Logan cup 2021-22 squads

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan cup 2021-22 squads

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm
I think someone said Myers had a place at Southampton but I stand to be corrected on that. Not sure if that is affiliated with a UCCE.

On the subject of Murray, does anyone know why he changed his mind when it seemed he was destined to return?
Myers - No Southampton isn't MCCU/UCC. He'll be playing amateur cricket for three years then. This is so fucking frustrating. Unless he pays for private coaching (extremely expensive by Zim standards - although he is wealthy). Either he'll come back like Hami and be decent but ultimately half the player he could have been, or we'll never hear of him again like Murray.

Murray - People were saying he had signed for Rocks as recently as a month or two back. Not sure why he changed his mind. As Doggy said, maybe he's just realised he isn't good enough after so long out of the game. I don't think he's even played at any level at all since finishing uni 12-18 months back.

Googly

Post by Googly »

An MCCU University would not allow him to play.
I see that Dean Gibbs, who should have been a shoe in for u19, but probably wouldn't have been selected has been offered a Dolphins contract. This youngster is a good player, bowls reasonably quick with good line and length and moves it and is a top order bat.
It's a better option for us, because unless he suddenly sets it alight he will eventually get frustrated about not being able to go further than that and will hopefully be exposed to SA franchise standard cricket, which is a lot better than ours.
The reality is we will potentially have Matigimu and Gibbs at some point in the next 5 years or so perhaps wanting to play international cricket, if we are still afloat by then.
I doubt Murray thinks he's not good enough, I'd bet something has not worked out.
One of the problems we face is having these three young guys who've done reasonably well, ZC now thinks that's all we need and won't bother courting anyone else. It's so short sighted it's painful. We've also got this u19 keeper batsman who's just scored 100 against Mountaineers, although I'm not sure what he's like as a keeper. I will put my c#$ on a block he's not in the same dept as Murray with the gloves.
Murray does seem to want to get a bit of red carpet treatment, which just isn't going to happen.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Wolhuter? Really promising bat, dominated for Falcon - but was a part time keeper and I don't think he'll go on to be a wicketkeeper full-time. I think he used to share the gloves with Marumani at Falcon and there wasn't much difference between them. Steven Saul from Peterhouse is very very good with the gloves. I don't want to say as good as Murray but certainly not far off at this age from what I've seen and heard. Welch - Saul - Wolhuter - Bawa - B Bennett is a really promising top five for the u19's, maybe *almost* as exciting as the 2020 batch. Now let's see how they fuck up the selection........ :lol: I doubt any of them will stay committed after the WC anyway. It is frankly miraculous how we keep churning out talent somehow. I don't think anyone knows how it happens even. It just does.

If Gibbs and Matigimu ever came back that would be fun. Although I doubt they will!

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm
An MCCU University would not allow him to play.
I see that Dean Gibbs, who should have been a shoe in for u19, but probably wouldn't have been selected has been offered a Dolphins contract. This youngster is a good player, bowls reasonably quick with good line and length and moves it and is a top order bat.
It's a better option for us, because unless he suddenly sets it alight he will eventually get frustrated about not being able to go further than that and will hopefully be exposed to SA franchise standard cricket, which is a lot better than ours.
The reality is we will potentially have Matigimu and Gibbs at some point in the next 5 years or so perhaps wanting to play international cricket, if we are still afloat by then.
I doubt Murray thinks he's not good enough, I'd bet something has not worked out.
One of the problems we face is having these three young guys who've done reasonably well, ZC now thinks that's all we need and won't bother courting anyone else. It's so short sighted it's painful. We've also got this u19 keeper batsman who's just scored 100 against Mountaineers, although I'm not sure what he's like as a keeper. I will put my c#$ on a block he's not in the same dept as Murray with the gloves.
Murray does seem to want to get a bit of red carpet treatment, which just isn't going to happen.
If you have a good job in the UK, perhaps you do want a bit of red carpet treatment or why is it worth the risk from someone in that position.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya can't argue with that. Players with options are not wanted. Hes put on a bit of weight I see, which is always a sign that you've taken your foot off the gas. It's a pity, he's a fantastic keeper.

Clearly time spent playing English cricket has helped Wolhuter. I'm trying to find some stats for him and Bhawa at Eastbourne but am struggling. I watched Saul keep against Namibia, he struggled with the spin. I'm yet to see Wolhuter. I'd also like to see Welch, but if he's going to open it's a tough ask to keep as well, but Saul also keeps and opens. I think keeping and opening for a youngster is too much, particularly if you field first.
If Wolhuter keeps for the next few games it will be an indication that he's secured that spot.
It all depends what their comfort levels are with white kids, it's currently about 50:50. That would surprise everyone, they're leaving it late to introduce any black guys they may have overlooked. There was a chunky SA based seamer that was very promising, I'd think he will re-appear and I heard there was yet another really sharp black seamer (SA based) that we are yet to see. Holding a second string Mountaineers side to below 300 and then getting 230 in reply is not too bad.

Whilst playing against the franchises is fantastic it's a pity there doesn't seem to be any u19 sides lined up. It's a different type of pressure, perhaps they're not as good as a men's side but the sledging and intensity is immense, these kids go hard at each other and it definitely affects some of them.
Have the WC dates actually been confirmed yet?

Googly

Post by Googly »

That scoreline tells a story actually. Maybe Mountaineers are the weakest side this year, but pro cricketers should be posting 350 plus and should be able to roll some part time schoolboys (most haven't played much in the last 2 years) for less than 200.
An English u19 side that had 3 or so contracted players and a bunch of other really good cricketers would get absolutely annihilated by one of the first team county sides.
It will be interesting to see how they go against the other franchises, maybe that was a good day.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Welch Saul Bawa and the German sounding wicket keeper are bright talents as well as Bennett brothers. They should aim for higher than 11th in next world Cup. Hope they get a favourable draw

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Good point, and on paper Mountaineers are the worst franchise this year, although to be fair it was pretty much Mountaineers B playing the u19's. Half the side definitely aren't 'pros'. Who's that Asian fella who scored the runs for Mountaineers? Isn't he the young lad from OH? If he's the guy I'm thinking of then I'm pretty sure he's u19, or maybe just older than the cutoff now?

And yeah you're right about it seeming very white. Surely they'll find a few extra blacks from somewhere before the WC. Although the fact its been the same squad two weeks in a row makes me think they are pretty settled on it. I'm surprised the younger Makoni boy hasn't been involved. Because of the obvious nepotism but also he seems to be an okayish prospect.

What happened to Gratitude Jaya? He was well fancied at one point. Think he played NPL last year and trained with a franchise. Maybe he's slightly too old.

Nzvenga, Zvinoera and Mg Dube were the other black names I thought would be involved. There was another keeper, Tavinga or Tuvinga or something like that.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Any pace bowling prospects?

It seems a very batsman heavy squad. Can anyone refute or confirm that statement? Do we have any good young quicks to complement the obvious taken in batting dept

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

There should definitely be a separate U-19 thread at this point. It's getting hard to keep track of all the talk, we've spoken about the U-19s in maybe 3 separate threads by now. :lol: