Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: Sri Lanka Tour: Squad Announced

Post by tej_27 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:56 pm
Ok, didn't know that. That's good for Irish domestic cricket I guess. I'm not sure how many were actually playing county, probably about half a dozen.
But i think they are still allowed to play in County cricket as local as long as they don't represent ireland ..earlier both was possible ..

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Meanwhile coach lalchand rajput is covid positive and will miss the first two ODIs ..rest entire team came out to be negative

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Northern Irish (UK Passport holders) can play in County up until the point they play for Ireland in an official international. Republic (Irish passport) guys can't play in County ever any more, unless they are an Overseas - hence Stirling in the T20/Hundred.

Good for Irish domestic cricket but very damaging in the short-term for their national team.

Another nation that is going to suffer, for a different reason, is the Netherlands. Their issue is Brexit rather than Full Membership. Their guys can no longer play in the UK as Locals either. (Guys who were already there pre-2020 have registered as 'settled' and can continue....but new players can't go ther).

Googly

Post by Googly »

And as u said their national sides will suffer because some of their top guys had county gigs. I think the Dutch domestic league is quite good though, isn't it?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tej_27 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm
Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:56 pm
Ok, didn't know that. That's good for Irish domestic cricket I guess. I'm not sure how many were actually playing county, probably about half a dozen.
But i think they are still allowed to play in County cricket as local as long as they don't represent ireland ..earlier both was possible ..
I’ll be surprised at that.
Ireland is an EU nation separate to the Uk. Northern Ireland is the obvious exception.
England is no different than NZ, SA, Aus etc now.

I think in realistic terms however…. A lot of people from Ireland also have Brit heritage as their neighbours and historically they were fucking each other all the time, but that’s no given taht will be the case.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

As many as 10 srilankan players who were part of the last odi squad are in line to miss series against Zimbabwe ..hasaranga and kusal petara are out due to injury, avishka Fernando is covid positive while rajapaksha has retired from internationals other than that lahiru kumara and akila dhananjaya also set to miss for various reasons ..good opportunity for zimbabwe to come up with a series win

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Sri Lanka Squad:

Dasun Shanaka (c), Pathum Nissanka, Minod Bhanuka, Charith Asalanka, Maheesh Theekshana, Chamika Karunaratne, Jeffrey Vandersay, Nuwan Thushara, Ramesh Mendis, Praveen Jayawickrama, Dushmantha Chameera, Chamika Gunasekera, Dinesh Chandimal, Kusal Mendis, Nuwan Pradeep, Shiran Fernando, Kamindu Mendis.

Standby players: Ashen Bandara, Pulina Tharanga, Nimesh Vimukthi, Ashian Daniel, Asitha Fernando, Vishwa Fernando have been named as standby players.

Out of Squad : Dhananjaya De Silva ( paternity leave)

Avishka Fernando, Janith Liyanage, Kamil Mishara ( COVID positive)

Lahiru Kumara, Kushal Perera, Wanindu Hasaranga ( Unfit)

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Big names missing, still Sri Lanka looking strong. Eyes will be on Kushal Mendis 2.0 version

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

This Sri Lanka team is probably is the weakest team they have had by experience and talent wise, and hopefully the boys will capitalize on their weakness and inexperience and pull off another series win.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

lobsang wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:46 pm
This Sri Lanka team is probably is the weakest team they have had by experience and talent wise, and hopefully the boys will capitalize on their weakness and inexperience and pull off another series win.
there's a lot of talent in this SL side. Nissanka, Asalanka, Mendis (though he's been woefully inconsistent) on the batting front and Chameera and Jayawickrama on the bowling front. The latter is an SLA so you know he's going to get a truckload of wickets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)