County sides touring zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: County sides touring zimbabwe

Post by Googly »

Who do we play in those qualifiers?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Netherlands, Singapore, PNG, Hong Kong, USA, Uganda, Jersey. Two qualifying spots.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It’s two groups of four. So we have to qualify from the group and then basically there are ‘semi-finals’ which are effectively direct qualification games. So it’ll all come down to one game against potentially the Netherlands or someone.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I have to say it...
Surely we can't fuck this one up?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:23 am
I have to say it...
Surely we can't fuck this one up?
It’s our weakest format of the three. Netherlands had a shocker of a World Cup but they won the last (combined and bigger) global qualifier. USA are very quickly improving - they just beat Ireland remember. HK have been in two of the last three T20 world cups. Singapore and PNG capable of an upset on a good day.

ZC in all their wisdom think playing six months of endless Logan Cup and literally 6 DAYS of domestic T20 is sufficient preparation.

I really wouldn’t bet money on us qualifying.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How much do you think it would cost us in terms of lost revenues by not qualifying?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Fingers crossed that Australia call up Tim David before then.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Googly wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:29 am
How much do you think it would cost us in terms of lost revenues by not qualifying?
Anyone with any ideas? If we don't qualify and lose another chunk because each player has had 3 T20 innings it wouldn't be too smart.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 am
Netherlands, Singapore, PNG, Hong Kong, USA, Uganda, Jersey. Two qualifying spots.
Netherlands and Zimbabwe should go through hands down. The only challenge I see if from USA but Zimbabwe may not have to even play them in the semi final.

I'm sure Zimbabwe and Netherlands will be in opposite groups, so it will be good if USA ends up in Zimbabwe's group and Zimbabwe play them in a non KO match, winning there and topping the group would mean mostly playing someone like Hong Kong or PNG in the semi finals.

Ideally Zimbabwe should win the event, I know how Zim have messed up things in the past but I will still put them as firm favourites to win the Qualifier.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:26 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:05 am
Netherlands and Zimbabwe should go through hands down. The only challenge I see if from USA but Zimbabwe may not have to even play them in the semi final.

I'm sure Zimbabwe and Netherlands will be in opposite groups, so it will be good if USA ends up in Zimbabwe's group and Zimbabwe play them in a non KO match, winning there and topping the group would mean mostly playing someone like Hong Kong or PNG in the semi finals.

Ideally Zimbabwe should win the event, I know how Zim have messed up things in the past but I will still put them as firm favourites to win the Qualifier.

T20 format is unpredictable i don't see Zim ahead of these sides no matter how much experience they have, but this game is all about few balls and anything can happen in that short period. Upsets happens alot in this format as players comes with nothing to loose attitude.Once mistake happens its hard to recover in this format.Zim would have start favorites if it was Test or Odis, these associate sides nowdays plays plenty of T20s even more then Zim specially the asian sides, some tough battles ahead.