Who will be this seasons Roy Kaia?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Who will be this seasons Roy Kaia?

Post by secretzimbo »

So with the domestic season now in full swing I thought I would ask; who is on your under-the-radar watchlist this year?

Who will be this seasons Roy Kaia. Nowhere near the national team at the start of the season, but dominated domestically and becomes a certain selection by the end of it? (Let's hope whoever it is, does better than Kaia though - he's been utterly dreadful and I hope we don't see him again).

So this needs to be someone who hasn't made their national team debut in any format (I know Kaia played 1 ODI 6 years ago but he didnt bowl or bat, so not sure it 'counts'!) and isn't really near the national team at all yet.

Kudzai Maunze the early frontrunner after his mammoth score last week.

Who else are you keeping your eye on?

cricket_22001

Re: Who will be this seasons Roy Kaia?

Post by cricket_22001 »

I’ll say Charles Kunje. Only on the basis he meets the criteria of not having a national call up.
I actually hope Brian Mudzinganyama & Tony Munyonga can cash in on their opportunities & develop.
Also, I’m confused about how Kamunhukamwe can develop while batting so low for the Eagles. I see Chibhabha & Mutombodzi are batting above him. So is he a top order or middle order bat? Chibhabha batting at 4 for Eagles! The position of the best batsman in the side!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:46 am
I actually hope Brian Mudzinganyama & Tony Munyonga can cash in on their opportunities & develop.
Yeah, I'm hoping for exactly those two.

For the uncapped category, the leg spin fanatic in me hopes for Chipungu's growth.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

What are the Test matches ZIM have coming up? Is it 1 or 2 matches vs AFG? Bangladesh are touring in the winter for 2 Tests - hopefully doesn't get trimmed to a one off like last time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Ernest Masuku for me.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:24 am
What are the Test matches ZIM have coming up? Is it 1 or 2 matches vs AFG? Bangladesh are touring in the winter for 2 Tests - hopefully doesn't get trimmed to a one off like last time.
Bangladesh are coming back to Zim for Tests again? Thats the first I've heard - link? Ban funded the last test entirely (Hence they cut it down to 1 match) so considering how uncompetitive we were in that I'm surprised they are keen to come back so soon at such expense.

I highly doubt the Afg Test will happen either. As with any Tests we host, the away team usually funds most of it, especially the broadcast. Can Afghanistan/Afghan media afford that post-Taliban? Also still strong question marks over their Test status in the interim.

The only things people have been briefed on in Zim are; 3 ODIs v Afg, 3 ODIs v Ned, 'A' Tour away to Pak, 'A' Tour home to Pak, and possible something with SA in January but not sure what that is all about.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

For me my eye is on the wicketkeepers. Regie has had a very good year and cemented his place as a senior member of the team s isn't going anywhere soon. But we need a backup, and realistically thats not going to be Mutumbami or Moor.

Bright Matsiwe showed promise with the gloves and had 1 or 2 god knocks with the bat last season - so it's disappointing that he hasn't got the gloves for Rhinos atm. Mayavo is never going to make it so I'd rather see Matsiwe given the gloves for an extended run.

Clive Madande is another very young keeper but with Ncube, Moor & Chari all at Tuskers its unlikely he'll be given much/any of a chance unfortunately.

Tafadzwa Tsiga - has had a disappointing senior career with the bat but he's a very god glovesman and I remain convinced their is a batsman hiding in there somehow. Again, being blocked from the gloves by Mutumbami currently which is frustrating.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 am

Bangladesh are coming back to Zim for Tests this winter? Thats the first I've heard - link? Ban funded the last test entirely (Hence they cut it down to 1 match) so considering how uncompetitive we were in that I'm surprised they are keen to come back so soon at such expense.

I highly doubt the Afg Test will happen either. As with any Tests we host, the away team usually funds most of it, especially the broadcast. Can Afghanistan/Afghan media afford that post-Taliban? Also still strong question marks over their Test status in the interim.

The only things people have been briefed on in Zim are; 3 ODIs v Afg, 3 ODIs v Ned, 'A' Tour away to Pak, 'A' Tour home to Pak, and possible something with SA in January but not sure what that is all about.
BD tour is in the FTP. Of course its 90% likely the 2 tests get cut down to 1, but I'm hoping it doesn't. Still early to tell what happens with Afghan cricket in the post-Taliban era. I can't see the ICC changing their status since Afghan cricket is the cricket world's one success story. At least I hope their status remains intact. What will happen is the white countries will most likely boycott the Afghans outside of international tournaments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:12 am

BD tour is in the FTP. Of course its 90% likely the 2 tests get cut down to 1, but I'm hoping it doesn't. Still early to tell what happens with Afghan cricket in the post-Taliban era. I can't see the ICC changing their status since Afghan cricket is the cricket world's one success story. At least I hope their status remains intact. What will happen is the white countries will most likely boycott the Afghans outside of international tournaments.
Sorry, yes. I've been dealing with a Greek client all week so very much had my northern hemisphere hat on with regards to 'winter' lol. Next July - ouch. That's a long wait for a Test. That Ireland Test almost certainly won't happen either - they are even poorer than us.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Roy Kaia doing Roy Kaia things again haha. A century whilst injured!!