Shane Warne passes away!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Shane Warne passes away!

Post by sam_ahm »

I can't believe this folks. This legend deserves a thread. What a champion, what a he legend he was.

I'm shocked, gutted, terribly sad. 😢😢😢

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Shane Warne passes away!

Post by sloandog »

Such a sad day. Honestly, I'm absolutely gutted.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I’m not usually one to get emotional over people I’ve never met, no matter who they are. But this one is tough. Really sad to hear.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

An absolute legend. The real spin bowling GOAT.

RIP Warnie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Legend

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

RIP Warnie,

Legend

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Of course Zimbabwe was the scene of a small but important time in Warne's career. His first ever international cricket was for Australia 'B' in Harare in 1991. He also took his first ever career 5fer on that tour.

I was lucky enough as a young boy to watch him - and the rest of that great Aussie team - play in Bulawayo in 1999, I remember Neil Johnson getting a big score but we were still thrashed. Warne took a couple of wickets from memory.

I never had much interest in bowling when I played, but even I remember having a laugh trying to bowl some leg spin at school after watching him.

700 test wickets, 3000 Test runs, and he banged Liz Hurley. Not a bad effort for 52 years. Rest easy legend.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't know if this was the same team that Brett Lee was in when they toured? The Young Australians, I think?
This may almost have been the fastest Lee ever was, think he was about 20. Absolutely f@#% terrifying. I'd have just refused to bat!!
Warne also played some club cricket in England for a season, surprisingly with mixed results. It was an era when cricket was a little more relaxed. Its a high pressure Pro game now with not as many characters as days gone by.
You go and have a beer with some mates, maybe punch someone and shag his girlfriend and you're a pariah. You'd have gotten colours for that behaviour twenty years ago.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Brett Lee went to Zimbabwe with the Australian Cricket Academy in 98/99, whereas Warne was with Australia B in 91/92.
I gathered this info from cricketarchive.com & this led me to see that 4 Aussie youth or development teams toured Zim in the 80s & 90s. Plus NSW toured twice in the 80s & Tasmania in 95/96.
Add this tours to the 10 English counties that toured during this time (including Worcester 3 times, 90/91, 93/94, 96/97) & Western Province touring 3 times in the 90s.
So, while you had a very limited domestic setup, these teams touring provided good opposition. And the chance to meet other players & share experiences & knowledge.
So much for Australia's support now.
Regarding that you would refuse to bat against Lee, I doubt that. I was in a Queensland Cricketers Club supporters tour of Asia in 1984 & we played at RAAF Butterworth in Malaysia. It poured overnight & the wicket was spicy. We batted first & got rolled for about 100. The RAAF boys still weren't that confident because we had Jeff Thomson. First ball he flattened all 3 stumps, sending the opener packing. After that, Thommo backed off & bowled at half pace. He knew he could have really hurt someone & the RAAF won easily.
But at the drinks after the game, all that opener could talk about was being bowled by Thommo & he became proud of it. Something to tell the kids. Got the ball from hell, totally unplayable. I reckon you & other forum members would be the same.
And I got to face Thommo in a nets session. Even though he was barely trying, to this day I can say he didn't dismiss me. So let's not kill a good story with the truth.
Damn! That trivia about Worcester touring 3 times would have been a good trivia question.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Great stuff, thanks!! Old age makes the dates blur.
I think Gubbins, Compton, Fraine and Curran will be good ambassadors for us and these county tours in their pre-season could become an annual event. I believe there are a handful of county academy guys coming out at the end of the year to the AC Academy so this thing will surely gather momentum.
Covid basically set us back 2 years in this regard.
Probably the main reason Australia have backed off is because we don't provide enough opposition, if we were still competitive I'm sure there would be some interest.

If handled correctly this is going to take off and will be of immense benefit for our cricket. Here's my 10c worth-
We desperately need to get some more club grounds into really good order to enable more games, plus they need to have a decent club environment so those lads can go back ea year and just say - damn, that was amazing. And believe me it's a great experience for anyone to come here and play and socialize. Zim still has a lot to offer. I think there's a chance that the number of overseas guys wanting to play franchise here next season may almost be oversubscribed!
What is ZC's policy- one overseas per team or two? They'll all be batsmen so that would mean 10 of our batters have to make way. My view is that the remaining batsmen would benefit more, but ZC may not see it like that.

We need something in return from England that side in our off-season. We will already be benefiting, but we need to benefit more. That Rising Stars initiative was the right plan, needs refining and we need to lose the stars/starlets name :lol: . We need sponsorship/funding to send a quality team of young blokes to go and play 30 games there in our winter under good leadership. Matsi and TT did a great job by all accounts last time. It would be an absolute game changer for the quality of our cricket. Of course the good guys can always get gigs as individuals at various clubs, but if we went as a team it would be far more beneficial and enjoyable. Plus we could probably get some games against County Two's sides which is the level we need to be shooting for, thats tough cricket.