Who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Who should be on that flight to Sri Lanka?

Post by CalZim »

Looking forward to the series but I’m really worried that they will just spin us out of the game. Can’t see our spinners being able to compete.

I assume it will be an 18 man squad so here is what I would say (if it is 15, then bottom 3 will miss out):

Sean Williams
Craig Ervine (c)
Ryan Burl
Regis Chakabva (wk)
Blessing Muzarabani
Richard Ngrava
Wellington Masakadza
Brandon Mavuta
Luke Jongwe
Wessly Madhevere
Sikander Raza
T kaitano
Milton Shumba
Clive Madande (wk)
Tendai Chatara
Ernest Masuku (if 18)
Donald Tiripano (if 18)
T Mutombodzi (if 18)

I think some of those selections would be fair based on season form, I’m a little biased towards Madande but hoping he is taken into consideration as the backup keeper, if not that will probably be mutumbami :cry:

Masuku has had a great season, same for Mutombodzi and kaitano, that’s why I have included them.

I’m sure I have probably forgot someone so apologies in advance.

My XI for game 1. Assuming spin friendly conditions:

Kaitano
Chakabva (wk)
Madhevere
Ervine
Williams
Shumba
Raza
Mavuta
Masakadza
Ngrava
Muzarabani

That gives us 8 bowling options, only 2 pacers is risky but I don’t think the conditions will suit them, bat down to 9 with this 11 as well.

Looking forward to the series.

Cal

Googly

Post by Googly »

I keep punting this guy.
If I had to choose between Marumani, Campbell and Evans I'd choose Evans. Marumani will get the nod by default, but he's got some work to do. Great eye, but as we said, everyone should have one at international level. Evans has already got the technique and the eye but has not been given an extended opportunity with the bat.
I think he has the ability to be a better bat than Shumba, it's all about someone giving him opportunity and him taking it with both paws. Good players often just disappear because they don't have a backer.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

My squad:

Takudzwa Kaitano
Kevin Kasuza
Craig Ervine
Sean Williams
Sikandar Raza
Regis Chakabva
Milton Shumba
Wessly Madhevere
Ryan Burl OR Jonathan Campbell
Luke Jongwe
Wellington Masakadza
Brandon Mavuta OR Ainsley Ndlovu
Big Rich Ngarava
Blessing Muzarabani
Larry Chatara OR Carl Mumba

That gives a 15-man squad. 18 if we take both Burl+Jono and Larry+Mumba and Mavuta+Ndlovu.
Burl is out of form. Needs a kick up the arse and Campbell has had a good season. Big call to make.
Chatara has been poor in national colours recently. Maybe Mumba deserves a chance gain.

- Masuku? Great season but I don't rate him. Wouldn't pick.
- Evans? Hasn't played for a couple of months, they won't pick him. Bad timing.
- Madande? Too soon.
- Mutombodzi? No thanks. Backwards step.
- Tiripano? Please please please please never pick him again.
- PJ Moor? Hasn't quite done enough for a recall yet imo.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

lobsang wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:36 am
Googly wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:32 am
I'd like to see Evans get the nod. He's going to be a decent all-rounder.
I had a one to one conversation with Brad Evans, asked him if he has the ambition to play for Zimbabwe and his answer was " I absolutely has the ambition to play for Zimbabwe but I am injured at the present"
Ive just looked up Brad Evans stats/profile, he is only 25 y.o, has FC century, bowls right arm fast, 1X5for, 3X4for....isnt this the allrounder we've been looking for since Chigumbura retired?? why are we nickel-and-diming on bits-and-pieces "allrounders" like Jongwe, when we have a bloke of the same age, with better stats, international club cricket experience ?? He should be in the team like yesterday, what are we doing?? Or perhaps reports we are getting from insiders aren't true and like Murray, Schadendorf, Myers and others, Evans doesn't want anything to do with ZimCricket at an international level?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Good calls.
I think Mavuta has plateaued. Showed lots of early promise and never really followed through.
Campbell tends to revert to darting it in when he's under pressure. Hard to trust your flight and length and keep at it when they're being positive against your bowling. He needs to work on that. He's got ability though. As you said big call choosing Campbell over Burl, I wouldn't be doing that until Campbell had had a couple of really good domestic seasons.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I've always enjoyed Jongwe's chutzpah, and there's no doubting he's a good player. He used to be a much better batsman than he is now, he's let that slip, but Evans is better than him and has that all-important capacity to improve even more.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:22 am
My squad:

Takudzwa Kaitano
Kevin Kasuza
Craig Ervine
Sean Williams
Sikandar Raza
Regis Chakabva
Milton Shumba
Wessly Madhevere
Ryan Burl OR Jonathan Campbell
Luke Jongwe
Wellington Masakadza
Brandon Mavuta OR Ainsley Ndlovu
Big Rich Ngarava
Blessing Muzarabani
Larry Chatara OR Carl Mumba

That gives a 15-man squad. 18 if we take both Burl+Jono and Larry+Mumba and Mavuta+Ndlovu.
Burl is out of form. Needs a kick up the arse and Campbell has had a good season. Big call to make.
Chatara has been poor in national colours recently. Maybe Mumba deserves a chance gain.

- Masuku? Great season but I don't rate him. Wouldn't pick.
- Evans? Hasn't played for a couple of months, they won't pick him. Bad timing.
- Madande? Too soon.
- Mutombodzi? No thanks. Backwards step.
- Tiripano? Please please please please never pick him again.
- PJ Moor? Hasn't quite done enough for a recall yet imo.
Good team, I would alter the opening partnership, kaitano and Kasuza are both test-style batsmen, I doubt they will cash in on the bowling power-play, which will create unnecessary pressure for the middle order and tail to set a defendable score or chase, I would choose one of these two (my preference is Kaitano) to be partnered by Chakabva. Luke Jongwe has he brash arrogance and confidence with the ball, which is okay, but If we are strictly picking an allrounder, as in an okay bowler who can bat, then Tiripano is ahead of Jongwe by a long shot

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

With the way things go I wouldn't be surprised to see K-Long and Marumani in there. Sometimes I think they pick players based on who has a national contract and who doesn't. So there is more chances of K-Long going than PJ for example who turned down a national contract

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Sri Lanka seem to have found some really good players in Asalanka (I think he is the real big deal for SLN), Nissanka, Theekshana, Hasaranga.

I think Zimbabwe, as much as I'd LOVE to see them win, will struggle to win a game. I hope to be proved wrong.

Most likely team

Madhevere
Chakabva
Ervine
Williams
Shumba
Raza
Burl
Jongwe
Wellington
Blessing
Ngarava
---------------------------------
Mumba
Tiripano
J Campbell
Kaitano

I think this will be the squad. I'd love to see Moor in there but I'm not sure if he will get the nod. Myers not there unfortunately. May be the squad will carry a few more players considering the threat of covid. So some youngsters may get in there.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:04 am
Good team, I would alter the opening partnership, kaitano and Kasuza are both test-style batsmen, I doubt they will cash in on the bowling power-play, which will create unnecessary pressure for the middle order and tail to set a defendable score or chase, I would choose one of these two (my preference is Kaitano) to be partnered by Chakabva. Luke Jongwe has he brash arrogance and confidence with the ball, which is okay, but If we are strictly picking an allrounder, as in an okay bowler who can bat, then Tiripano is ahead of Jongwe by a long shot
I think Kaitano and Kasuza have done well enough in limited overs this season and last season to deserve a chance in this format. We don't really have any other options at the top - unless Ervine and/or Reggie open, which is less than ideal for both. Idk why PJ is wasting his time batting at 3 in domestics. He should be opening if he wants to get in this team.

And I know I've beaten this drum to death, but Tiripano is woeful. He is an absolutely awful bowler at international level. People need to look at the last year or so, not five years ago. I honestly think there are club cricketers in Zim who are better bowlers nowadays. He's past it. We can't be picking dreadful bowlers just because they can score 30 runs from number 9. Thats what losing teams do. Thats a losing attitude, an attitude of minnows. If anyone is taking Jongwe's place, then its probably going to be Evans - but obviously he's been injured. I like Jongwe a lot. Where as the best Tiripano can do is hold an end up for a while and hope not to do too much damage, Jongwe is a gamechanger. He might bowl 3 overs of dross but he'll pop up and take the key wicket in the game when the opposition are 80-0 or something. He makes stuff happen when heads are down, and I really like that. He's a livewire too, and a bit mad - a good person to have on tour. Jongwe is a much much better bowler than Don.