Zimbabwe to Co-Host 2027 ODI World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe to Co-Host 2027 ODI World Cup

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:43 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:16 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:53 pm
Let's hope our standards won't deteriorate too badly. Wes and Shumba are just 2 guys. We need at least 4 or 5 more. Importing is the only way from what I can see. The next 18 or so months are the most vital months in our cricketing history. That's the most amount of time I see Ervine, Raza and Williams giving us. At the moment we only have half a team without them (Wes,Shumba, Burl, Blessing, Ngarava)
I`d add Wellington and Regis in there though Regis might be a little bit too old
Key player Wellington. Underrated now, but watch this space.
Haha I think you love Wellington almost as much as I love Regis mate :lol:

Also someone on the last page mentioned we will qualify automatically. Word on the street is that we definitely won’t - only SA will qualify automatically as the ‘main’ host. But with 14 teams we surely will anyway.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

All in all, from the depths of getting suspended by the ICC in 2019 and staring at an uncertain future to hosting a 50 over World cup, the biggest event in cricketing calender, is indeed massive news for Zimbabwe cricket.

The disapointment of missing out on back to back world cups is finally over now with the end of 2021 T20 WC, now everyone is on a level playing field and now is the time for Zimbabwe cricket to step up and get counted.

It's time ZC and players start afresh and go about giving their best, T20 WC 2022 qualification is the first big target for this team followed by 2023 WC qualification.

ZC has suffered a lot, and I hope this is the start of a few good things.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:11 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
slcricfan1 wrote:

I`d add Wellington and Regis in there though Regis might be a little bit too old

Also someone on the last page mentioned we will qualify automatically. Word on the street is that we definitely won’t - only SA will qualify automatically as the ‘main’ host. But with 14 teams we surely will anyway.
Well, :lol: . And round about the time you started hyping Reggy up he became a big hitter even opening the batting :lol: . Seriously though, When that kid starts believing in how good he is, he will be up there with some of our best ever spinners and match winners.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

I wonder if England will play Zimbabwe or be in Zimbabwe if scheduled to. I mean after all these allegations, they do not seem very moral themselves or too far from human rights abuses.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:50 pm
I wonder if England will play Zimbabwe or be in Zimbabwe if scheduled to. I mean after all these allegations, they do not seem very moral themselves or too far from human rights abuses.
Haha remember 2003. Refused to come up to Zim the day before the game - we ended up getting the walkover points and qualifying for the next round, whilst they were knocked out. :lol: NZ did the same in Nairobi

Not sure if they'll bother with another ODI Super League now they've expanded the world cup, but if they do there's no reason we shouldn't be playing England in that. Even if it's away.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:11 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
slcricfan1 wrote:

I think a lot of people have assumed this, but I've not seen anything concrete that suggests there are 'main hosts' and 'co-hosts'. Hopefully this means Zim auto-qualifies.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mr Twig wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:45 pm

I think a lot of people have assumed this, but I've not seen anything concrete that suggests there are 'main hosts' and 'co-hosts'. Hopefully this means Zim auto-qualifies.
But then Namibia would have to auto-qualify as well. I don't think they can have 3 auto-qualifiers out of 14, but who knows.

All in all its good that so many smaller sides are hosting tournaments. Surprising the Big 3 are hosting so few. USA hosting 2024 is pretty massive and will surely get some people into the game. Even 1% of a country with 330 million people watching or following the game is massive.

And it is possible to get Americans interested in cricket. Check the following podcast out:

https://youtu.be/_78TY0mQTOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:03 pm
All in all, from the depths of getting suspended by the ICC in 2019 and staring at an uncertain future to hosting a 50 over World cup, the biggest event in cricketing calender, is indeed massive news for Zimbabwe cricket.

The disapointment of missing out on back to back world cups is finally over now with the end of 2021 T20 WC, now everyone is on a level playing field and now is the time for Zimbabwe cricket to step up and get counted.

It's time ZC and players start afresh and go about giving their best, T20 WC 2022 qualification is the first big target for this team followed by 2023 WC qualification.

ZC has suffered a lot, and I hope this is the start of a few good things.
Yeah, great news and these are my exact thoughts too.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Now we have something to build towards, a clear objective, its time to put more focus on the youth (which to be honest, ZC has been doing well if late ), get them good contracts and have them commit. Wesly, Shumba and Marumani could possibly be our core by then..hopefully we can add a few more players like Bawa...Hence Jarvis, the great Dave Houghon and team have a lot of work to do

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

https://twitter.com/FrankMawoza1/status ... ur0pA&s=19
So we hosting next year T20 wc qualifier too. Most of the qualifiers are going to host by zim cricket, that's a massive achievement tbh.