Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs scotland under 19s First plate match

Post by secretzimbo »

Tinah09 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:20 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:58 am
Tinah09 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:04 am
ZimCricket, by ZimCricket I mean Dave Houghton, must do everything possible to retain at least half of this team. Obviously cricket talent runs in families, so the Bennet brothers, the Welch brothers (where’s the older Welch these days?), that’s already 1/3 of a competitive team in 5 or so years time. Bawa, Saul and Mitchel haven’t really risen to the Occassion (a ton vs PNG is okay, but come on?), but they are young and can improve. Falao and Dube will benefit bowling with Blessing, I would’nt write Chirwa off, he can be coached to tweak his illegal action, Mararanyika and the slew of part-time spinners make for a highly promising team!!
It’s not Dave Houghton’s job though - he’s just a coach education manager.

Contracts and players are Hamilton’s role as Director of Cricket. So it’s up to him to offer contracts or to put things in place to retain young players and strengthen the system.
Damn, does anyone believe that Hami has the persuasive skills and acumen to retain talent? I though Houghton vaguely defined role is to revive the sport across all levels, as well as use his contacts and credibility to attract touring teams, corporate sponsorship..you know, to make us respectable again. While Hamis job is to keep the political wolves at bay, receive ICC grants, hand a portion to Dave and get the fuck outta the way!!. I can guarantee you that Hami knows less about young Zim-eligible players in school, abroad than forumites like secretzimbo and googly
Houghton's role is well defined. He is the 'Coaching Manager'. He's only involved in coaching. And coaching the coaches!
We just hope that he can have a positive impact elsewhere like attracting players, touring teams etc through his contacts. But all we've got is hope!