U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs Afghanistan | 22nd Jan 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs Afghanistan | 22nd Jan 2022

Post by sloandog »

From what I've heard from a source on the ground, a few of these lads are keen to try and crack the system which is good to hear. Not sure about Matty Welch. How good would it be to have two brothers playing for Zimbabwe again 😁 both Bennets and both Welchs

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The Bennett's and Wolhuter are keen to try apparently. Depends if a franchise gives them a go next season.

I imagine most of the bowlers will stick around, although Zvinoera has already started university in the UK.

Bawa is a smart kid - uni might be an option for him too.

Welch will probably follow his brother, especially if he has a good Plate. Might have options.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:18 pm
From what I've heard from a source on the ground, a few of these lads are keen to try and crack the system which is good to hear. Not sure about Matty Welch. How good would it be to have two brothers playing for Zimbabwe again 😁 both Bennets and both Welchs
There's a third younger Bennet brother who looks a good prospect as well. The three Masakadza's never played a full international together. Not sure if three siblings have ever played in the same international team in the world before?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well firstly you have to compare like for like. Those guys are way over age, they're men, half have experience at FC level and some have played T20 franchises.
In addition to that our guys just don't get the prep and the cash thrown at them that other countries do. Everyone knows the value of investment in the youth except our lot. Their policy is if you want to stick around then eat sadza and nyama and how you improve is your problem :lol:
This is not a Rocky movie, they need a liveable income and decent coaching, games and exposure at a higher level. They've just assumed some good players will miraculously appear every year and they have, they've relied heavily on private schools to do that yet they offer them no future? . They don't take u19 or other age groups seriously enough, they're obliged to make an appearance and ideally not embarass ZC. That ship is about to sail.
From a pool of 50 odd players to produce 3 batters that have done well against the best bowling attacks in the WC is damned impressive. Statistically it's not possible, I smell Prophet Java's influence.
That was a hiding yesterday, but just little things make a huge difference. I don't think we could have won that but we could have run it a lot closer with some tweaks. Those small tweaks are the difference between good and shit. Why go 90% of the way only?

I'll say this again (Secret doesn't agree), this is the last good bunch. We have 4 decent batters and 3 or 4 decent bowlers here who could conceivably go onto a Zim FC career. Of that lot maybe one or two could go further.
That's not happening next year, that group will be down to less than half that.

Take this last disappointing game- had we got Gibbs, taught these bowlers some proper death bowling skills, ditched the fee paying passenger players, given them some shoes, gone on two tours and given the real good ones high quality one on one stuff for 18 months we would have done better. You're expecting a miracle if you just go through the motions and expect results. We didn't even take the precaution of checking bowlers actions. That's a serious waste of cash right there, but it's free ICC cash so noone gives a shit.
Had that been someone's hard earned dosh you'd see a different approach. If tour funds had come from ZC coffers direct and participation was not mandatory would we have even sent a team? We don't do age group tours anymore so I doubt it.

Bowlers can develop later, but 95% of international front line batters are exceptional by the age of 14 or 15 or even younger. If they're not stand out by that age the likelihood of success is poor. You can teach a good guy how to do well now and then if he applies himself, but to give yourself a good chance you need half a dozen really exceptional youngsters and maybe one will emerge as a real international prospect if you're lucky.
Maybe there's another way but I'm yet to see it. ZC have explored these other laissez-faire options for 20 years without success. Anyone with an eye for this would have watched Bennet's innings against that Pakistan bowling line up and paid real attention, that's not something you see every day, or Welch's short innings against Pakistan and a better innings yesterday where he stroked boundaries against real quality bowlers, that's an innate ability, good luck teaching that. :lol:
Hopefully we will see more in the next couple of games and hopefully from a couple of the others, but not from a sustained class bowling line up like we've just watched.

Donald

Post by Donald »

So looking at the plate we beat scotland we face either canada or ireland and west indies are also in the plate. Would be good to face them in the final

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I think if Zimbabwe cab qualify for upcoming T20 WC and more importantly 2023 WC, it will start attracting more young talent. At least sone of them will get inspired by the prospect of playing in a World Cup.

A lot of bad things have happened because of missing out on two successive World Cups, the 2nd one for no fault at all.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Welch will probably follow his brother, especially if he has a good Plate. Might have options.
I really don’t think so.
The Welch kids aren’t EU or British Citizens. Times have changed since Nicks qualification.
Nick himself didn’t want to leave Zimbabwe. But remember he wasn’t selected for the Under 19s team and wasnt offered a first class contract so left begrudgingly.
Matty is in the Guy Whittal Safari Bushman mould. Kids Africa through and through.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*