Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
lobsang

Re: Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Post by lobsang »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:09 pm
Just saw that commentator give D Bennet MoM for 30 and a 3fer, not sure how that tops a match winning 80 from MW? :lol: Or a really smooth and well played run a ball 50 from BB?
I think he scored 30 odd runs as well so that might have tilted the decision of awarding MOM in his favor but Connor Mitchell took the important wickets to be fair.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They were winning that anyway regardless of who bowled. It was the 50 and 80 and the 100 run partnership that did the damage. Noone else was close.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:15 pm
I'd open with Saul and put Bawa down the order. He would be a good finisher, he's down on confidence as well.
Did he make runs against Ireland? That's the only thing that would make me keep him at 2 or 3.
He's looking like a sitting duck against spin. Needs some urgent net work before the next game. Needs to stay on the front foot as a quick fix.
29, 5, 29 and 0 against Ireland.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You need a serious 4fer or a fifer to be in the running as a bowler. Batting is the hard part, particularly as an opener.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Jeez he's not having a good time of it. I'd like to see all his outs since the last WC. I'm betting he's struggling with spin and back foot stuff, not necessarily in that order. He's a great talent, easy to fix.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I've seen him before play this weird shot where he puts his feet together. Seems to be getting confused with length.

lobsang

Post by lobsang »

After the conclusion of this tournament, can we see some of these kids joining franchises in Zimbabwe? Mat Welch, Bawa, Bennett brothers, Falao, Dube, Mataranyinka, Zvinoera and Chirwa. Who do you reckon will join one of the five franchises in the near future?. Falao and Dube are two very good fast bowling prospects. Brian Bennett has got a very beautiful offie action and he has scored two 50s, I think he can also be a very good all-round prospect and then Mat Welch, two 50s as well.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

lobsang wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 pm
After the conclusion of this tournament, can we see some of these kids joining franchises in Zimbabwe? Mat Welch, Bawa, Bennett brothers, Falao, Dube, Mataranyinka, Zvinoera and Chirwa. Who do you reckon will join one of the five franchises in the near future?. Falao and Dube are two very good fast bowling prospects. Brian Bennett has got a very beautiful offie action and he has scored two 50s, I think can also be a very good all-round prospect and then Mat Welch, two 50s as well.
I imagine Dube, Falao and Mataranyika will be signed up very quickly.
Zvinoera has already started university in Wales.
Bawa hopefully, but he's quite good academically. Uni would be an option like Myers. Idk.
Chirwa needs to fix his action first.
Welch. His brother got into to the UK on an Ancestry visa, so obviously Matt is eligible too. Probably will have options.
Bennett's - not sure. Heard they both are interested in giving it a go here, so fingers crossed! They are definitely sticking with cricket.
Mitchell has a British passport.
Wolhuter & Saul probably don't have too many options. They might try.
Makoni will obviously get a franchise gig via his dad.

Depends on franchises signing them though. As we've seen before, they regularly ignore talented young players for various reasons.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well Chirwa probably has a lot of remedial work to do before he's a consideration. Somebody in ZC would have to think he's worthwhile. I have my doubts, it would be a great pity because I think he could be amazing.
Bennets are going to some kind of sport uni/school thing in SA I believe. I don't get it because they've finished school, but I think it's some kind of cricket academy. This Brian Bennet lad is the real deal, the composed way he bats is damned good and he bowls ok containing off spin darts. But it's his batting that stands out, he's real good. Good head on his shoulders.
Zvinoera is Uni
Falao and Dube for sure.
Welch for sure, needs some work, but we're looking for openers.
Not sure what Bawa's plans are, needs work as well.
Mataranyika looks good as well.

Theres probably space for 2 guys I'd think.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's what I don't like about people's approach to this. You cant judge a guy on one poor tournament. No-ones judging Bawa, but people are discounting Saul. Trust me this lad can bat.