2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by secretzimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:28 am
Apparently Victor Chirwa has been suspended from bowling for an illegal action?!?!?!

May be a typo - surely they are referring to Connor Mitchell? Either way, a Zimbo U19 has been banned.
https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricke ... 2022-01-20

Can't say I noticed much wrong with his action the other day. I'll have to go back and check.

How has he been reported by the umpires, but Mitchell hasn't?! Mitchell's action was way more noticeable.

It's a big blow for us, I thought Chirwa looked fantastic.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Apparently Victor Chirwa has been suspended from bowling for an illegal action?!?!?!

May be a typo - surely they are referring to Connor Mitchell? Either way, a Zimbo U19 has been banned.

Can't say I noticed much wrong with his action the other day. I'll have to go back and check.

How has he been reported by the umpires, but Mitchell hasn't?! Mitchell's action was way more noticeable.

It's a big blow for us either way. I thought Chirwa looked fantastic.
Interesting.
I havent really watched any under 19s stuff bar one ball from Chirwa, but didnt Googly say he has a murali like flick?

When i saw that i was thinking 'oh oh' because you can only really do that by chucking.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:39 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 am
secretzimbo wrote:

It's a big blow for us either way. I thought Chirwa looked fantastic.
Interesting.
I havent really watched any under 19s stuff bar one ball from Chirwa, but didnt Googly say he has a murali like flick?

When i saw that i was thinking 'oh oh' because you can only really do that by chucking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbx1Dgq ... rtsCricket

Take a look at a Chirwa over - at 3hr49m for example. There's one ball in this over with a lower down/closer camera angle and I can see what they mean, there is a slight/brief bend. Still not as obvious and clear as Connor Mitchell's though in my opinion.

Really feel for the lad though. Hope the coaches and boys are supporting him.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I can't download that video. That's bullshit man!!
This guy was the one I'd picked to solve our spin issue. He's the real deal.
Thats outrageous. At a loss for words. I will bet it's that little flick that gives it a bit of fizz and loop that is so unusual for a finger spinner. Maybe he can fix it without becoming less?

And they clearly thought Mitchell's action was OK which has surprised me even more.

Afghans have a serious left arm wrist spinner which is going to cause us problems. Plus a really good bowling attack in general.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok saw it. That is so marginal, there's about 50 okes in world cricket that bowl like that. This is rubbish.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This Afghan left arm wrist spinner has got two slips to to the right handers for his googly??? That's a first, and it's drifting about a foot as well. Really unique, he's a handful.

Googly

Post by Googly »

No it looks like he switches it to offspin.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Eeish these Afghan spinners are damned good. The whole lot of them. Tricksters, hard to read out of the hand.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd put the youngest guy in their team at 23, the oldest around 27. These Pakistani batters are good, particularly Qasim and they're clueless what's being bowled.
Qasim looks younger than they are and he's about 25.

If they spent equal time checking ages as they did bowling actions this would be a 4 team tournament.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Here's a plausible way of weeding these guys out.
You have a draw for a goat plus $100 and an AK47, but you have to prove you're over 25. Could they resist?