Is Dion Myers gone for the next 4 years?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Is Dion Myers gone for the next 4 years?

Post by CholeZimbo »

Donald wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:44 pm
A statement from myers or the mysterious Zimbabwe cricket communications department might be helpful 😂😂.
Might be helpful for clarity
That board is unbothered when it comes to clarifying anything.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:53 pm
Donald wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:44 pm
A statement from myers or the mysterious Zimbabwe cricket communications department might be helpful 😂😂.
Might be helpful for clarity
That board is unbothered when it comes to clarifying anything.
Let them first thank BT properly.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:23 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am
He's deadset blown his cricketing career. You don't come back to elite level from 4 years out of the game.

Stupid beccause he couldve done it part time online.

that said, wasnt that always his plan? I remember hearing bout this a while ago from googly or someone.
Hamilton did a similar sort of thing, and probably that played a part in motivating his current position. If Myers is as talented as we know he is, why would he fail to reestablish himself in 3 or 4 years at age 22/23? Unless he loses interest in the game. Again, given the situation in Zim, A degree in England is definitely worth it, and doing it online is definitely not as good in the eyes of employers. Bottom line, ZC is an unstable employer, and this makes the option he has taken more lucrative.
The same Hamilton that scored a world record test century on debut at 17? Then spent 2007-2015 in and out of the post rebel team?
He could have been Brian Lara.
Cricket is a game where you need to be finely tuner and constantly inproving. He’s not going to be a star if he sits out these critical years.
Even club cricketers can’t bounce back to their best after that.
For sure, he could come back to the Logan cup considering it’s lack of depth and his natural talent. But he will go the Hammy route bets case scenario which is still a negative.
And why would doing it online not be as worth much to employers? Why would they even know? How would they know? Why would they check?
In the 14 years since I finished my own business degree, no one has ever checked and I’ve worked at 10 jobs in that time and applied for countless more.

There’s no employer that I have ever heard that would begrudge an international athlete a career because he studies part time while competing.
In fact having his name (if he makes it) would be a huge draw card in the corporate world. Helped Cremer land a finance gig.
To be frank I’m shocked you think otherwise.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am
He's deadset blown his cricketing career. You don't come back to elite level from 4 years out of the game.

Stupid beccause he couldve done it part time online.

that said, wasnt that always his plan? I remember hearing bout this a while ago from googly or someone.
Hamilton did a similar sort of thing, and probably that played a part in motivating his current position. If Myers is as talented as we know he is, why would he fail to reestablish himself in 3 or 4 years at age 22/23? Unless he loses interest in the game. Again, given the situation in Zim, A degree in England is definitely worth it, and doing it online is definitely not as good in the eyes of employers. Bottom line, ZC is an unstable employer, and this makes the option he has taken more lucrative.
The same Hamilton that scored a world record test century on debut at 17? Then spent 2007-2015 in and out of the post rebel team?
Cricket is a game where you need to be finely tuner and constantly inproving. He’s not going to be a star if he sits out these critical years.
For sure, he could come back to the Logan cup considering it’s lack of depth and his natural talent. But he will go the Hammy route bets case scenario which is still a negative.
And why would doing it online not be as worth much to employers? Why would they even know? How would they know? Why would they check?
In the 14 years since I finished my own business degree, no one has ever checked and I’ve worked at 10 jobs in that time and applied for countless more.

There’s no employer that I have ever heard that would begrudge an international athlete a career because he studies part time while competing.
In fact having his name (if he makes it) would be a huge draw card in the corporate world. Helped Cremer land a finance gig.
I know you are a big proponent of the online degree but you have to acknowledge that yes you can do a business degree online but an employee is definitely going to prefer an engineering degree taught in person. Second, if he wants to live in UK for sometime an online degree would mean he would stay in Zim as the reason many people do an in person degree is so they can stay on in the country afterwards on some sort of working visa. Given that his brother is in UK and did a degree and then stayed, I feel that had a contributing factor. Maybe he has a UK passport, but I would think he most likely doesn't and if so the above applies more so.

Although unlikely, he could have even got a scholarship to university

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:03 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:

I know you are a big proponent of the online degree but you have to acknowledge that yes you can do a business degree online but an employee is definitely going to prefer an engineering degree taught in person. Second, if he wants to live in UK for sometime an online degree would mean he would stay in Zim as the reason many people do an in person degree is so they can stay on in the country afterwards on some sort of working visa. Given that his brother is in UK and did a degree and then stayed, I feel that had a contributing factor. Maybe he has a UK passport, but I would think he most likely doesn't and if so the above applies more so.

There is some degrees that can’t be done online but most can. Not sure about engineering.
But online degrees aren’t marked as such so again, how would anyone know?
And if you wanted to be an elite athlete that’s what you’d do with all the other elite athletes.

The second half touches on the most likely real reason for this.
He’s earmarked England as a place to live and settle.

That’s what this is really about.
You don’t see county or Sheffield Shield cricketers drop out ‘to study’ do you?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Doggy I'd agree with you on saying that this kid probably had an eye on living and working in the UK after uni and that the short stint he had playing for Zim actually came as a surprise and was not even part of his long term plan. Probably he himself never thought he would be good enough for international cricket, especially months after leaving high school.

As for Hamilton, I think many other factors played a part in his career not blossoming rather than him going to uni and losing his mojo. A lot of cricketers have gone on to fail even after such brilliant starts. So I do not think Myers coming back to play for Zim at age 23 will affect any potential he has unless he actually never had it (He really has not done much compared to Wes and Shumba tbh). Maybe if he was leaving as a 24 year old to come back at 28 I'd agree to some extent.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well how does his brother do a degree and then stay on?
Home Office usually calls you about 3 weeks after you've finished your degree and ask you when you're fucking off back from whence you came.
Something doesn't quite add up. Either he has more eligibility than your average international student or....
If there's a way to fudge a system you can trust a Zimbabwean to find it :lol:, not that I'm suggesting anything untoward :lol:
So if DM has some kind of extra foot in the door he may well get to play some decent cricket there.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Home Office usually calls you about 3 weeks after you've finished your degree and ask you when you're fucking off back from whence you came.
Something doesn't quite add up. Either he has more eligibility than your average international student or....
If there's a way to fudge a system you can trust a Zimbabwean to find it :lol:, not that I'm suggesting anything untoward :lol:
So if DM has some kind of extra foot in the door he may well get to play some decent cricket there.
Spot on Googly! :lol: trust a Zimbo to always find loopholes in immigration law.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Maybe he got a sponsored work visa? Not easy to get as a graduate there but depends what he studied and how smart he is, or who he knows.

If he graduated this year then he can stay for 2-years visa free now. This is the real worry now for Zim cricketers we lose.

Dion’s degree might be 3 or 4 years but effectively he can stay there for 5 or 6 years now. :/

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:19 pm
Zimco wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:03 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

There is some degrees that can’t be done online but most can. Not sure about engineering.
But online degrees aren’t marked as such so again, how would anyone know?
And if you wanted to be an elite athlete that’s what you’d do with all the other elite athletes.

The second half touches on the most likely real reason for this.
He’s earmarked England as a place to live and settle.

That’s what this is really about.
You don’t see county or Sheffield Shield cricketers drop out ‘to study’ do you?
It's different here though. The Sheffield cricketers are either recognised from a young age and then already being paid well in shield or two are playing grade cricket and working/studying at same time. When they get a shield contract then they leave their job or pause their studies.

Zim doesn't have those jobs which players can do whilst coming up the pathway and or the Logan cup doesn't pay well.