Pre-NZ tour thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Pre-NZ tour thread

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Training squad announced:
Zimbabwe training squad
Brendan Taylor (Captain), Regis Chakabva, Chamu Chibhabha, Kyle Jarvis, Hamilton Masakadza, Prosper Utseya, Tatenda Taibu, Charles Coventry, Chris Mpofu, Natsai Mushangwe, Forster Mtizwa, Njabulo Ndlovu, Raymond Price, Vusi Sibanda, Brian Vitori, Keegan Meth, Shingi Masakadza, Tinotenda Mawoyo, Cephas Zhuwawo.
http://www.thestandard.co.zw/sports/319 ... ymoon.html

Congratulations to Prosper Utseya, just married.

Why is Zhuwawo still in the squad? They couldn't have found someone, anyone, more deserving? Greg Lamb? Elton Chigumbura? Craig Ervine? To be honest this squad looks pretty weak without those guys. I thought Lamb and Ervine had done enough in the last Test to hold on to their spot, or to at least make the squad surely. It looks like Meth has no competition for that all-rounder position in the Test team. Unless this is the limited overs squad only?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Pre-NZ tour thread

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Has to be a pisstake surely.
Zim selectors would not be that dumb. Dumb yes but not that dumb.
It looks like an odi squad.... Must be a training squad of sorts.
Saying that- does anyone wonder whether lamb cremer etc may have done a Sean Williams?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Tom91

Post by Tom91 »

It looks more like a twenty20 squad. Wheres craig ervine, greg lamb and malcolm waller?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If the past has taught us anything it is that training squads are rarely any indication of who is actually going to make the squad. What has Craig Ervine to suddenly fall foul of the selectors. Does he have less influential relatives than Zhuwao?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

FlowerPower

Post by FlowerPower »

Must be T20 squad, and yes don't get why Zhuawo is there. And who is this Njabulo Ndlovu? (Or is it Njabulo Ncube...Ndlovu? Ncube? what's the difference! :) ...and they do this consistently, shoddy journalism).

For me based on form and venues:

ODI

1. Sibanda
2.Taylor (c)
3.Masakadza
4. Mutizwa
5.Waller
6.Taibu (wk)
7. Meth/Chigs
8. Jarvis
9. Vitori/Utseya for QSC
10. Price
11. Mpofu

Test (QSC)

1. Sibanda
2. Mawoyo
3.Masakadza
4.Taylor (c)
5.Waller/Mutizwa
6.Taibu (wk)
7. Meth
8. Jarvis
9. Lamb/Utseya/Debengwa?
10. Price
11. Mpofu
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Pretty much agree with your teams FlowerPower. For the test match I prefer Waller over Mutizwa and I'd go for the extra (bit) of batting that Lamb has to offer in comparison to Prosper.

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

foreignfield wrote:Pretty much agree with your teams FlowerPower. For the test match I prefer Waller over Mutizwa and I'd go for the extra (bit) of batting that Lamb has to offer in comparison to Prosper.
You guys seem to underestimate the batting of Prosper . He has got us out of jail a lot of times .Stand out performances were in the sub continent last year .Lamb has never given us outstanding batting perfomances .I would not replace an average batsmen with another average batsman .

kudet

Post by kudet »

this is just but a recipe for disaster from alistair campbell et al why drop craig ervine and lamb and what about this so called mushangwe is he better than cremer or even ballance......

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

I don't know about you guys but Vitori needs to learn to bowl at Queens, I wouldn't want him to develop a mental thing that'll stay with him all career long. I'd throw him in there, with Waller (for Ervine) if I have to make a change. Lamb will continue in place of Chigs (and Meth for that matter). That Test team pushed Pakistan to the middle of the 4th day in the same venue. I have to keep faith in them.

Lostart
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Lostart »

Me thinks that we have been hacked by a spambot or something. Otherwise i am going to begin to question the taste of some of our members.

Whats up with all this experimentation in our squad? i mean we really should try to get some continuity going, i can understand a few changes but this seems to have a fair number of new and untested players here.