspective once again for us. We are struggling against Associates.
We are getting left further behind every day. Unless you have a bunch of extraordinary cricketers who have a full international schedule so they don't have to play too much domestic cricket you are only as good as your first class standard. You might find that's why a couple of players avoided playing FC, if it's a poor standard there's no real upside.
Lucrative T20 contracts are only given to world class players. Burl, Muzarabani and Raza in particular have been a bit fortunate getting T20 gigs. I'm not sure how Burl or Raza ever got picked ahead of Taylor. You generally only get them if your national side is doing well and you put in a couple of match winning performances, we don't play many T20's and generally get beaten. We've had some picks in the lesser T20 competitions on the strength of the fact that we are a full member so we must be good. That ship has left the harbour. Member nations avoid us like the plague and Associates want our spot and the crazy amount of money we get and constantly abuse. The reality is that we are very poorly placed. The most we can hope for is to beat Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Afghanistan, UAE and now Namibia fairly consistently. That gap has closed, we are right in the middle of that lot now.
The good thing is that Ireland haven't really improved after becoming a full member and I would say 2 other big nations (Sri Lanka and South Africa) have also dropped down a level or 2. It buys us time to make a plan

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bud have you seen Sri Lanka's bowling attack in this T20 WC? They've got a long shot at it. They're damned good.

South Africa have slipped a fair distance, a bit of that is selection, but they've still got a lot of depth.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 am
Bud have you seen Sri Lanka's bowling attack in this T20 WC? They've got a long shot at it. They're damned good.

South Africa have slipped a fair distance, a bit of that is selection, but they've still got a lot of depth.
SL probably still light in the batting department, but yeah this bowling attack of theirs would absolutely rip our top order apart. Remember most of our guys are used to batting week-in week-out against John Nyumbu and Steve Chimhamhiwa....

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:23 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 am
Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm
I said before- if you start with 3 days' notice ain't nobody going to arrive. Its bizarre that they can't announce the beginning of the season and stick to it year in and year out, what's difficult about that?
I don't know of anybody who's playing, maybe we will see one or two but I have my doubts.
Myers is at uni in UK. Unless there's some winter tours that he gets picked for we won't be seeing him for a long time.
I don't think you can come back from a 3 year hiatus. I don't see him being able to play a decent enough level of cricket over there, not with their new regulations.
I stand by my opinion that he was the best batsman amongst the current 4 that have had exposure, what a waste of time and money. He's been in the system for years and they've just let him walk out the door. We've waited years for a high quality young black batsman.
How's those little 3x3 white picket fences at the WC :lol:
You could train humans to eat grass and baa like sheep without too much difficulty.
Given that most universities have restructured since covid, I fail to see the motivation of these guys quitting a potentially lucrative international cricket career with global T20nprospects to go and hunker down on dome university campus for 3-4 years. They could easily enrol for distance education whilst earning good money playing club/international cricket, one shouldn't ne cr sssarily negate the other.
It doesn't make sense but I would assume a lot of parents have 0 faith in ZC and push their kids to pursue other things. Even Muyeye's father was talking about a degree for his son before things changed in their lives.

The thing that doesn't make sense is not doing the online option. I am yet to see somebody succesfuly come back from Uni and be better. I think even Hami was affected by that 3 year gap but then he can also argue that qualification he got almost 20 years helped him get his current job.
Yep,
How many times have I said it.
Like every other professional sporting athlete or 9-5 grinders who study from home.
Maybe ZC can even foot the bill to keep him tied.
It’s only Zim cricketers who do this.
It’s based on nothing other than an old outdated way of thinking.
‘Because others did it’.
All these options were present when I finished uni nearly 15 years ago. Let alone now.

If you aren’t doing that you simply don’t want to, or never wil be, an elite cricketer.

I’d say that’s why we haven’t seen Murray. He knows he can’t anymore.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I suppose it depends what uni he has gone to in the UK. Anyone know? If he's at one of the MCCU uni's then he'll probably actually benefit massively. Although I'm not sure how that works with foreign students and visas and stuff - if they are excluded or not. If he's gone to a bog standard uni playing normal uni cricket then it will basically only be the same standard as average UK club cricket. And even then I don't know what the eligibility is like as he wont be paid as the club 'pro'.

If he's got some secret UK passport or eligibility hiding somewhere then we are fucked.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Murray is not at uni In UK. What are you guys going on about. Or are you taking about muyeye

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Zimco wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 pm
Murray is not at uni In UK. What are you guys going on about. Or are you taking about muyeye
We are talking about Dion Myers.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

I think someone said Myers had a place at Southampton but I stand to be corrected on that. Not sure if that is affiliated with a UCCE.

On the subject of Murray, does anyone know why he changed his mind when it seemed he was destined to return?