U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs PNG | 15th Jan 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs PNG | 15th Jan 2022

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

9/89 now.
Honestly can’t see PNG coming back from here.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

:lol: :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

PNG were extraordinarily bad, so I guess we can't take too much from this. It's a big worry that they dropped THIRTEEN catches - we gave them way way way too many chances, Pakistan won't drop any of them probably. So still some concern with the batting really.

Bawa looked very very good though - glad he's found his form back. It's not that long ago that people were saying he's a better prospect than Wes/Shumba etc.

The bowlers all look like they have something. None the finished product yet, but all have something to work with. So many options. I think against spin-friendly teams like Pakistan and Afghanistan though, we definitely need two seamers in there. Those Asian teams are generally pretty good at playing spin.

Googly mentioned 'Yasha looked like he had eaten someone :lol: Maybe Welch? Weird that we haven't seen him the last couple of games.

Still, a 228 run victory is special regardless of the opposition. Should be a massive confidence booster. Pakistan will be a wake-up call though. If we were playing Afghanistan's actual U19's we might have a chance, but as we know, most of them will be seasoned pro cricketers in their mid to late twenties with eight children, three wives and several years of Taliban fighting under their belts.

Think if we get in the plate we could do pretty well there though.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This SA lad ,Brevis, is a good player. Just been dropped as well.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Now over to the senior Chevrons in the morning. Good weekend of cricket this.

Googly

Post by Googly »

These Afrikaans lads seem to mature faster than our Zim boys. There's not one of our boys that looks mature, except maybe Bawa. Brevis looks like he's about 24 and been playing pro rugby, he's a unit.

Ya those commentators were blowing smoke, PnG were diabolical. They must surely be the worst u19 team I've ever seen. I'd like to see them against Uganda, they'll get smashed.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

PNG were terrible. Pakistan is going to crush them so badly.

Confidence booster but we need to make sure they don't get carried away. Still a lot of work to do

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm
These Afrikaans lads seem to mature faster than our Zim boys. There's not one of our boys that looks mature, except maybe Bawa. Brevis looks like he's about 24 and been playing pro rugby, he's a unit.

Ya those commentators were blowing smoke, PnG were diabolical. They must surely be the worst u19 team I've ever seen. I'd like to see them against Uganda, they'll get smashed.
Yeah you've got a point there about the Afrikaans. I mean, amongst the white guys in this Zim squad, the most mature looking is Wolhuter as well. There were quite a lot of Afrikaans kids in my school growing up, they all had beards by the end....none of us English kids did :lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldn't believe how bad PNG were. I guess they are a similar level to Nigeria and Japan who somehow qualified for the last U19WC. Pretty bad as PNG are supposed to be one of the better associates. Definite candidates to finish 16th I think.

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:25 pm
PNG were extraordinarily bad, so I guess we can't take too much from this. It's a big worry that they dropped THIRTEEN catches - we gave them way way way too many chances, Pakistan won't drop any of them probably. So still some concern with the batting really.

Bawa looked very very good though - glad he's found his form back. It's not that long ago that people were saying he's a better prospect than Wes/Shumba etc.

The bowlers all look like they have something. None the finished product yet, but all have something to work with. So many options. I think against spin-friendly teams like Pakistan and Afghanistan though, we definitely need two seamers in there. Those Asian teams are generally pretty good at playing spin.

Googly mentioned 'Yasha looked like he had eaten someone :lol: Maybe Welch? Weird that we haven't seen him the last couple of games.

Still, a 228 run victory is special regardless of the opposition. Should be a massive confidence booster. Pakistan will be a wake-up call though. If we were playing Afghanistan's actual U19's we might have a chance, but as we know, most of them will be seasoned pro cricketers in their mid to late twenties with eight children, three wives and several years of Taliban fighting under their belts.

I logged off after the first rain interruption, it was too much of a no-contest, I can understand a team being weak but PNG was something else. Completely incapable of basic fielding, catching the ball, throwing the ball, yet they have a “coaching staff”!! . This doesn’t even qualify as a warm up match. Good on Bawa and Bennet for cashing in but I hope they won’t let this get to their heads, this PNG team could have lost to Zim U13s.

On the Bright side 15 y.r Taruvinga is a talent, was nervous as you’ll expect from a high school junior yet had exquisite shots. Chirwa has the makings of a sound, technically gifted all-rounder in the vein of Sakib Al Hasan, he too needs good mentoring. The real U19 WC starts for us now, the definitely-not-overaged Afghans and the usually brilliant Pakistanis are going to be a tough nut to crack

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Tinah09 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:44 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:25 pm

I logged off after the first rain interruption, it was too much of a no-contest, I can understand a team being weak but PNG was something else. Completely incapable of basic fielding, catching the ball, throwing the ball, yet they have a “coaching staff”!! . This doesn’t even qualify as a warm up match. Good on Bawa and Bennet for cashing in but I hope they won’t let this get to their heads, this PNG team could have lost to Zim U13s.

On the Bright side 15 y.r Taruvinga is a talent, was nervous as you’ll expect from a high school junior yet had exquisite shots. Chirwa has the makings of a sound, technically gifted all-rounder in the vein of Sakib Al Hasan, he too needs good mentoring. The real U19 WC starts for us now, the definitely-not-overaged Afghans and the usually brilliant Pakistanis are going to be a tough nut to crack
how does this zimbabwe outfit compare to the previous one? Are there finally some pretty good bowlers?