2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by Googly »

Their bowling is good.

Googly

Post by Googly »

These Poms are a good side, I'd bet them to reach the finals at least. They look accomplished with bat and ball and have clearly played lots of cricket.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They love their scoops and paddles, they get taught it early.
I've never liked it but it's hard to defend against if executed well. You look like a twat if u go out though.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The commentators keep talking about how many stars played u19, but I think it's surprising how few world class players actually played it. A lot of these guys fall by the wayside and others either developed later or just narrowly missed it because selections are corrupt everywhere.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:56 pm
The commentators keep talking about how many stars played u19, but I think it's surprising how few world class players actually played it. A lot of these guys fall by the wayside and others either developed later or just narrowly missed it because selections are corrupt everywhere.
Well if you look at the Fab 4/5, all of Kohli, Smith, KW, Babar played U19. I imagine Root did too, but not sure. Bangladesh's big 3 all played it (Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq + Fizz, Shanto, Shoriful, Joy, and Liton). Rohit, Hetmyer, Gill, Pant, etc all played U19.

I think if any team can get an average of 2 stars or even senior team regulars from a batch of U19s, thats good. But that means 13 out of 15 players will probably fall by the wayside.

Player development is also not always steady. In the 2012 batch, Bangladesh had several guys make the jump to senior level (Liton, Soumya, Anamul, Mosaddek, Taskin, Jayed, and Nurul). Liton was bang average, but is now turning it on in Test cricket at least. Mosaddek may be out of favor but he still boasts a List A average of 39 and a FC average of 55 or thereabouts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Googly wrote:
Well if you look at the Fab 4/5, all of Kohli, Smith, KW, Babar played U19. I imagine Root did too, but not sure. Bangladesh's big 3 all played it (Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq + Fizz, Shanto, Shoriful, Joy, and Liton). Rohit, Hetmyer, Gill, Pant, etc all played U19.

I think if any team can get an average of 2 stars or even senior team regulars from a batch of U19s, thats good. But that means 13 out of 15 players will probably fall by the wayside.

Player development is also not always steady. In the 2012 batch, Bangladesh had several guys make the jump to senior level (Liton, Soumya, Anamul, Mosaddek, Taskin, Jayed, and Nurul). Liton was bang average, but is now turning it on in Test cricket at least. Mosaddek may be out of favor but he still boasts a List A average of 39 and a FC average of 55 or thereabouts.
Yeah I know all of SL have played u19. Ditto Aus and Pak

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I see SL beat Australia, that group is wide open between SL/Aus/WI. Crazy that that group had NZ in it as well before they pulled out. Bit unfair, then you look at England's group, which is a cakewalk for them!

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Googly wrote:

Yeah Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jos Butler were in the same England U19 World Cup team in 2010

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 am
Keep an eye out for Dewald Brevis. I mentioned him here about 8 months back. Class
He is phenomenal, word is SA Cricket and SA Rugby are both scrambling to get him to commit to their respective sports. He is being touted as a more aggressive AB de Villiers, which is scary!!!. Given his status, he should get his Proteas debut within the next year or so, or they risk losing him to the Springboks!!

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:08 pm
Tinah's shite English kids underperforming against the World Champions :lol:
They have a good team on their hands, I hope they go far and eventually replace the current batch of shite masquerading as the England national team that’s currently shite. You know your team is terrible when they put on their worst performance since the 1800s. With their own world class U19 coming through, they will be less inclined to poach South African, Zimbabwean and West Indian talent