2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by Googly »

Aside from the needless run outs these Afghans are probably going to lose this because they haven't swept and reversed.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:18 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 pm
I'm not going to stop whining about this. Check out the reserves of both sides, they're visibly much younger. They look 18/19.
Level playing fields are overrated man. It's not like anyone's life or livelihood depends on it. Theoretically there is nothing stopping ZIM from playing Musakanda or Maruma in this tourney as 17 year Olds.
I'm curious why you don't have a problem with it? Enlighten us further.

Donald

Post by Donald »

I'm going off a cricinfo scorecard rather than any video evidence though Pakistan seem to have match in the bag with 7 wickets down. Stranger things have happened though

Googly what you reckon zims chances are this weekend against these lot?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Googly wrote:
I'm not going to stop whining about this. Check out the reserves of both sides, they're visibly much younger. They look 18/19.
Level playing fields are overrated man. It's not like anyone's life or livelihood depends on it. Theoretically there is nothing stopping ZIM from playing Musakanda or Maruma in this tourney as 17 year Olds.
Decency? Honesty? Respect?

No?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:27 pm
I'm going off a cricinfo scorecard rather than any video evidence though Pakistan seem to have match in the bag with 7 wickets down. Stranger things have happened though

This was a real high quality game, enjoyed every minute.
We posted 200 against Pakistan thanks to Bennet, but they definitely didn't bowl as well against us, plus they were missing that seamer.

These Afghans can't seem to sweep or reverse nor get much behind square at all. Conventional old fashioned batting. No touch game whatsoever by the looks of things, but their bowling is absolutely top notch. They'd trouble seasoned pro cricketers. We've got 5 batsmen in our line up, at least two are going to have to have the innings of their lives. Ya I'm not confident at all after watching that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Googly wrote:
Well that's not true. A 25 year old bowling 140 sconning someone in a tournament is actually life threatening. There would be grounds for a law suit.
Secondly there are youngsters looking for Academy and pro contracts and runs are important so there goes the livelihood part as well.
How do you feel about Mankad?
Do you mind who cheats? I mean if someone cheats against your side would it be less palatable or are you OK with it across the board?
Are you ambivalent about it or would you actively encourage it if someone could get away with it?
For example would you teach your kids to cheat?
Where do you personally draw the line? A list of things that you are not OK with would help establish how much of a dipstick you actually are. :lol:

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:03 pm
Donald wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:27 pm

This was a real high quality game, enjoyed every minute.
We posted 200 against Pakistan thanks to Bennet, but they definitely didn't bowl as well against us, plus they were missing that seamer.

These Afghans can't seem to sweep or reverse nor get much behind square at all. Conventional old fashioned batting. No touch game whatsoever by the looks of things, but their bowling is absolutely top notch. They'd trouble seasoned pro cricketers. We've got 5 batsmen in our line up, at least two are going to have to have the innings of their lives. Ya I'm not confident at all after watching that.
Not good. I'm not sold on makoni. Do we have another batter to replace him. Actually yes we do wohulter who seems to be out of favour.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 pm

I'm not going to stop whining about this. Check out the reserves of both sides, they're visibly much
Well that's not true. A 25 year old bowling 140 sconning someone in a tournament is actually life threatening. There would be grounds for a law suit.
Secondly there are youngsters looking for Academy and pro contracts and runs are important so there goes the livelihood part as well.
How do you feel about Mankad?
Do you mind who cheats? I mean if someone cheats against your side would it be less palatable or are you OK with it across the board?
Are you ambivalent about it or would you actively encourage it if someone could get away with it?
For example would you teach your kids to cheat?
Where do you personally draw the line? A list of things that you are not OK with would help establish how much of a dipstick you actually are. :lol:
How is a 25 yo bowling 140 any more dangerous than a 19 yo bowling 140? In 2018, India had a 17 year old bowling 150. And another bowling 140-145.

Mankading is stupid. Totally against it. Its not cricket IMO.

I can get behind a level playing field for a tournament involving a couple of hundred cricketers if you can get behind a level playing field for stuff that affects millions of people (eg rooting out systemic racism against blacks and people of color) or billions (climate change denialism). Sounds reasonable no?

All I'm saying is maybe a level playing field is overrated. Like should we really punish the players born into a country we're age manipulation is commonplace? That would like punishing rich kids with higher taxes just for being born into wealth. Maybe we should let things be as is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Googly wrote:
You often post thoughtful, incisive comments here but this right here, is not the retort you think it is. U19 tournament is for players aged 19 and younger. This is where the next generation gives the world a glimpse of their talent and potential. We don’t want to see 25 year olds there!! No, why would you want to see domestic veterans punching below thier weight, dominating school kids and giving the false impression that they are “the next big thing” ??

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

The annoying thing about this age-cheating shit, is that the main culprits are big cricketing nations where damn near every male plays some form of cricket, whether pro, semi-pro, schools, recreation etc. Pakistan have a very large pool of players to choose from, I would be surprised if there’s a Pakistan high school without cricket teams from U13-U19. So why bring pick overage domestic journeymen??

Zimbabwe, New Zealand for example historical have minuscule talent pools to work with, yet they aren’t populating their teams with pensioners. This tournament works on an honour-based system, the cricketing world deserves better. Do they want to win that bad?? Okay, your 30 year olds win the U19 WC, then what?? What is the endgame?? What’s the point?? Ruining it for everyone !!