2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

Re: 2022 U19 World Cup Thread

Post by Marshmallow »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm
Pretty sure the ICC/ESPN team sheet is wrong then. I think that's indeed Bawa at the toss in the photo.
Definitely bawa playing because just assume if your team captain not playing vice captain will be the next leader, so Brian bennet playing he is not coming for toss? No that's not going to happen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If that's the Zim batting line up I think they're making a mistake. They should leave Mitchell down the order where hes been saving us and open with D. Bennet, he's a good player and has got proper DF.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Bangladesh 116-3 off 23 overs according to ZC twitter. ICC/ESPN scorecards are a bit behind

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest for me the issue came from us not being able to produce talent between 2010 and 2014. From there the biggest struggle for us now is retaining talent. 2 or 3 decent players every single u19 cycle is all you need really. Half these guys probably make the Zim squad for other sports like hockey or rugby. Remember that guy from the last cycle who was already on a soccer scholarship in America and had Barcelona scouting him before?

U19s for me is where you separate the guys who are just naturally talented in everything from the guys who really have what it takes and also have the desire to play cricket.

If we find a pathway which retains the likes of Myers or Welch or Byrom then we will be fine because somehow these kids keep coming. This is why either paying tuition for these guys or setting up an academy somewhere nice like Cape Town might be the best solution for us.

A relationship with CSA is our best bet. Get these kids on scholarships there and let them develop there. It's too late for us to suddenly set up a world class system. If not that then we must import talents with Zim links but aren't good enough to make it wherever they are.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

187/6 after 35 overs

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Mitchell with another great performance here, what a talent.

A starlet if ever I saw one :lol:

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

While we can't see video from this game. Conor Mitchell looks really good

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's second prize saying we only need one or two guys a year. I don't totally disagree, but it means our school system is weak. We need strong foundations.
As it stands now we need about 4 quality guys a year that flush out 4 guys a year from our franchises. Just generalising- there's 3 or 4 guys in each franchise that are marginal, probably in each format as well.
They need to reduce the size of these franchise squads and they need to budget for 500- 600k per franchise per annum for players salaries. For that to realistically happen we need some corporates to get onboard.
If a youngster is going to get 1500 a month he's going to give it a serious go for a couple of years.

I still don't know whether our grant is back up to 9 Mill or we are still on 5 mill? Does anyone on this forum know?

This pseudo semi- Pro thing we've got going is not great. You're not going to snare anyone with an option. They're going to stick with their current plan though, and hope like hell Madhevere and Co fire. If they don't there's going to be some panic before that 2027 WC cycle. That panic needs to start now and not 8 months before that WC. So far they haven't thought past tomorrow, but we live in hope.

That WC in 2027 is a carrot for players, there's no doubt about it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya Mitchell is having a time of it with bat and ball so far.
I can't see the score? Looks like about 200-8 after about 40