1ST ODI SRI LANKA VS ZIMBABWE

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 1ST ODI SRI LANKA VS ZIMBABWE

Post by Googly »

No I don't think so. Shumba for Burl if you were going to drop him. Just my opinion.

Williams, Ervine and Raza will all be too old for 2027 WC.
The shit is so deep when these guys retire. They'll be 40 in 2025 if I'm not mistaken. They'd be able to still be selected at that age the way we are going, but that's not ideal.
If ZC don't make some investment in youngsters capable of playing at this level or by importing a couple of guys it's going to be horrible. By investing I mean paying good young guys enough to hang around, go to batting and bowling Academies etc. As it stands now we're probably looking for 4 quality batters by 2025. Thats round the corner and it's not looking likely.

Kaitano looked really good, pleased for him.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm
Is Mutombodzi an option over Burl? and Shumba still comes in for Wesley.

I would say Zimbabwe need to expand the player base, absolutely no harm in trying Mutombodzi if he also is a Leg spinning all rounder.
I really don’t rate Mutombodzi. It’s pretty bad that he’s even in the squad. And he doesn’t bowl at all anymore - he’s given it up.
I need fixtures for Zimbabwe guys, doesn't matter against whom, get Namibia, Nepal, USA (along with other top sides but ensure the are playing all year round) , it may not be profitable in short term but in long term it will make the team better, and players won't be starved of international games.
Who’s paying for it?
Nyaradzo :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

By 2027 how many guys from this side will still be in the running? That's a damned scary thought.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:22 pm
By 2027 how many guys from this side will still be in the running? That's a damned scary thought.
Probably Blessing, Ngarava, Wes, Masakadza and Shumba. Maybe Kaitano. Burl is going the Waller route as it stands. They will have imported some guys by then. I think at a certain point a couple of the guys in the UK are going to get tired of playing for the County reserve teams and give it a crack. For a premium of course.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm
Is Mutombodzi an option over Burl? and Shumba still comes in for Wesley.

I would say Zimbabwe need to expand the player base, absolutely no harm in trying Mutombodzi if he also is a Leg spinning all rounder.
I really don’t rate Mutombodzi. It’s pretty bad that he’s even in the squad. And he doesn’t bowl at all anymore - he’s given it up.
I need fixtures for Zimbabwe guys, doesn't matter against whom, get Namibia, Nepal, USA (along with other top sides but ensure the are playing all year round) , it may not be profitable in short term but in long term it will make the team better, and players won't be starved of international games.
Who’s paying for it?
If he is not bowling then surely doesn't make sense at all.

For the second part, I hope ZC do 😂

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I reckon nick welch will give it a crack at some stage. He was at HSC recently watching his little brother score some runs and he's clearly very patriotic.
If we can get Bawa, Welch, Evans maybe Ben Curran and Byrom (long shot) in the next 3 years, we have a chance of sustainability.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm
Williams, Ervine and Raza will all be too old for 2027 WC.
The shit is so deep when these guys retire. They'll be 40 in 2025 if I'm not mistaken. They'd be able to still be selected at that age the way we are going, but that's not ideal.
If ZC don't make some investment in youngsters capable of playing at this level or by importing a couple of guys it's going to be horrible. By investing I mean paying good young guys enough to hang around, go to batting and bowling Academies etc. As it stands now we're probably looking for 4 quality batters by 2025. Thats round the corner and it's not looking likely.
2025? I can't see any of Raza, Ervine or Williams continuing beyond even 2023. Chakabva as well maybe. That's next year......quite worrying. Clearly the plan is for Wes & Shumba to replace Ervine and Williams as our number 3 and 4s for years to come. They are obviously going to have to improve quite significantly over the next year or two. Burl is probably the immediate replacement for Raza, but I'm not convinced at all. He hasn't really kicked on in the last year or so which is worrying.

I rate Evans and Campbell and I think both will play for the senior team at some point. It's a shame they aren't both a couple of years younger, I think they are both about 25 already. They could be the number 5/6's etc one day.

Hopefully Blessing and Ngarava remain injury free for a long time. They could be around for years. Wellington will only be about 33-34 in 2027 so might still be around. He's alright. Ideally we'd have found someone better by that point though. Jongwe is still young although he'll probably be the size of a hippo, or dead, by 2027 :lol:

Marumani and Myers are the great unknowns. Will the former kick on, and will the latter ever return?

Maybe Bawa will be fast-tracked like Wes/Shumba were? Maybe one or two of the others in the current U19's might be in the senior team within 2-3 years.

In terms of 'imports', I suspect we will rely on people running out of road in County and having no other option, rather than a Jarvis/BT situation where we go out and pay bucket loads for them. Ben Curran is the most likely I think. That would be a lovely thing - Kevin would be very proud.

As mentioned last week, theres a large number of U23's playing in our domestics at the moment. We really need to hope and pray a few of them improve quite drastically and quickly.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:13 pm
lobsang wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:33 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:21 pm
Asalanka is next big thing in Sri Lankan cricket. In recent T20 World Cup, he showed his talent as finisher.
Shut up
Can't you admire a good talent ?
Honestly you are getting on my nerves and many others' for sure, just too annoying.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Shame that PJ has been lost. A few years ago he looked to be a fantastic prospect, especially in Test cricket.
Is Musakanda out of the picture, too?
Tony Munyonga is another.
There's enough talent just about, but I don't see any of them doing what Sean Williams did today. He's 35 hardly plays any cricket and still scores runs. So talented. We're so so lucky

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The Super League doesn't matter anymore but Ireland might best the West Indies again. Interesting. What's going on with the West Indies because from what I saw in September, Ireland are not that good. In fact from what I have seen over the last couple of years in our own games I would say Bangladesh might be a better ODI side than both Sri Lanka and the West Indies now. Real growth.