Logan Cup 3-6 Nov | Rocks V Mountaineers | Eagles V Tuskers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Logan Cup 3-6 Nov | Rocks V Mountaineers | Eagles V Tuskers

Post by TapsC2 »

Shumba has an average of about 38 in the long format after 14 games. He has had a much better start than Wesley there who is about to get to 30 after 12 games.

What worries me the most is that Burl has played 25 FC games in total and he is 27. Those kids are 21 and they have played half that amount already. Burl gets injured regularly

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Williams played club cricket in Bulawayo yesterday. Signs that he is not done yet.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:15 am
Williams played club cricket in Bulawayo yesterday. Signs that he is not done yet.
Great news. Maybe he's just focusing on white-ball cricket? Or maybe he just requested a break. Hope he's back for Tuskers next week!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:07 am
Shumba has an average of about 38 in the long format after 14 games. He has had a much better start than Wesley there who is about to get to 30 after 12 games.

What worries me the most is that Burl has played 25 FC games in total and he is 27. Those kids are 21 and they have played half that amount already. Burl gets injured regularly
Think Burl is having a break rather than injured.

He has been in bubbles for most of the year and then went to the EPL. Not the worst thing to have a break and then return for the white ball stuff.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Is it a case of the National guys do t get paid for extra Logan cup games so they don’t feel inclined to play unless they feel like it?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Donald

Post by Donald »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:39 am
Is it a case of the National guys do t get paid for extra Logan cup games so they don’t feel inclined to play unless they feel like it?
Williams probably had a hunch about afghan test 😂😂.

If it's definetly off makes sense to concentrate on white ball stuff. Whether ZC is happy with him sitting out 3 4 day games is another matter

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
I don't think they get paid extra, as the national guys are on a monthly salary regardless of the fixture list. Generally their contracts oblige them to play domestic matches nowadays but presumably (hopefully?) ZC are understanding of guys needs and happy for Burl to have a break after a busy year. Williams probably requested a break after the drama in Ireland.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:41 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
I don't think they get paid extra, as the national guys are on a monthly salary regardless of the fixture list. Generally their contracts oblige them to play domestic matches nowadays but presumably (hopefully?) ZC are understanding of guys needs and happy for Burl to have a break after a busy year. Williams probably requested a break after the drama in Ireland.
Ireckon this explains why he and BT are/were always lethargic to play Logan or missed out completely and why Ervine (bar this weekend) seems to treat them like a net session
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

A couple of milestones from this round.
Kasuza passed 3000 LC runs.
Ngavara passed 50 LC wickets.
A missed one from earlier, Chakabva has the most dismissals as a wicket keeper in LC. This stat is the most difficult to keep on top of. So many Zimbos(is this a negative term?) are keeper batsman & have played exclusively as batsman but taken catches in the field. So these catches are excluded from wicket keeping records. Cricinfo has seasonal records which include wicket keeping & I owe them greatly. I do tend to wait before updating as they seem to audit their stuff.
Now, a rant. This issue about senior players picking & choosing where & when they play gets up my nose, but with a caveat.
If Williams, for example, is hanging around the squad & able to give advice & mentor, that's fine. But if he's kicking his heels up drinking mojitos, not fine. If he's retired, then fine.
It seems to be unstated & not addressed that the senior players are inspirations & role models to the junior members of the squad. The comment was made that Ervine is the perfect person for Shumba to learn from. So is Williams. Now Makoni & Madande are making a mark. How much knowledge has Williams got that could be passed down. Also, when the senior player is playing, the opposition get to feed from this experience. And, if it still happens, the post day/match social gathering where all players used to talk nothing but cricket.
Burl seems to be a bloke who needs to manage his body. But he needs to step up. He is heir apparent to Raza & Williams but Shumba & Madhevere have overtaken him. Burl is 27 & still batting low in internationals. I'm sure he was being touted as an opener at one stage. Just having a break doesn't cut it with me. He would be the most senior member (in terms of international experience) in the Rhinos team. But, again, a caveat. If he's around the squad at games & training, I can cut him slack.
I'll also cut senior players slack if there are pay issues with your board.
But, really, you guys don't play that much to warrant mid season breaks. The work load of far too many players of other countries shows how much you can play. Sorry if I offend.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

^^^^^
I 100% agree.

This is a problem we have been facing over the last decade. Does this happen in other test playing nations?