U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs PNG | 15th Jan 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Tinah09

Re: U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs PNG | 15th Jan 2022

Post by Tinah09 »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:44 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:25 pm
PNG were extraordinarily bad, so I guess we can't take too much from this. It's a big worry that they dropped THIRTEEN catches - we gave them way way way too many chances, Pakistan won't drop any of them probably. So still some concern with the batting really.

Bawa looked very very good though - glad he's found his form back. It's not that long ago that people were saying he's a better prospect than Wes/Shumba etc.

The bowlers all look like they have something. None the finished product yet, but all have something to work with. So many options. I think against spin-friendly teams like Pakistan and Afghanistan though, we definitely need two seamers in there. Those Asian teams are generally pretty good at playing spin.

Googly mentioned 'Yasha looked like he had eaten someone :lol: Maybe Welch? Weird that we haven't seen him the last couple of games.

Still, a 228 run victory is special regardless of the opposition. Should be a massive confidence booster. Pakistan will be a wake-up call though. If we were playing Afghanistan's actual U19's we might have a chance, but as we know, most of them will be seasoned pro cricketers in their mid to late twenties with eight children, three wives and several years of Taliban fighting under their belts.

Think if we get in the plate we could do pretty well there though.

I logged off after the first rain interruption, it was too much of a no-contest, I can understand a team being weak but PNG was something else. Completely incapable of basic fielding, catching the ball, throwing the ball, yet they have a “coaching staff”!! . This doesn’t even qualify as a warm up match. Good on Bawa and Bennet for cashing in but I hope they won’t let this get to their heads, this PNG team could have lost to Zim U13s.

On the Bright side 15 y.r Taruvinga is a talent, was nervous as you’ll expect from a high school junior yet had exquisite shots. Chirwa has the makings of a sound, technically gifted all-rounder in the vein of Sakib Al Hasan, he too needs good mentoring. The real U19 WC starts for us now, the definitely-not-overaged Afghans and the usually brilliant Pakistanis are going to be a tough nut to crack
how does this zimbabwe outfit compare to the previous one? Are there finally some pretty good bowlers?
To be honest, it’s too early to tell. I would say we have a number of good spin bowlers here

Googly

Re: U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs PNG | 15th Jan 2022

Post by Googly »

This lot certainly seem long in spinners. :lol:
Selectors have made a mistake not giving the other seamers a run. Zvinoera was either struggling with a niggle or fitness or both because his second spell was not a good look. I've seen Falao before and he's good. I understand their plan for a spin attack on these wickets, but you need two seamers surely? If Bawa could bowl (and he used to) then you could risk one, and even Zvinoera, who might not get through his ten. It may be a moot point, but playing an all spin attack against Pakistan might turn ugly. They also won't let us get through 25 overs in an hour ten minutes.
On balance there's probably not much in it between last batch of seamers and this one. Out of that last lot Ruwisi was probably the pick of them, but he ran away to SA and didn't even play. Zvinoera is deceivingly sharp and Falao is a real athlete.

From the last lot of spinners Madhevere I think is the WC record holder for wicket takers. Hard to argue with that!
Shumba is more than useful. My 10c worth is that Chirwa has got the most potential. He's a leftie and has that flick and flight that puts real revs on offspin. These guys are hard to find. If he gets proper individual coaching this guy is one for the national team. Nobody seems to get one on one expert coaching. All top players go to an expert outside of their squad set ups for tweaking and hard work, except Zimbabwe.
If Schonken is only 16 then he's also got real potential as a leggie. I've never really seen him before, he looked good, had a good googly, bowled a bit quicker, decent control, lots of good things to see.
Mataranyika looks good, needs to shed kilos and offer more with the bat. He's a candidate for one tour and then join Dad's business, but at least he offers something with the ball. It would be good if he carried on with his cricket because we'd have our first real sponsor in a while.
Mitchell's action is hugely suspect, but he's got control and turn. We will be lucky to get thru this tournament without them reviewing his action. I'm sure people must have already taken a look in SA and they clearly think it's OK, but in real time it looks bad.
Bennet bowls useful containing darts. Drags too many down. Can't excuse lack of control for an offie.
Watched that Indian offie bowl 10 overs for 20 against SA, literally landed them on a dime, he's unbelievable.
The other Bennet could be a good leggie as well.
This lot have more to offer in the way of spin, but yesterday they bowled against rabbits. The test will be against decent batsmen going after them.

Bawa is the yardstick for the batting as he was in the previous squad. These guys have been really shortchanged with lack of school cricket and general game time.
Saul and Welch may not fire but it doesn't change the fact that they could be decent openers. I watched them against Namibia and they looked more comfortable than the men.
Welch in particular has an array of high quality shots, real talent, but that only gets you so far. You have to figure out a way of occupying the crease and making runs.
The two Bennets look useful. They're both just good all round cricketers and the good thing is they're not physically mature yet, they've still got a long way to go. They'd both be great additions to our FC and see how they go over the next couple of seasons. Kelly, the dad, was a great sportsman, and the Mum, is a Mcphun (a family of hugely talented sportsmen and women), these boys carry quality sporting genes, they can't not be good.
Taruvinga looks ok. If he was slow against PNG then he's going to struggle against a good attack, but he's young.
On balance the previous team had a better line up, but they had a lot more exposure. Marumani was really explosive and damaging at this level, this squad don't have that lower order match winner. He's such a great example of the levels in cricket. Was awesome at u19, did fairly well in our FC and then struggled. If I saw him netting daily with a one on one coach to change his game I'd say he has the ability to step up, but does he do that?
I don't think Taruvinga is a better keeper than Wolhuter or Welch. If you've got an all- spin attack then you need a sharp keeper. He looks ok, but I saw him miss 2 stumpings.