Talent retention- the way forward

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Talent retention- the way forward

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:01 pm
Some of the discussion on the previous page about targeting poor communities and and stuff. I mean it worked twenty years ago, and a big chunk of our most successful black players were all from Highfield of course. I'm told kids playing street cricket there still happens, but I've no idea - It's not a place I've been to often, obviously!

But the easiest target first is the private schools and then maybe a small handful of the top government schools. Ultimately cricket is an extremely expensive sport - you need lots of equipment, lots of private coaching, and good facilities to make it to the top. Twenty years ago the ZCU had money and competency and so it filtered down from the rich white families and it penetrated into poorer communities as a result. Now we've got literally nothing, no infrastructure, very few coaches, very few facilities, very little money is spent on development. Few schools play.

We have to ensure the private schools that play cricket keep doing so to a high level, and really value the talent they produce. Then we need to make sure maybe 3 or 4 of the top gov schools are playing good quality cricket with good facilities and coaching.

We can dream of taking the game to the townships or the bush one day, but at the moment it's a million miles off. Fix the basics first, there is low hanging fruit and thats the upper classes, the private schools, the top gov schools.
Nick had to qualify for 4 years and went through hell to do it.
Matt won’t go to England.
He will stay in Zim. Cricket or not.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

6 years. Was supposed to be 5 but then Covid closed Home Office for a year.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

My memory is fucked. God knows what I'll be like in another twenty years :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Byproduct of covid and vodka

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Some of the discussion on the previous page about targeting poor communities and and stuff. I mean it worked twenty years ago, and a big chunk of our most successful black players were all from Highfield of course. I'm told kids playing street cricket there still happens, but I've no idea - It's not a place I've been to often, obviously!
Growing up in Highfields right at that time was great for cricket and thats how i got to fall in love with the game! All primary schools in Highfields got cricket equipment and everyone was soo invested in it! The emergence of Hami even lifted the love of cricket more. The talent was there and there a re a lot of very good names that never made it to FC even though they were very good at Junior levels. The family were never sold on cricket being a viable option so they never supported it and i know a few guys who had scholarships but could not go there as the parents wanted them to focus on school! If we can somehow increase the interest in the game, the talent can be polished! I remember group A schools coming to
Highfields and getting their a** handed back to them!
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:01 pm
Byproduct of covid and vodka
Speaking of, I tested positive to it. Yet I’m sitting in a London pub as we speak feeling as good as ever.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Good man. Spreading herd immunity is key to stopping this charade.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Growing up in Highfields right at that time was great for cricket and thats how i got to fall in love with the game! All primary schools in Highfields got cricket equipment and everyone was soo invested in it! The emergence of Hami even lifted the love of cricket more. The talent was there and there a re a lot of very good names that never made it to FC even though they were very good at Junior levels. The family were never sold on cricket being a viable option so they never supported it and i know a few guys who had scholarships but could not go there as the parents wanted them to focus on school! If we can somehow increase the interest in the game, the talent can be polished! I remember group A schools coming to
Nice to hear man. Obviously there's Takashinga, but do you know if anything else goes on there now? Do the schools still play? Do kids still play cricket in the street?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:10 pm
Good man. Spreading herd immunity is key to stopping this charade.
Yeah. We are batting on a good wicket with omicron so let that spread. My gf got it a few weeks ago and felt tired for three days. Me I’m fine.
We gotta spread it whilst it’s super mild. Otherwise it might evolve to something bad again.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:28 pm
ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:47 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Nice to hear man. Obviously there's Takashinga, but do you know if anything else goes on there now? Do the schools still play? Do kids still play cricket in the street?
Unfortunately the last time i visited i did not see any kids playing on the streets, as for the schools, i am sure the infrastructure tanked with time and i think the equipment is now in a dire state. I will ask my friends on the ground to see if someone can shade some light on that front!
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.