U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs Afghanistan | 22nd Jan 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: U19CWC: Zimbabwe U19s Vs Afghanistan | 22nd Jan 2022

Post by Googly »

This Zim side is actually not bad, if they'd played a few decent u19 sides before this they'd have realised they're not out of place. We desperately needed Gibbs, some smarter death bowling and maybe one more batsman and we'd be competitive. It sounds like big wish list but we haven't disgraced ourselves and there have been some good individual performances, and I'm sure there will be a few more.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:56 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:54 pm

I’m 36 and I think his face looks older than mine.
Looks like a 16 yo with acne vulgaris probably.
Vulgaris cheater. God is punishing him. Only guy to get acne twice. :lol:

Donald

Post by Donald »

Looks like Zimbabwe vs Scotland in the plate quarter final

Should beat them

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:02 pm
This Zim side is actually not bad, if they'd played a few decent u19 sides before this they'd have realised they're not out of place. We desperately needed Gibbs, some smarter death bowling and maybe one more batsman and we'd be competitive. It sounds like big wish list but we haven't disgraced ourselves and there have been some good individual performances, and I'm sure there will be a few more.
Agree. I've been impressed. Knew there was some talent in this squad but I thought we'd tank considering the terrible preparation and two years of very little cricket.

I mean, we sort of have been smashed by Pakistan and Afghanistan, but that's no crime considering the age and quality of these guys.

Seen enough to know theres talent here. All three seamers look good. Chirwa is a big miss, but Mataranyika bowls very nicely. Don't think he bowled a bad ball in ten overs today. Maybe 1. Welch looks good, just needs to go and get a big one.

The target has to be to try and win the Plate surely.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

No matter what the outcome of this game will be, there are seriously at least 7 players who can go the distance and be successful at the highest level. The Bennett Brothers, Mat Welch, Bawa, Falco, Znivoera, Falao, Mataranyinka and Dube. If push comes to shove, ZC must do everything, which i know is more of a day-dream, they can to retain 4 or 5 of these kids. Connor Mitchell although is a super talented, like many here opined will not stick around so there is little chance of him playing for the senior team i guess.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think they need to see what sort of changes they can make to Chirwa. That guy is a real bowling talent. Schonken looks good as well.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

lobsang wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:12 pm
No matter what the outcome of this game will be, there are seriously at least 7 players who can go the distance and be successful at the highest level. The Bennett Brothers, Mat Welch, Bawa, Falco, Znivoera, Falao, Mataranyinka and Dube. If push comes to shove, ZC must do everything, which i know is more of a day-dream, they can to retain 4 or 5 of these kids. Connor Mitchell although is a super talented, like many here opined will not stick around so there is little chance of him playing for the senior team i guess.
I hope this inspires Welch to give it a go as I understand he’s just a weekend cricketer that plays now and then for fun (as kids should).
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's the first innings he's gone past 10 without hitting a 6, I think the penny has finally dropped. Finally saw some real maturity. Maybe this innings against such a good attack will make him realise he's got the goods.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:26 pm
I think they need to see what sort of changes they can make to Chirwa. That guy is a real bowling talent. Schonken looks good as well.
I presume the U19WC counts as a 'Major Event'? In which case the ICC are supposed to facilitate the independent assessment and provide a result within 5 days. I think he might pass, it's not that bad tbh. Unlike for example Roy Kaia*, who went to the assessment centre in SA and failed

*ZC still let him bowl in the Logan Cup lol, what a farce!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well 5 days is almost up. That outcome will be most interesting.