Zimbabwe to Co-Host 2027 ODI World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe to Co-Host 2027 ODI World Cup

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Cricinfo reported that WCSL is is now cancelled beyond 2023.

I agree with Zimbos that it gave additional context, but I'm not that will matter too much in the end. At the end of the day it's about watching your favorite players score rubs and take wickets and that won't change.

If they keep it to rankings, they should reset the rankings every 4 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

The only poor thing about this 2027 WC hosting I see is that they're going to revisit the Vic Falls cricket stadium all over again. It will be used once and will stand empty thereafter.
And somebody is going to make a lot of money.
For the same amount that will be bandied around you could resurrect 10 club grounds to mint condition. Which would be more useful?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 am
The only poor thing about this 2027 WC hosting I see is that they're going to revisit the Vic Falls cricket stadium all over again. It will be used once and will stand empty thereafter.
For the same amount that will be bandied around you could resurrect 10 club grounds to mint condition. Which would be more useful?
Jesus fuck, let's hope not.

Fwiw, I don't think they will. Unless the government intervenes and forces it. I can't see ZC itself going down that road again (hopefully).

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 am
Googly wrote:

Fwiw, I don't think they will. Unless the government intervenes and forces it. I can't see ZC itself going down that road again (hopefully).
Why is it a disaster to have a ground there? Unless there is obviously no money for it? Queens stands empty almost all the time lol. Have it in a good location, partner with hotels there and have a decent sports club around there, get kids playing the game etc. Also, there is an International airport, teams can fly in direct from South Africa. 45 minute flight from Harare, and domestic games can be played there too, rather than the 4 hour drives from Harare to Mutare, Kwekwe and Masvingo. This could be a better venue than Queens and an even better one if we still played cricket against England, with their fans coming down on tour. Great for the Vic falls economy at large. Am I missing something or I'm just pulling a classic Raj here :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:44 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:14 am
Googly wrote:

Why is it a disaster to have a ground there? Unless there is obviously no money for it? Queens stands empty almost all the time lol. Have it in a good location, partner with hotels there and have a decent sports club around there, get kids playing the game etc. Also, there is an International airport, teams can fly in direct from South Africa. 45 minute flight from Harare, and domestic games can be played there too, rather than the 4 hour drives from Harare to Mutare, Kwekwe and Masvingo. This could be a better venue than Queens and an even better one if we still played cricket against England, with their fans coming down on tour. Great for the Vic falls economy at large. Am I missing something or I'm just pulling a classic Raj here :lol:
I mean everything you say is true and it would be great, but it’s the stuff of fantasy and dreams. It will cost an absolute fortune and it’s unlikely to ever happen.

There’s no cricketers in Vic Falls. People joke about there being no cricketers from Masvingo or Mutare but there’s a lot more than there is in the falls, that’s for sure!!!

At the end of the day 90% of our cricket scene and cricket players are in Harare and another 9% are in Bulawayo. Spreading the game elsewhere is a great idea but it’s going to cost a fortune and is wholly unrealistic in the current climate.

We’ve got abandoned grounds and low quality un maintained grounds in Harare that could be brought back up to scratch first. As Googly says, you could probably spruce up 10 existing grounds for the price of building 1 in the falls. Even our other provincial grounds - we are currently sending supposed international level players to play at a sports club in Mutare that doesn’t even have running water for the loos or showers. There’s almost 100 old school pitches around the country that are disused.

If we are rich and had unlimited money then yes absolutely, it would be great to see! But we’d get 1000x better value for money elsewhere I think.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also the heat and humidity for most of the year would make it pretty unpleasant to play there. I suppose it would be an easy victory - bring the English over for a match and watch half their team die by mid-afternoon :lol: Then there would be issues with mist depending on where you build it and the direction of the wind.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also there would never be a domestic game played there. I don’t think ZC has the money to pay for 30 blokes (players, coaches, umpires) cricketers and bag carriers to fly to Vic Falls and stay in Vic Falls-price hotels to play a Logan Cup match watched by about 7 people and a couple of warthogs!

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Yep. I guess the issue is where we are at the moment and that is a luxury we cannot afford. HSC does not even have lights. USD200 000 can surely fix the water issues in Mutare and Masvingo. Cut the grass, fix the clubhouses and pavilions to some decent domestic cricket standard. Franchises playing at their home grounds should be tradition. Oh and also, whilst they are at it, they could also have different tracks at each venue to prepare the lads for different pitch conditions across the world. Hammy should be new school and care about the detail, especially as a former cricketer.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's like the Chitungwiza Aquatic centre they built in the high density area for the All Africa Games. What an absolute disaster. I think it was used twice since then and it's now abandoned. There aren't even ducks!
As SZ said- it's a 10 hour drive from Harare, probably 5 from Bulawayo and literally nobody plays cricket there at all. It's miles from anywhere and completely isolated.
There was actually a cricket club at Hwange many years ago, I played there a few times, which is fairly adjacent to Vic Falls.
Aside from the above the heat there during summer is astonishing. Its often in the 40's. It's absolutely brutal.

You cannot build a place in the middle of nowhere to encourage anything. It doesn't work like that. The only thing that works that way is a shopping centre in South Africa. You could build one in the middle of the Karoo and the following day it would be full.
Our government's plan is to build big airports at Masvingo and Mutare and the expectation is that it will boost tourism, its just such a bizarre thought process. If there wasn't tourism in the first place they weren't avoiding the place because they couldn't fly there. You just have to shake your head at the logic.

I just know someone is going to have a stab at this Vic Falls stadium thing. Watch.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The big thing I believe we need is a few indoor centres.
The summer heat and sun here are toil. Playing under a roof, even if the sides are open would be a big win. You wouldn't need lights if u had a few skylights and open sides.