2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by zimlover »

I still think the kids are in the right hands, Prosper and Elton were good players in the days.

I am sure they have what it takes to get us few wins and possibly nature one or two players to the next level.

I don’t see anyone right for the job, considering our budget and circumstances.

To be fair I think there are way too many white kids in that squad, with all the talk that Prosper is racist and so on I expected to see a all black squad, with a complimentary 1 or 2 white or Asian player.

I am not expecting any of the white players to do well because if they do that means England is an option.

Hopefully we can get another Muzarabani or Wes type of player to add to the current squad.

If a white player does well a Burl type of player wouldn’t be such a bad find.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Only team in this under19 world cup whose players will wear Zim kit just as formality as 90% of them will move away and pursue cricket in England, Aus & NZ, following their previous batchmates

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Why less number of white players in Zimbabwe Squad. This Racial qouta system is destroying Proteas Cricket. Talent should be over colour.
Robo to rule :oops:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Seriously can someone ban Robot. 🤦‍♂️ Please.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Please 🙏🏼

Googly

Post by Googly »

zimlover wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:11 am
I still think the kids are in the right hands, Prosper and Elton were good players in the days.

I am sure they have what it takes to get us few wins and possibly nature one or two players to the next level.

I don’t see anyone right for the job, considering our budget and circumstances.

To be fair I think there are way too many white kids in that squad, with all the talk that Prosper is racist and so on I expected to see a all black squad, with a complimentary 1 or 2 white or Asian player.

I am not expecting any of the white players to do well because if they do that means England is an option.

Hopefully we can get another Muzarabani or Wes type of player to add to the current squad.

If a white player does well a Burl type of player wouldn’t be such a bad find.
Why do people keep saying England becomes an option for a white player? You have to have a passport. You then have to be picked directly by a County side, you then have to do extraordinarily well against top players, overcome non England born bias and you have to play FC for 3 years before you can become eligible for English selection.
The only young players to ever just walk into a county contract are Byrom, Dane Schardendorf and Muyeye. The only one of these three that played u19 was Schardendorf.

I suspect that the reason this current team is 50:50 is because there is a serious shortage of good young black players and the main reason was that there was virtually no school cricket played for 2 years. Nobody had the opportunity to put their hands up and do well. This gap in cricket is going to affect Zim school cricket disproportionately going forward compared to the other full member sides and a large number of the Associates. They at least played some form of cricket and kept guys in training. Our disinterested lot basically just did squat. ZC don't know it yet but it's a major problem. I just don't know how the lost momentum is going to be regained. We didn't have much of it anyway, but now the problem is real.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimlover wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:11 am
What overcomes a hatred of the white?
Money.
How does Prosper remain in the money?
Winning
What helps winning?
The whites.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah. It is an option for a few of them though. Mitchell has a full British passport for example. Welch might get in via family (his brother) etc. Bawa might be eligible to stay in the U.K., although ineligible for England selection (therefore county gigs are almost impossible to get).

And of course we will lose several players to university or non-cricket careers overseas too. But tbh im past caring. In the interim this is a Zim team playing with the Zim flag and it’s nice to see us in a World Cup of any level! So it’s fun to support them and see if they can spring a surprise.

If one or two stay around and play cricket long-term then it’s a bonus.

Also not bothered what colour they are. The standout players of the last batch were black.

This time the selection seems to have been relatively fair and there’s no major complaints about who was selected tbh.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:02 am
https://www.herald.co.zw/zim-under-19-c ... ident/amp/

Bawa interview
Cheers