Gary Ballance Statement

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Re: Gary Ballance Statement

Post by Tinah09 »

Kallum wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 pm
Latest update,

Ballance has been indefinitely suspended from selection by the ECB and Yorkshire is also suspended of holding any further international cricket. If i where Yorkshire i would be (firstly not racist in the first place) getting the board to fall on their sword so fast (why they havent gone is almost South African levels of nepotism). The fans of Yorkshire who are probably the most passionate left on the county circuit are being punished so hard because of their club effectively letting them all down.

With regards to Ballance, Yorkshire should buy him out of his contract to try and win some points with the press, which would obviously leave him unemployed and without future prospects in England...

He is facing serious allegations, the sporting world has become highly intolerant of racism. I'm not a lawyer, but i think there are grounds for contract termination. He is costing the club/ county money, he is replaceable, its not like he's in Babar, Kohli and Root's league

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:27 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
Have you got a link to that article? Mapaure has got that completely wrong. Nothing I've read indicates that Ballance thought Pakistani was OK.

It's a bit weird, it's an abbreviation of Pakistan and it seems Pakistan with an i on the end is also a snag? I'm yet to understand what you call a person who hails from Pakistan without causing offence.
There's limited options- Pakistanish, Pakistanian, Pakistanilese.

So far it seems Ballance has been singled out by the press and not specifically by Rafiq and he seems to be owning it and it's a guarantee that there were slurs from all parties. Rafik's latest statement says his main grievances are against institutionalised racism within the club. I don't know how you make that stick, but if they're going to try and prevent further sponsorship losses and any possible ECB punitive measures at least one key Board member is going to have to resign and Ballance potentially faces the axe.
There are worse things financially than getting bought out of his 3 year contract, that's a big pay day. Were he to decide to go public on what exactly was said and by whom over the years that would be a big deal, but it doesn't sound like he'd stoop to that.
It’s funny because in Australia none of which are a slur.
Most headlines in cricket when Pakistan are here say ‘aussies bowl out the Pakis for 202 etc’
I can't see Sky or anyone else in AUS running that headline. Don't know what kind of media you're consuming...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 pm
Surprise surprise, Michael Vaughan is involved (horrible bloke).
Haha yeah, not surprising - he's posted some controversial stuff before.

One of his greatest hits, suggesting Moeen Ali is responsible for going around telling Muslims not to bomb places :D
https://twitter.com/_waqastufail/status ... 36?lang=fr
Wow!!! I expected occasional racism in the county system. It appears to be rather systematic. If high profile players like Vaughan, Ballance are this racist, I cannot imagine how deep the racism goes. Moen Ali, Jofra Archer obviously have their own stories to tell. Good luck to Muyeye and other black and brown British hopefuls

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Most headlines in cricket when Pakistan are here say ‘aussies bowl out the Pakis for 202 etc’
Just because it's been published before, does not make it not racist. Australia is known to have quite a racist culture that often gets passed off as banter or mateship. Taking the mick out of each other. Doesn't make it right.

There are some terminologies which carry clear racists connotations. So for him to be called a 'Pakistani' comes from a racist context. To be called a zimbo, does not.

Ballance is in the wrong. It's quite clear, and he won't be the last. It's quite clear that people will keep making mistakes. What is astonishing is that we still have boards and leaders who think they can get away with things by just brushing them under the rug and hoping it will just be forgotten. The Yorkshire board has found itself in some serious issues. Racism now more than ever is on the forefront of all sports organisations and so they need to be seen to be doing something. YCB needs a clean out and they need it quick.

As for Ballance coming back to Zim. He obviously won't have a county career after this. I don't see how he could really. He could come back to the Zim lifestyle, but the chances of ZC wanting anything to do with a white man who has been found guilty of racism are little to none.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 pm
Kallum wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 pm
Latest update,

Ballance has been indefinitely suspended from selection by the ECB and Yorkshire is also suspended of holding any further international cricket. If i where Yorkshire i would be (firstly not racist in the first place) getting the board to fall on their sword so fast (why they havent gone is almost South African levels of nepotism). The fans of Yorkshire who are probably the most passionate left on the county circuit are being punished so hard because of their club effectively letting them all down.

With regards to Ballance, Yorkshire should buy him out of his contract to try and win some points with the press, which would obviously leave him unemployed and without future prospects in England...

He is facing serious allegations, the sporting world has become highly intolerant of racism. I'm not a lawyer, but i think there are grounds for contract termination. He is costing the club/ county money, he is replaceable, its not like he's in Babar, Kohli and Root's league
Is that the same contract he signed in September of this year, whilst the investigation was basically almost finished and everyone at Yorkshire were completely aware of his behaviour over many years? He'll have fun with that one in the courts if he wishes.

Yorkshire are the story here. Ballance is but 1% of it.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:30 pm

As for Ballance coming back to Zim. He obviously won't have a county career after this. I don't see how he could really. He could come back to the Zim lifestyle, but the chances of ZC wanting anything to do with a white man who has been found guilty of racism are little to none.
He probably doesn't need to. He's already probably the highest earner at Yorkshire. If they buy him out of a 3-year contract he'll be rolling in it, and I'm sure he's got some stories to sell to the papers as well.....

Almost his entire family still lives in Zim and he spends time here every year in the off season. He can probably afford to retire and live a comfortable life here if he wants.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Dave Houghton is the only person who could convince him to play for Zim. From my understanding he is the one who facilitated his county move and he is a relative of Houghton's wife or something like that. I also don't think ZC would mind as long as he fits their "budget". They could also run it as "oh look we replaced BT, no need to panic, everything is ok".

To be honest i don't think he needs to play cricket IF they buy him out. Also if money isn't an issue then a quick fire international career with 2 world cups(if we qualify of course) in the space of 2 years and the possibility of a few T20 gigs might interest him. If he can have such a successful county career then he can definitely take the likes of Scotland and the UAE to the cleaners in a T20. Maybe reinvent himself. It will be interesting to see what happens

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:23 pm
"Yorkshire's Gary Ballance, who has admitted using racist language towards ex-team-mate Rafiq, has been suspended indefinitely from England selection.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59169535

ZimCricket dodged a bullet when this bloke decided to pursue cricket for England. He has become the de facto global face of racism in sports.
Jesus mate calm down.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:25 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:23 pm
"Yorkshire's Gary Ballance, who has admitted using racist language towards ex-team-mate Rafiq, has been suspended indefinitely from England selection.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59169535

ZimCricket dodged a bullet when this bloke decided to pursue cricket for England. He has become the de facto global face of racism in sports.
Jesus mate calm down.
Well, he is trending worldwide...maybe he should have calmed down and oh, i don't know...not be a racist!!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
Have you got a link to that article? Mapaure has got that completely wrong. Nothing I've read indicates that Ballance thought Pakistani was OK.

It's a bit weird, it's an abbreviation of Pakistan and it seems Pakistan with an i on the end is also a snag? I'm yet to understand what you call a person who hails from Pakistan without causing offence.
There's limited options- Pakistanish, Pakistanian, Pakistanilese.

So far it seems Ballance has been singled out by the press and not specifically by Rafiq and he seems to be owning it and it's a guarantee that there were slurs from all parties. Rafik's latest statement says his main grievances are against institutionalised racism within the club. I don't know how you make that stick, but if they're going to try and prevent further sponsorship losses and any possible ECB punitive measures at least one key Board member is going to have to resign and Ballance potentially faces the axe.
There are worse things financially than getting bought out of his 3 year contract, that's a big pay day. Were he to decide to go public on what exactly was said and by whom over the years that would be a big deal, but it doesn't sound like he'd stoop to that.
I can't see Sky or anyone else in AUS running that headline. Don't know what kind of media you're consuming...
Sydney morning Herald and Daily telegraph.
i actually once posted some screenshot headlines to prove it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*