ICC T20 World Cup 2022 [ Australia ] : Qualifiers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: ICC T20 World Cup 2022 [ Australia ] : Qualifiers

Post by CalZim »

Xlife wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:51 pm
It seems a lot of people here are overly optimistic about Zimbabwe making it through these qualifiers... Given our history, I can see Zim sailing through the group stages but then facing a tricky side like the Dutch in the semis and folding under pressure.

There's only one critical game and that is the semi final, everything that happens before then is close to meaningless (assuming we get through)
I think we should be optimistic. None of our opponents have a proper domestic system. Each side probably has 2 players at best that would fit in our team barring the dutch. We are playing at home and have played a lot of cricket recently against some quality opposition.

We should be aiming to win this without a scratch or else we truly are fucked. Not qualifying would just be an absolute disaster.

Even if we play the Dutch in the semis I’m not worried, we are a better side than the Dutch.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's like what the Sri Lankan captain said- not an easy game without big hitters against a good side.
Fortunately I don't think many of the opposing teams have many big hitters either.
Players that can pull the trigger and clear the boundary by miles are rare.
Ya I'd be persevering with Marumani, problem is where does he bat? We appear to have guys that prefer accumulating and you almost have to " hide" them up front which means a slow start which is not a good thing. That's essentially what you're doing as well- hiding them. They're pointless in the middle and lower order.
Our really slow starters appear to be Kaia and Ervine and who knows with Williams. Hopefully we will see a new approach.
Starting slow and backing yourself to catch up is not a good look if you get out on 20 off 20, or even 15 off 15.

Donald

Post by Donald »

innocent kaia has been a breath of fresh air in the one day international matches. He is the one redeeeming feature of the afghanistan tour.

However that is where it ends for me. He should not really be getting a look in in the 20/20 matches

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Marumani and Ervine to open please!

Can’t see them dropping or even moving Wes though

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

CalZim wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:51 am
Xlife wrote:
It seems a lot of people here are overly optimistic about Zimbabwe making it through these qualifiers... Given our history, I can see Zim sailing through the group stages but then facing a tricky side like the Dutch in the semis and folding under pressure.

There's only one critical game and that is the semi final, everything that happens before then is close to meaningless (assuming we get through)
I think we should be optimistic. None of our opponents have a proper domestic system. Each side probably has 2 players at best that would fit in our team barring the dutch. We are playing at home and have played a lot of cricket recently against some quality opposition.

We should be aiming to win this without a scratch or else we truly are fucked. Not qualifying would just be an absolute disaster.

Even if we play the Dutch in the semis I’m not worried, we are a better side than the Dutch.
I agree that on paper, Zimbabwe shouuld qualify but games are not won on paper. The very nature of T20 makes an upset more likely as it only takes one player or one extremely bad over to turn a game.

What has Zimbabwe's recent record been when it comes to high pressure do or die games? (anyone remember UAE?)

The one major thing I hope Houghton has managed to work on over the last few weeks is their mental toughness

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd like to see Burl in the top 4. This guy is a good player.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Zimbabwe will aim for their first WC appearance since 2016, after missing out on 2019 WC and 2021 T20 WC, so there is a lot riding on this.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

How's the weather folks? Hope we won't see any washouts during the week.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:

This is an interesting point.
Regardless of who we are playing. Dutch or not, reading this message made me realise that it’s all about the semi only.
If we don’t make the semi we don’t deserve it. But if we do, we are up against a better than most associate and the new age Zimbabwe mindset is one of choking.
It will be very nerve racking. Ervine and Wes get out early and we could be looking at a 135 type score that would be hard to defend.

Luckily wd will have some more common sense coaching from Dave should this situation happen. Fraudput didn’t seem to be able to guide the team when they were going through a collapse. It was headless chickens.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

We are going to have to bowl teams out cheaply. There's probably a similar chance we'll shine and cruise to 5 wins or choke and collapse in the semi. Going to be a stressful week