Zimbabwe vs west indies tomorrow for 11th place

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs west indies tomorrow for 11th place

Post by secretzimbo »

Finishing 12th (And NZ weren't here remember....it's basically 13th), below all other full members. Now facing a difficult African qualification next time against Uganda, Namibia, Kenya and others. Very high chance we're not at the next tournament.

It's embarrassing and a big big disappointment. Scrapping it out for qualification at both senior and junior level now. We are well and truly amongst the associates now in every aspect.

In any other country this would lead to a huge, root and branch review into the whole junior system and the failings of this tour specifically, leaving no stone unturned to ensure next time is significantly better.

But there won't be. It'll be business as usual and more jobs for the boys. The same mistakes will be repeated next time, and we will descend yet further. Our remaining facilities are continuing to deteriorate. Our number of coaches is declining. Our player pool is as small as ever. Schools are playing fewer fixtures than ever before. The worst people possible are in power at all levels.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:20 pm
These boys have talent, again, the coaching seems so unprofessional. I liked Utseya the bowler, but as for coaching credentials I am not sure. Clearly no game plan as the captain and keeper should do the placings from the theoretical coaching sessions before the game. This live coaching is not for cricket, maybe one or 2 instructions not every single over :lol: . Oh well. The boys should keep their heads high. We really just have to hope that those who want to stay are well managed. New coach for the next edition, otherwise ZC will have Utseya as a lifetime U19 coach. This is a really important age group in a nations cricket and the coach should be well qualified or someone with some coaching badges. You can easily kill a youngsters spirit and trust in the system at a young age.

Utseya, Hondo, Matsikenyere are really going to be big issues for us. At least get them into coaching clinics, learn the game, watch a lot of scenarios and footages then be trusted with teaching anyone. At this moment, it seems like a lot of the brotherhood and don't worry, I will organize something for you, you won't go hungry while I am the director my good old friend. This is why the elite players, mostly whites lose faith in such people around them, then it becomes a whole race thing once again.
^ A lot of sense being talked here

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:31 pm
UAE smashing Ireland in the plate. Really don't think that Ireland team looked very good. Bit of a joke that we lost to them.

There's a white boy batting for the UAE!
That white boy batting for the UAE is quite the talent. He was actually born and raised in Dubai and attended the 2020 U-19 world cup. He moved to the UK last year to pursue cricket and already has a few County 2s games under his belt

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

To be fair the lads also let themselves down today. But I guess that is why they are called schoolboy errors after all :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Got a feeling Prosper is in trouble here. Let's see what happens

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Whole U19 set up including Mukuhlani & Makoni should answer about this debacle. Out of 16 teams, 5 are from non test playing nations.In remaining 11 Afghans & Irish are very much new to test cricket. Finishing 13th being a test playing nation is of huge concern. Afghans are hard to catch for Zim, Irish set up also improving. UAE finishing 9th is something great for their talent pool. Very soon we might see Uganda, PNG or Canada giving fierce competition to Zimbabwe.

If you keep a controversial man as coach in Under 19 for long time, this kind of results do happen. Its look surprising he have'nt announced resignation after this poor show. Board was so much aggresive in sacking Stephen Mangongo and other staffs after 2018 U19 WC. Why they are so much silent on Utseya ? We might not see Zim U19 in next U19 WC if Utseya & co. continues with age group cricket. Masakadza /Mowayo/ Sibanda along with Jarvis should take age group cricket forward

A team hardly needs any coach to finish 11th or 13th in ICC events

Tinah09

Post by Tinah09 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:41 pm
CholeZimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:20 pm
These boys have talent, again, the coaching seems so unprofessional. I liked Utseya the bowler, but as for coaching credentials I am not sure. Clearly no game plan as the captain and keeper should do the placings from the theoretical coaching sessions before the game. This live coaching is not for cricket, maybe one or 2 instructions not every single over :lol: . Oh well. The boys should keep their heads high. We really just have to hope that those who want to stay are well managed. New coach for the next edition, otherwise ZC will have Utseya as a lifetime U19 coach. This is a really important age group in a nations cricket and the coach should be well qualified or someone with some coaching badges. You can easily kill a youngsters spirit and trust in the system at a young age.

Utseya, Hondo, Matsikenyere are really going to be big issues for us. At least get them into coaching clinics, learn the game, watch a lot of scenarios and footages then be trusted with teaching anyone. At this moment, it seems like a lot of the brotherhood and don't worry, I will organize something for you, you won't go hungry while I am the director my good old friend. This is why the elite players, mostly whites lose faith in such people around them, then it becomes a whole race thing once again.
^ A lot of sense being talked here
No amount of "coaching the coaches" that Dave Houghton will do can elevate the three (Utseya, Hondo, Matsikenyere) into serious coaches anytime soon. I know that Stewie (Matsikenyeri) lives the game of cricket but thats simply not enough, as a batsman, he was one of the pioneers of the Zim tradition of getting a start and throwing away his wicket, (over 100 ODIs, 0tons, ave 22).. Its a tough ask expecting him to suddenly have the ability of training batsman to regularly achieve at something (score 100s and ave late 30's-40s) he himself failed to do in over 100 innings. We could at least try to rope in an accomplished former international batsman for the role, SA's Ashwell Prince comes to mind (now that Brendan is person non grata).

Hondo was a meh bowler his entire (short-lived) career, I remember, he spent some time at the Denis Lilee Academy in Australia for a time (ZC sponsored), he returned for Zim during the Sharjah Cup in Pakistan where he bowled really well and was a stand out bowler, bowling tight lines at a healthy medium pace with great swing. In typical Zim fashion he regressed over a little span of time, all the elite coaching was replaced by the "bowl as fast as possible and hope for the best" strategy. He too isnt good enough to be a natl team bowling coach, we are better served brining in Dale Steyn as a consultant, he can be handed a 3 month/yr deal to work with all first class seam bowlers. I hear he spends a lot of time in Zim fishing and camping and SA don't seem to value his services (if he is offering them)

For head coach, again Lets look South. Ray Jennings is a ball-busting, perfectionist, disciplinarian who is good to bring aboard for intense, short term engagements. Keeping him long term will definitely lead to conflicts because he is difficult to get along with. A one-two year contract, just to get Zim cricket back on the track will be ideal. My bias towards South Africa is because our conditions are similar, its close proximity so the coaches can be home in SA for a large chunk of the year and be available when needed. The SA s system has and is producing world class talent, they must be doing something right and we need to get a slice of that. SA will be more open to playing vs us at vaious levels if there is synergy between our coaching systems.

For U19 coach, this role is best suited for recent retirees, it must be someone whos an accomplished ex-international cricketer whose stats are loaded with tons, wickets etc. I vote Sean Williams (hes retiring soon), its a perfect part-time gig for a guy who loves the game in small doses, a guy who can teach kids how to build an innings and score centuries BECAUSE HE HAS DONE SO HIMSELF. I would keep Elton, having two former all-rounders coaching a team means we will have all aspects of the game covered. Utseya must go to franchise cricket and make his bones there.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Lol it will just be the same rotation as usual.

Utseya will get a franchise gig instead.
Chigumbura will probably be U19 head coach.
Hondo/Matsikenyeri will be rotated around, maybe to a franchise at some point.

Chamu can't be far off retiring. He'll get a job :lol:

Like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Anyone with any ounce of competency, value or opinion has been carefully managed out of the system over many years. Mangongo didn't survive because he rocked the boat. Utseya hasn't, so he'll be fine and will get another cushy job in the system.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:09 am
Lol it will just be the same rotation as usual.

Utseya will get a franchise gig instead.
Chigumbura will probably be U19 head coach.
Hondo/Matsikenyeri will be rotated around, maybe to a franchise at some point.

Chamu can't be far off retiring. He'll get a job :lol:

Like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Anyone with any ounce of competency, value or opinion has been carefully managed out of the system over many years. Mangongo didn't survive because he rocked the boat. Utseya hasn't, so he'll be fine and will get another cushy job in the system.
I have always wondered why Chamu didn't follow Mupariwa to Australia. That was one of his best friends if I remember correctly. What motivated him to stay? To me the Panyangara and Mupariwa route is a far better option than trying to hang on in the system.