Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Re: Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:19 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:04 am

Nice one!! on a serious note, does the ZC president travel with the team on tour? Why? Is this normal? What exactly will he bring to the table in Sri Lanka? What fun is there to be had travelling with a bunch of guy? I can understand as a player..but admin, why? Who runs the office when he’s away?
Hammy is the director of cricket. And yeah he’s been on every away tour since he was appointed I think. Not sure what he does whilst there but I think it is quite normal amongst cricket boards tbf. Ashley Giles and all the ECB top brass are in Australia. The BCCI President and Secretary always follow the Indians around as well for example.

Also there’s no Team Manager going with them on this tour so maybe Hammy is doubling up in that role this time?
Given that we sent a squad of 13/14 instead of 15 because of $ shortages, it would have made sense to trim the fat (literally). A delegation of fat cats is unnecessary due to our perpetual dire financial status

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Let him just travel guys :lol:

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 am
:lol: :lol: Almost all cricketers who retire say they are doing so “to spend more time with my family”. It’s odd that this recently retired cricketer is jumping on a plane to Sri Lanka when he really has no business being there. Plus with Covid-19 floating around and the imposition of biosecure bubbles, there’s isn’t going to be much if any tourist-y stuff to do, so why go??

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 am
CholeZimbo wrote:
:lol: :lol: Almost all cricketers who retire say they are doing so “to spend more time with my family”. It’s odd that this recently retired cricketer is jumping on a plane to Sri Lanka when he really has no business being there. Plus with Covid-19 floating around and the imposition of biosecure bubbles, there’s isn’t going to be much if any tourist-y stuff to do, so why go??
I mean he's the director of cricket so I don't mind it too much. If it was Tavengwa or Givemore I'd agree with you, as they are admins, and shouldn't be there.

But I guess Hammy is there to assess the performances and coaching. First time he'll have seen Rajput for six months. Also doing team manager-y stuff (the usual team manager has gone away with the U19's instead) .And probably smooching with SLC officials.

I don't think it's too unusual for a DoC to travel with a squad on tour. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's flown business class on a much more direct route than the team are having to endure!

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:
:lol: I also think BT will be back playing domestic cricket soon, I mean like he said, that is all he knows, cricket has been his life. Being home gets boring after 2 weeks.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 pm
Tinah09 wrote:
CholeZimbo wrote:
I mean he's the director of cricket so I don't mind it too much. If it was Tavengwa or Givemore I'd agree with you, as they are admins, and shouldn't be there.

But I guess Hammy is there to assess the performances and coaching. First time he'll have seen Rajput for six months. Also doing team manager-y stuff (the usual team manager has gone away with the U19's instead) .And probably smooching with SLC officials.

I don't think it's too unusual for a DoC to travel with a squad on tour. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's flown business class on a much more direct route than the team are having to endure!
At this rate SZ I am also thinking you travelled with the boys :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm
:lol: I also think BT will be back playing domestic cricket soon, I mean like he said, that is all he knows, cricket has been his life. Being home gets boring after 2 weeks.
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 pm
I wish you were in charge! :lol: Make both of these things happen please haha!

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:34 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:31 pm
I wish you were in charge! :lol: Make both of these things happen please haha!
:lol: They are not ready for us there at ZC. They do not have the same passion.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

The boys have landed, what an ordeal.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »