Chris Mpofu

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Chris Mpofu

Post by CalZim »

I was just wondering if Mpofu has retired from all cricket. I apologise if I have missed it in an earlier thread, he hasn’t played since April.

Would be sad to see him go, he was never a great player but did a good service for Zimbabwe and had his moments.

If he has retired, then he falls 4 wickets short of 300 first class wickets, which is an impressive haul. I wish him all the best for the future.

He still holds this record I think:

“He is the world record holder for conceding the fewest runs (6 runs) without bowling a maiden over in a T20 International after bowling the complete quota of overs”

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Chris Mpofu

Post by secretzimbo »

Don't think he ever officially announced a retirement but it certainly looks that way.

He's a great bloke btw. Have had the pleasure of meeting him before and he clearly had such a huge passion for the game. Have heard he's very good with youngsters over the years as well, so I hope he is helping out with coaching somewhere.

CalZim

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:21 pm
Don't think he ever officially announced a retirement but it certainly looks that way.

He's a great bloke btw. Have had the pleasure of meeting him before and he clearly had such a huge passion for the game. Have heard he's very good with youngsters over the years as well, so I hope he is helping out with coaching somewhere.
That’s great, I really do wish him well. He would be a great bowling coach somewhere if he wanted to stay in the game.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think he is doing some coaching with the Rhinos and also a school actually.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Probably still the best death bowler we have had the last 15 years.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

CalZim wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:52 pm
I was just wondering if Mpofu has retired from all cricket. I apologise if I have missed it in an earlier thread, he hasn’t played since April.

Would be sad to see him go, he was never a great player but did a good service for Zimbabwe and had his moments.

If he has retired, then he falls 4 wickets short of 300 first class wickets, which is an impressive haul. I wish him all the best for the future.

“He is the world record holder for conceding the fewest runs (6 runs) without bowling a maiden over in a T20 International after bowling the complete quota of overs”
That will be one of those records that will stand forever.
Who was that against?

Ya I've always enjoyed watching him bowl and he's just such a nice friendly guy. He's been a great servant of our cricket, I wish him all the very best.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:52 pm
CalZim wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:52 pm

That will be one of those records that will stand forever.
Who was that against?

Ya I've always enjoyed watching him bowl and he's just such a nice friendly guy. He's been a great servant of our cricket, I wish him all the very best.
I was against Canada

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Good bloke Bobby. Loved his attitude and his joy on the pitch. Him and Ray dancing after wickets is one of my best Zim memories.