T20 World cup qualifiers: format change

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: T20 World cup qualifiers: format change

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:48 am
I guess Williams, Raza and Ervine shouldn't be in the Zimbabwe team. How dare they have a non Shona surname.
Thats quite different barring Raza. Williams and Ervine have generational roots in ZIM. But the Phillipines team doesn't have a single Filipino. A case can be made for teams like the UAE who's population is majority Desi - but even then, not having a single Arab player on a team with "Arab" in the name of the country is at least a little strange. For example, Uganda and Nepal have all native players. I'm not saying UAE or Phillipines should be banned...I'm just saying I don't mind not seeing such teams in World Events unless and until two conditions are met: 1

1) their team composition bears some likeness to their actual population, within a historic context
2) They actually have some degree of a fanbase beyond cricinfo journalists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:02 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:48 am
I guess Williams, Raza and Ervine shouldn't be in the Zimbabwe team. How dare they have a non Shona surname.
Thats quite different barring Raza. Williams and Ervine have generational roots in ZIM. But the Phillipines team doesn't have a single Filipino. A case can be made for teams like the UAE who's population is majority Desi - but even then, not having a single Arab player on a team with "Arab" in the name of the country is at least a little strange.
Have you asked any of the Philippines players if they have generational roots there, or what their associations with the country are? genuine question.

For someone who crusades so hard against racism, I'm surprised by this viewpoint you have. It feels close to the line.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Actually I looked up their photos and at least half the squad seem to have some Filipino ethnicity. I don't think you should jump to conclusions.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Not a good look if the Filipino team are filled with (I’m guessing) subcontinentals.
The game will never grow.
Would be another thing if they had a big population and structure form junior to senior but we all know they wouldn’t.
And then there’s the added exclusive behaviour.
I agre with Kriterion on this one.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:58 am
Not a good look if the Filipino team are filled with (I’m guessing) subcontinentals.
The game will never grow.
Would be another thing if they had a big population and structure form junior to senior but we all know they wouldn’t.
And then there’s the added exclusive behaviour.
I agre with Kriterion on this one.
Sorry but it's just a bullshit viewpoint. As I said, go and look at their photos. Around half of the squad are clearly of Filipino ancestry/ethnicity. As for the subcontinent names in the squad - I have no idea where they are from, but who's to say they haven't lived in the Philippines for a long time or even born there? Or long links to there? Idk, and neither do you guys.

This viewpoint is akin to supporting quotas. You guys basically want to see a load of ethnically 'native' players with the 'right' names and skin tone even if they are shit players and worse than guys who are legitimately qualified and eligible to play. How is that different from supporting quotas in SA or Zim? Double standards

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Looks like a lot of them have Filipino mothers and Australia/Indian fathers, hence the names.

I'm the same with a Filipino mother and an English name and surname thanks to my dad.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

A Blignaut playing for Germany

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Nepal looking strong for qualification in the WC

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

As an Italian I cannot but remind that D.Vettori, L.Ronchi, A.Zampa have all Italian surnmames.
However I think none of them was born in Italy, all of them are not proficient in Italian, maybe none has ever come to Italy as tourists.
Regardless their surname and clear Italian ethnic look, they are Newzealanders, Australian.

On the other hand in Italy cricket is growing fast, although 99% of players are from subcontinent origin. So is the Italian national squad.
Although surname and skin colour is not italian at all, these cricketers are as fluent as me in Italian, Many of them were born in Italy, others born abroad have now italian passport. Bottom line: as an Italiaman I prefer to be represented by these cricketers of subcontinent origin rather than from ItalianAustralians or Italiansouthafricans that have nothing to share with my Country.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

andrea lanzoni wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:07 pm
As an Italian I cannot but remind that D.Vettori, L.Ronchi, A.Zampa have all Italian surnmames.
However I think none of them was born in Italy, all of them are not proficient in Italian, maybe none has ever come to Italy as tourists.
Regardless their surname and clear Italian ethnic look, they are Newzealanders, Australian.

On the other hand in Italy cricket is growing fast, although 99% of players are from subcontinent origin. So is the Italian national squad.
Although surname and skin colour is not italian at all, these cricketers are as fluent as me in Italian, Many of them were born in Italy, others born abroad have now italian passport. Bottom line: as an Italiaman I prefer to be represented by these cricketers of subcontinent origin rather than from ItalianAustralians or Italiansouthafricans that have nothing to share with my Country.
Yes, Italy will very soon tour Zimbabwe for T20I games
Robo to rule :oops: