Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Post by TapsC2 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:14 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:17 am
Not saying I want Wellington to bat in the top 6 for the national team. I just feel like our domestic structure is not strong enough so if you want your number 7,8 and 9 to score runs internationally they actually have to bat in the top 6 for their domestic teams. Just like if you want Burl to take wickets for the national team he has to be a front line bowler for his domestic team. 3 was probably a stretch even if he scored runs but I think he has to bat in the top 6 domestically.
How is batting position going to affect run scoring ability? if you mean it gives guys an opportunity to work on their game, sure. But just changing batting position domestically won't actually change the runs scored internationally.
For me it gives somebody like Jongwe a chance to work on their game and learn how to build an innings. Don't forget a domestic tail is far worse than the international 1.

If Jongwe bats at 8 for the Tuskers there is a good chance he is going to be batting with Nyumbu Tshuma and Masuku most of the times. He will never really get the opportunity to bat long once the main guys are gone. However if he bats at 6, he is guaranteed to have 2 other batsmen to partner with and try build some sort of innings.

Now I'm not saying they will suddenly start scoring 50s regularly. What they can do is learn how to regularly score 15-20 runs. That way you can expect your number 8,9,10 and 11 to contribute even 50 runs. Yes you should expect your top 6 to score the runs but we have accept we are minnows and that will rarely happen.

Taibu described our domestic system perfectly when he said he only really takes notice if somebody scores a double hundred. It's not that good. Chatara scoring 68 in a match says it all

This is also for bowlers who can hold a bat, not all of them. I don't expect Ngarava to bat at 6 but the likes of Jongwe,Mumba, Wellington and Tiripano can.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Most bowlers go in there thinking they are Donald Bradman and try smash everything out the park. Batting at 6 will make you think twice, assess the conditions, score a few singles to get the real batsmen on strike and then see from there. That can be priceless on the international scene. Now when you come in at 8 knowing you have Nyumbu, Tshuma and Masuku in next with Ngarava and Chivanga bowling quick and talking nonsense you will just try smash evey ball out the park and learn nothing.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:12 am

For me it gives somebody like Jongwe a chance to work on their game and learn how to build an innings. Don't forget a domestic tail is far worse than the international 1.

If Jongwe bats at 8 for the Tuskers there is a good chance he is going to be batting with Nyumbu Tshuma and Masuku most of the times. He will never really get the opportunity to bat long once the main guys are gone. However if he bats at 6, he is guaranteed to have 2 other batsmen to partner with and try build some sort of innings.

Now I'm not saying they will suddenly start scoring 50s regularly. What they can do is learn how to regularly score 15-20 runs. That way you can expect your number 8,9,10 and 11 to contribute even 50 runs. Yes you should expect your top 6 to score the runs but we have accept we are minnows and that will rarely happen.

Taibu described our domestic system perfectly when he said he only really takes notice if somebody scores a double hundred. It's not that good. Chatara scoring 68 in a match says it all

This is also for bowlers who can hold a bat, not all of them. I don't expect Ngarava to bat at 6 but the likes of Jongwe,Mumba, Wellington and Tiripano can.
So you are saying from a opportunity standpoint. Thats a fair point. Pretty good strategy actually. Give the guys who can genuinely hold a bat a top 6 position so they can get much needed time at the crease and develop their game further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Burl playing what is building up to be a top test knock in a one day game. Currently on 24 from 43.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Interesting knock from Burl. He's going to have to really accelerate from here though. Great innings if he pulls it off though.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Rocks have finally lost! Mountaineers looking good to join them in the final.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 pm
Interesting knock from Burl. He's going to have to really accelerate from here though. Great innings if he pulls it off though.
After your previous post about him struggling I looked at his overall record and asked myself at what point do we stop looking at potential and expect results. He has actually only ever scored 3 centuries. In his generation Jongwe has 2, Tari 2 and Kasuza 5, K-long 1. 3 centuries in 146 matches makes me wonder if he will ever be consistent with the bat

His T20 record is good and maybe thats where it ends. He actually has many similarities to Malcolm Waller and Waller scored 13 centuries in his career. Its time to deliver. He averages less than 20 with the ball in FC cricket at least but we need him to step up like the way Regis has tried to of late. That whole generation needs to step up.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Those kind of stats also explain why every single coach and selector persisted with someone like Chari. He has 10 centuries. Same goes for 33 year old Maruma who has 10 centuries. They really will be out of options because those guys we are thinking are better players struggle in the same domestic setup Chari and Maruma thrive in

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 pm
Do you have the link to the score card for this round of matches? Cricinfo doesnt have it

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 am
Those kind of stats also explain why every single coach and selector persisted with someone like Chari. He has 10 centuries. Same goes for 33 year old Maruma who has 10 centuries. They really will be out of options because those guys we are thinking are better players struggle in the same domestic setup Chari and Maruma thrive in
There are some players who thrive under low pressure, low stakes domestic conditions but crumble when facing ANY international team. South African domestic cricket was full of these guys. Blokes like Gulam Bodi Ethy Mbalati who were sensational in domestic cricket yet wilted like a flower in the desert when handed the Proteas/SA A jersey...Kaia is also a recent example of this brand of cricketer