Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Pro50 Championship Thread 2021-22

Post by TapsC2 »

33 extras to take them to 363.. this is bad for a lineup with Burl,Mavuta, Madziva and Mumba.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Burl has not really impressed me so far in his career. A few t20 blasts and a handful of wickets recently is all he has petty much done. His privilege is still having him in the national team. I hope PJ comes good and gets back in the team instead.

PS: went out golden duck today

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Wow this Rhinos team is shit, but then what do you expect when it’s basically Kadoma Cricket Club + Burl.

If anyone needs an overseas player or two it’s them.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 pm
Burl has not really impressed me so far in his career. A few t20 blasts and a handful of wickets recently is all he has petty much done. His privilege is still having him in the national team. I hope PJ comes good and gets back in the team instead.

He’s a weird one.
He has talent, can dutifully and rightly punish an ordinary attack (something the rest of our guys don’t seem to do often. They will have the same average whether they are facing Starc or Lesk) and is the only real leggie in the system.
He’s very bits and pieces and I haven’t seen him succeed against a quality team yet from memory.
But,
He is capable of getting wickets
Offers a point of difference with the ball
Meaning you can have him come in at 7 and tolerate a few failures compensated by a match winning 30 ball 50.
And a good fielder.

He’s like a marillier in some ways

The thing is he is a match winner when he wants to be and has a high ceiling. Compare him to say- Prince, who is so limited in what he can do
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:23 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:05 pm

He’s a weird one.
He has talent, can dutifully and rightly punish an ordinary attack (something the rest of our guys don’t seem to do often. They will have the same average whether they are facing Starc or Lesk) and is the only real leggie in the system.
He’s very bits and pieces and I haven’t seen him succeed against a quality team yet from memory.
But,
He is capable of getting wickets
Offers a point of difference with the ball
Meaning you can have him come in at 7 and tolerate a few failures compensated by a match winning 30 ball 50.
And a good fielder.

He’s like a marillier in some ways

The thing is he is a match winner when he wants to be and has a high ceiling. Compare him to say- Prince, who is so limited in what he can do
Yeah. He has the goods but the mentality isn't right and lacks a certain grit (Maximum grit being a fella like Ray Price, Dale Steyn). With Burl it seems like he doesn't have a consistent fight in him and that is not good enough. For our sake, hope this changes fast, and he has to be dominating the local scene at this stage in his career. Slug at 36 is still banging in hundreds across formats and looking irreplaceable at the moment. He really needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself whether he wants to be a key player for Zim or just a match winner once every 20 games, otherwise if he isn't scoring consistent 50s in the middle order and still averaging under 20, he will be no better than Wellington in the next few years, with Wellington being a better bowler.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I mean Burl really is the embodiment of bits and pieces. At the moment he’s the most bits and pieces bits and pieces cricket player since bits and pieces were invented.

But then it can’t be easy when you wanted to be a top order batsman but find yourself batting as low as 7 and having to bowl leg spin, which he’s only taken really seriously relatively recently.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Moor should definately be considered by the selectors if he is interested.

What a terrible time for Brad Evans to get injured.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

https://mobile.twitter.com/rocks__crick ... 4858567692

Looks like there were some spectators in the ground to witness crickets return to Masvingo after a 7 year absence.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

And that is why somebody like Burl shouldn't be taking a break during the season. He still has a lot prove and I definitely think he is part of the future . Somebody like Williams taking time off makes sense not Burl

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:52 pm
I mean Burl really is the embodiment of bits and pieces. At the moment he’s the most bits and pieces bits and pieces cricket player since bits and pieces were invented.

But then it can’t be easy when you wanted to be a top order batsman but find yourself batting as low as 7 and having to bowl leg spin, which he’s only taken really seriously relatively recently.
:lol: :lol: :lol: