2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: 2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Post by sam_ahm »

MCC has recommended ODIs to be played only 12 months prior to the WC and to be scrapped otherwise. If this happens then I think it's time to say goodbye bye to this once beautiful game.

I can't watch bilateral T20s and franchise cricket, all year long.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

A crazy idea. If anything T20s should be limited to franchise cricket and ICC tournaments with Tests and ODIs making up the bulk of the calendar. Proposals such as this really will limit the potential of smaller nations. I wish T20 had never been invented.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:55 am
MCC has recommended ODIs to be played only 12 months prior to the WC and to be scrapped otherwise. If this happens then I think it's time to say goodbye bye to this once beautiful game.

I can't watch bilateral T20s and franchise cricket, all year long.
Personally don’t think the world should be taking advice from the all-male retired full member cricketers who make up the MCC world cricket committee. Or of course by the wider MCC club of elderly upper class English men, who spent last week trying to shout at Usman Khawaja in the long room after they had half a pint of shandy.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya thats not something you see every day in the Long Room. 3 members suspended and investigations ongoing.
The abuse seemed to come from a couple of younger guys, I'm sure the older chaps were probably still asleep in their chairs outside, drooling onto their pin stripe jackets.
People already alleging racial bias because Khawaja was involved, but if you're going to retaliate towards a crowd who feel the safety in numbers it's going to escalate.
It never ends well if a player reacts to a crowd, rightly or wrongly.

The spirit of cricket is a confusing issue. Players say the most despicably cutting things to each other but the spirit of cricket is brought into play when there's a mankad or this stumping. Sledging is nothing compared to what it used to be though.
Personally I thought the captain should have retracted that appeal, that over was done, bar the calling of it.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I wonder if the MCC even like this proposal? They probably see the writing on the wall for international cricket like the rest of us and are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. They are probably trying to avoid the scenario where international cricket is played by second tier talent while all the best players just play for franchise teams like the Muscat Musketeers and the Ajman Super Belligerents.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't even recall the last test match I saw on DSTV aside from these Ashes.
When did SA last play a test match? It's their TV station.
Oh for the days of Donald, Rhodes Kallis, Kirsten, Ntini etc

eugene

Post by eugene »

South Africa last played a test series in February/March of this year. Their next test commitment is a two-game series in December against India I believe.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

And then that's it. It's so shit. Our day for cricket was insane. Watching the boxing day test matches in Australia with Gregg, Chappel, Slater and Lawry commentating was where it was at, or the South Africa home series with Kallis and Smith causing chaos.

This Major League Cricket saying they want more England based players involved....fuck off. Focus on your national side who, to put it politely, were appalling this CWCQ.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I just don't understand how franchise T20 cricket interests anyone beyond the betting and match fixing syndicates.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:35 pm
I just don't understand how franchise T20 cricket interests anyone beyond the betting and match fixing syndicates.
Yeah makes no sense. But then again the world is full of good people absorbing bad ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)