2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Post by TapsC2 »

When you see our chairman getting invites like that, just know there are some important votes around the corner. That's the only leverage we have to be honest and I hope he uses the opportunity wisely.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Marshmallow wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:46 am
Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:20 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:37 am
Haven't been following any cricket except some Zim matches of late, but I did come across this tweet... What is he doing in the "Asia Cup"? :lol:

Well, anyway, if he can get some visits from India regularly, nothing like it. Good for the economy, and good to get some diaspora guys excited...

Pardon my ignorance, but who is the smug looking billionaire he's talking to?
Jay shah BCCI secretary and ACC president.
Also son of prime minister Narendra Modi's right hand Amit shah. He is very important to Indian politics

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya agreed. He looks like a prize c#£.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Jay Shah is the favourite to be the next ICC Chair, he’s almost certainly going to stand for election.

ZC did NOT vote for the BCCI-backed candidate (Barclay) last time. Clearly just want our vote…

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd pay money to be listening to that convo :lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just noticed that the Karnataka team (not looking like full strength) is touring Namibia for a 5 match series: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/kar ... 23-1378257

Now this kind of thing - getting a good FC team from India visit Zim every year either pre-season or post-season would be a great thing - specially for the spin and batting departments. Now that the English counties have visited, we can dream...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:25 am
Ya agreed. He looks like a prize c#£.
He just has that look about him.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

ICC appear to be reconsidering the ODI Super League after the 2027 WC.

I thought I'd be the last person to say this but after all the excitement of the WCQ, a bilateral series appears to be useless indeed without any context. Bangladesh are playing Afghanistan at the moment and although it is part of a structured tour of 1test, 3 ODIs and 2 T20s... It just appears to be meaningless.

ODIs should always be a part of the ODI super league with all 13 members playing a 3 match series against each other over the course of 4 years or say 3.5 years. That is 36 ODIs per team over 3.5 yrs which is very reasonable.

In addition we have the WCQ, the WC and ODI league 2 for associates.

We can also have continental tournaments like Asia Cup, Africa Cup, etc... May be we can club one for Aus, Europe and Americas... Something like that.

Tests should be a part of WTC and there must be a promotion/relegation system to have some pathway for Zim, Afg, Ire to make it to the main league.

T20s, I believe can be limited to T20 WCs and Franchise leagues.

I know ICC won't do anything and cricket fans are most useless and uncared for in this world, but just saying.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Whatever format the ICC settles on, just know that it will be changed in a few years anywhere. Everytime India don't win a major tournament (which is most of the time) there are rumblings of format and calendar changes. The BCCI really are a blight on international cricket.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Makes sense to me. Context matters. It's the only way to keep that format alive. The WCQ were a good watch because of what was on the line. In fact bilateral series might be what dies to keep international cricket alive, well besides the big 3's series against each other of course :lol: