2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by secretzimbo »

Apparently at least four members of the Afghan U19 touring party have absconded during their flight connection at Heathrow and are now claiming asylum in the UK :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Now that Muyeye has opened the refugee door for Zimbos, maybe some of ours might run away next time too :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Where did you read that? Tried googling it and there was no news.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sorry just changed a few words. One player (perhaps 2) and 3 officials.
Not the first time. 6 applied for asylum when they were last in Canada.

I wouldn't want to be a family member in Afghanistan when the Taliban start politely enquiring why they didn't want to come home.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Officially there are about 18000 Afghans in the UK, but the unofficial figure is closer to 100 000 supposedly.
As we know, asylum seekers can play cricket. I wonder who the player is? There will probably be some crazy cell there that won't take kindly to such a high profile defection.
I mean just putting your hand up for asylum means you're doomed if it's turned down.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 am
Now that Muyeye has opened the refugee door for Zimbos, maybe some of ours might run away next time too :lol:
Muyeye didn't say much on his social media, just enough to be able to make a successful application and not enough to really rile anyone. Way worse has been said in-country with no repercussions.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:17 am
Apparently at least four members of the Afghan U19 touring party have absconded during their flight connection at Heathrow and are now claiming asylum in the UK :lol:
wonder if they took their kids and grandkids with them.

Afghans are such cowards.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:52 pm
Sorry just changed a few words. One player (perhaps 2) and 3 officials.
Not the first time. 6 applied for asylum when they were last in Canada.

I wouldn't want to be a family member in Afghanistan when the Taliban start politely enquiring why they didn't want to come home.
i always hear these stories but i never hear if they are successful in the end or not.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:28 pm
Afghans are such cowards.
There's little need to be so harsh. The Afghans have done remarkably well by most accounts. They have gotten probably 10% of the gross funding that Zimbabwe have gotten, don't play at home, and have still produced some decent performances (1 U-19 Asia Cup championship, 2 U-19 world cup semi-final appearances, 2018 WCQ championship, several IPL/PSL superstars, beat a nearly full strength Bangladesh side in an away Test) on the world stage at various levels. They've really only been around for 10 years. Bangladesh were just beginning to be competitive at the 10 year mark (circa 2010). The only real blemish on Afghanistan's record so far is their 0 wins against top opposition in their first 2 ODI world cups - but they will probably get over that hump by 2023. Granted that is a very glaring blemish, but one they will eventually overcome.

Specifically the U-19 kids - lets not kid ourselves (pun intended) each Afghan lad was half the size of most of the ZIM lads - have had to face war, poverty, and vast degrees of uncertainty to get to wherever they've gotten. I mean look at QDK and how much he whined just for being asked to do the right thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding and they used height as determinant of age? Maybe they misinterpreted the rules and just assumed anyone under 1.9m was eligible?
If you see a middle aged dwarf do you just assume he's 7?
This was all in module 6, if you'd paid more attention.

What's QDK got to do with over-age stunted Afghans? He's quite a short guy, what would you put him at? 14...15?