2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: 2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:37 am
Would have agreed with you two years ago, but I've really enjoyed watching some women's cricket this year. Watched that FairBreak thing which was great, some of the commonwealth cricket and a few women's Hundred matches when Sky put them on youtube.

I don't think it has to be the 'same standard' as men. Just enjoy it for what it is.

As for the Hundred thing, it certainly looks like a good product for the people it is trying to appeal to. Not sure how they are going to balance it with the one day comp and the counties though. That's the problem.
Yeah womens cricket has improved rapidly. It was a lot lot worse a few years back.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:47 am
Playing against a load of wife beaters and terrorists every few months, who really should be banned anyway, doesn't get me going.
I think its quite generous of teams like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and to a lesser extent Pakistan agreeing to play and tour Zimbabwe. You could possibly throw India in there too, but they always send an A side. I reckon everything from food to accomodation would be very substandard, and then there's always the risk of running into someone with AIDS or syphilis.
Cricket is a disgrace unfortunately. Don't even get me started on what they've done to the Netherlands.
They haven't done anything to Netherlands. A Zimbabwean doesn't see the point in playing a top team like Bangladesh or an up-and-coming side like Afghanistan. Who would get excited to play against Netherlands?

Netherlands would have possibly gotten relegated after this cycle anyways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:31 am
Sorry of that sounded sexist, I'm all for equality. I just don't like the way the world is going in that just because Liberal rights are more prominent now, women should automatically be paid the same as men. Women's football I can see, especially in England, as there are some damn fine players and play to a serious standard. In cricket though, when you can clear a 50 metre boundary or you're getting out to pie throwers, equal pay to the men shouldn't even be a thing.
I don't think anyone is arguing that women's sport is equal in quality to men's. Its more about getting a living wage. Of course market conditions can't be ignored, and therefore I think if women athletes make half of what men's athletes do, then that is fair. But someone else will always disagree. But right now, many women's sports make way less than men's. WNBA players probably don't even make 5% of what NBA players make. Thats not fair.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:09 pm
I think its quite generous of teams like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and to a lesser extent Pakistan agreeing to play and tour Zimbabwe. You could possibly throw India in there too, but they always send an A side. I reckon everything from food to accomodation would be very substandard, and then there's always the risk of running into someone with AIDS or syphilis.
Wow. Nice racism there.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

If you think thats even remotely funny, fuck off.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:17 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wow. Nice racism there.
Just holding up the mirror.

Googly

Post by Googly »

As repetitive as it is playing against Afghanistan they're our nemesis, and probably our biggest rivals, we have to get to beating them regularly to prove to ourselves and to the minority of the cricketing world that remotely follow us that we've improved.
They've got a serious bowling attack that will trouble any team, so I'm not sure quite how we're planning to do that just yet.

M&M were getting the customary fawning adulation from the usual sycophants for organising us the least amount of games amongst the main 12 teams.
109 vs 152 England. Bear in mind a fair percentage of these teams will find an excuse for not coming.

The median NBA wage is $4.5 mill, 5% of that is
$250k, those poor dears having to suffer so.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:50 pm

Im surprised they dont play an annual test match between each other, for no other reason than it gives SA a chance to black their team up for the annual quota forces.
For all the African politicians talk about not relying on the west and empowering their own, CSA and ZC don't seem intent on forging a relationship. It's shambolic. Neighbours, and they can't even get their cricketing shit together. The Sables have been able to get a team into an SA comp and often use SA facilities and standards, and they keep improving.

Even if CSA don't want to play too many main matches, the trip is only an hour or so, and they can easily arrange to make it regular youth series or A side series.
Kriterion_BD wrote:

What the actual eff.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:47 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:27 pm
Strange sentiment I guess. Personally, I feel different but still EQUAL amounts of excitement when Bangladesh plays the likes of ZIM/IRE/AFG. There are many reasons, and I'm sure the increased probability of winning plays a role in that. But its more about getting to watch teams that otherwise "fly under the radar". I usually follow most if not all of Zimbabwe's international matches (in large part because of ZCF), but I only see Ireland or Afghanistan if they play against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. There's a novelty factor about watching Ireland and Afghanistan that doesn't exist with any other teams, precisely because they are the newest entrants to Full Membership.

But tell me honestly, you didn't enjoy the hell out of the last BD-ZIM series? From a long term, cricketing perspective its probably just a blip on the radar. But in the moment, that had to have been a hell of a series where you come back from top order collapses to chase 300 and seal a series win.
Ya I'm exaggerating obviously. if we were playing Eswatini or Cameroon you can bet I'd still be all over the match threads :lol: I do care whoever we play of course. And yes it was highly enjoyable beating Bangladesh so convincingly in both series. I'm not so sure it will be a 'blip' as you describe though.

But it's the repeatability of it that is boring. The same team every year. And no offence, but Bangladesh obviously isn't as exciting as playing India and Australia or even mid-ranked teams like WI, NZ, Pak etc.

We played Afghanistan last year, and this year already, and they are coming again in December, and we are playing them again next year!!! 4 series in 3 years ffs. Playing against a load of wife beaters and terrorists every few months, who really should be banned anyway, doesn't get me going.

We are blessed to be playing India and Australia this month, but now we have no more fixtures with India until at least 2028, and probably none with Australia until 2138. If England ever toured here now it would be an indescribably massive event here. None of the other teams, especially Bangladesh, create excitement at that level.

Cricket is a disgrace unfortunately. Don't even get me started on what they've done to the Netherlands.
There are problems in Afghanistan and they way Taliban works, obviously it hasn't gone down well with most of the world but that doesn't mean we should generalize it towards all Afghans. I think the players are good, we've seen great bonding between Sikki and Rashid and honestly I don't have anything against the Afghan players as such.

I think they are a good side, and Zimbabwe have definitely got some sort of a rivalry going against them. Of late of course they've got the better of Zim but I'm sure if both teams are to meet now, we will see a very competitive series.

The biggest point we all should understand here is for lower ranked nations to survive and subsequently be competitive again is to be United and support each other.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If we were more competitive we'd possibly have better relations with CSA. As we've discussed ad nauseum, having a team in their domestic league would tick a huge number of boxes for us, but the only one that could vaguely compete would be our national side and you cant have a national side playing domestic cricket. If someone could figure out how to horn in there it would be a big win.
That Academy side went all the way to India, but there's SA on our doorstep. The only thing we seem to be able to get involved in is age group cricket and they're pretty tolerant of us, sometimes we send a team, but usually we don't.
Namibia is also an option.

I guess it's a bit like Ireland and Scotland trying to figure out how to benefit from the higher standard next door to them.