1ST ODI SRI LANKA VS ZIMBABWE

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 1ST ODI SRI LANKA VS ZIMBABWE

Post by Googly »

The general misinformed consensus is that PJ is not good enough and good riddance. Everyone is happy to wave goodbye thinking he's easily replaceable. It's such a poor attitude. The problem we face also, especially amongst the white guys, is that if they're not making the national side then cricket here is pointless. That's mostly because you can't live off a franchise salary. That's not going to change and its a monumental problem. They'll give it a burn for a season or two then quit.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:44 pm
Shame that PJ has been lost. A few years ago he looked to be a fantastic prospect, especially in Test cricket.
Is Musakanda out of ,the picture, too?
Tony Munyonga is another.
There's enough talent just about, but I don't see any of them doing what Sean Williams did today. He's 35 hardly plays any cricket and still scores runs. So talented. We're so so lucky
They should make the effort to lure back Murray and Myers, these two have the potential to become stars in their own right. on the bowling front, Zimbabwe are quite ok. Both Muzarabani and Ngarava are relatively young and they can serve for another 8 to 10 years if protected and made them feel valued. It would be massive if they could lure back Myers and Murray. Possible Zimbabwe squad after 2023 World Cup.

1) Kaitano
2) Bawa
3) Shumba
4) Myers
5) Madhevere
6) Murray
7) Burl
8) Evans
9) Wellington
10) Muzarabani
11) Ngarava

Fringe players Clive Madande, tadiwanahse Marumani, Jonathan Campbell, Tanaka Chivanga, Musakanda, Munyonga and Tadiwanshe Nyangani. Few other under-19 prospects.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:52 pm
The general misinformed consensus is that PJ is not good enough and good riddance. Everyone is happy to wave goodbye thinking he's easily replaceable. It's such a poor attitude. The problem we face also, especially amongst the white guys, is that if they're not making the national side then cricket here is pointless. That's mostly because you can't live off a franchise salary. That's not going to change and its a monumental problem. They'll give it a burn for a season or two then quit.
Didn't Frank say PJ turned down a national contract last year to go play in Ireland? I don't think you can play club cricket in the UK if you on a national contract. I wonder how much he was on. I doubt he is making more in Ireland until he cracks the team.

I have been praying for PJ to score big for a while but if he can't score runs for fun on our domestic scene then it makes sense to question if he has lost his way.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Burl was lucky to make this squad. Was average in the Zimbabwe select warm up matches.

Would have shumba in eleven next match without a shadow of a doubt.

Jongwe for Chatara as he offers a lot of variety in bowling. Bat a bit deeper with him too and his enthusiasm washes over the squad.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:52 pm
PJ - with his family background - isn't exactly gonna starve to death in the bush living off a franchise contract :lol: But you're general point is right about franchise salaries being so low that for many, there are better options.

It's sad if PJ really has decided to go and qualify for Ireland of course. Sad because it's sad when literally any Zimbabwean leaves (not just cricket). But he isn't the next Brendan Taylor, which you'd think he was considering how much some people obsess over him. Unfortunately he seems to have declined over the past couple of years and has far from dominated in domestic cricket. He went to Ireland and had 1 or 2 good T20 knocks but ultimately was largely poor in a majority of matches too - in a domestic system with even less depth than ours. I watched one of his first games there on a stream and his wicketkeeping was embarrassing that day. His move to Ireland might eventually provide new motivation for him though and I wish him luck. He's got talent of course.

So definitely not 'good riddance'. But more like, it's not the end of the world.

But we need to do a better job of retaining players of course, and franchise contracts need to be more viable. We need more fringe players, players that are challenging for places etc. That's probably where PJ sits right now. He'd possibly be in those northern/southern squads for example. In the wider pool. We need that. Because currently our second or third string are still Mutombodzi, Maruma and Innocent feckin' Kaia.

We'v got a dozen decent international cricketers but it's pretty hard to sustain ourselves at this level when there is literally zero competition for places, and the gap between those dozen and the rest is gigantic.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Who is Zolsky exactly? Is he actually Frank Mawoza and is he a real person? I've never understood this unofficial channel of ZC's, what's the point of it?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:44 pm
Is Musakanda out of the picture, too?
I am absolutely convinced that some faker is now masquerading as 'Tarisai Musakanda'. ID theft maybe :lol: He looks absolutely dreadful these days. Can't buy a run, and has been reduced to carrying drinks even for Rhinos a few times this season. Miles away from the national team.

Crazy because he used to look so good. I thought he was the next big thing.
There's enough talent just about, but I don't see any of them doing what Sean Williams did today. He's 35 hardly plays any cricket and still scores runs. So talented. We're so so lucky
Williams is a freak. An extraordinary man.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 pm
Who is Zolsky exactly? Is he actually Frank Mawoza and is he a real person? I've never understood this unofficial channel of ZC's, what's the point of it?
Think we found out he's a real person with that name, but is Mukuhlani's cousin and the account itself is used personally and exclusively by Mukuhlani.

His real ID got rumbled when he threatened to kill Patrick Gada a couple years ago. Man, they were grim times.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And who is Patrick Gada? Isn't he a UK based ex cricketer? Older guy?
Whats the issue between them?

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's a poor look if the big boss uses a fake account to fire shots. That's a guy defending his turf by any and all means.