Domestic T20 Thread 2022 | 24th-30th March

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Domestic T20 Thread 2022 | 24th-30th March

Post by secretzimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 pm
Looks like there was quite a healthy crowd in attendance! Nice to see, feels like a very long time since we’ve had that.
It's actually been a pretty well organised domestic season by ZC standards hasn't it. Credit where due etc. Hopefully we can make further progress and have an even better year next season.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 pm
Looks like there was quite a healthy crowd in attendance! Nice to see, feels like a very long time since we’ve had that.
Well for a T20 final and there was a big rugby event on the other field there should have been plenty more. There were probably ten times the number of people watching the rugby. HSC is a magnificent cricket ground, I'm always in awe of it. People don't give a shit about cricket here.
Evans had yet another good day with the ball, I don't think he went for more than 10 runs! He's our most economical seamer by a distance. He and Ngarava bowl well in tandem, I didn't like the bowling changes at the back end of the innings- when Mountaineers were 8 down after 14 overs surely bring on your two strike bowlers immediately and try and wrap it up? Those last two wickets put on 30 runs and they batted their full 20 overs, that wasn't great captaincy.

Our T20 batting is terrifyingly bad. Eagles were chasing 105 and were 5 down after 10 overs, that's woeful. Even Madhevere had some laughable swings and misses when he didn't need to and the ball that got him out he should have played straight and not tried to pull and in fact he and Welch put their team in jeopardy by the needless loss of their wickets, made for a nail biter though. They'd have gotten into trouble for not closing out an easy game playing for a big side, instead they got money and whiskey :lol:
I don't know why the groundsman would set 80m boundaries square of the wicket either. Doesn't make for a high scoring game. The opener went for a first ball duck from Wellington. Surely he knew the new ball would skid on, why would he be going back to it? No thought process there whatsoever. He's a good bowler, bowled immaculate line and length.

I just don't get this way too aggressive approach by almost every batsman when they're not actually good enough to pull it off. So many balls chewed up because of wild misses. These guys could all do with loads of measured range hitting and the better guys need to all learn some paddles and reverses, plenty low risk runs on offer there.
We are in shit in this format, lots of work to do.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I watched back the final 10 overs of the stream and the commentators (Chioza, Chimbabmo, Kwirirayi and Darlington, I think) were repeatedly roasting and criticising Wes for 'not being able to tee off' and his run a ball strike rate being 'far too slow'. They even suggested Welch's wicket was Wes' fault for 'building pressure by batting too slowly'. Considering they were only chasing 105 and had wickets down, I think going at a run a ball was pretty sensible and mature. Better than wildly swinging at every delivery, which is what the commentators seemed to think would be the best strategy. Clueless.

But yeah we are terrible at this format. The whole week has been rubbish cricket. Everyone thinks it's a certainty we will qualify but I think we will struggle. The associates are better than anyone here gives them credit for, and we are pretty awful at T20. Hopefully the selectors can pick the best available squad and they have a good couple of months prep.

Next season I'd like to see a T20 played between teams after every Logan Cup fixture maybe. So we are playing it throughout the season. Then at the end of the season the results from those can go towards a final T20 festival week like this or something.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I'm not sure if they are still doing North/South T20's but if they do then these are the 30 that I'd like to see put in the squads. Some names in there for the future or just because I want to see more of them.

Sikandar Raza, Craig Ervine, Sean Williams, Brad Evans, Matt Welch, Ryan Burl, Jonathan Campbell, Regis Chakabva, Aisha Chibanda, Kudzai Maunze, Wessly Madhevere, Tapiwa Mufudza, Richard Ngarava, Tanaka Chivanga, Milton Shumba, Ainsley Ndlovu, Clive Madande, Luke Jongwe, Prince Masvaure, Roy Kaia, Tashinga Musekiwa, Tony Munyonga, Kevin Kasuza, Wellington Masakadza, Tendai Chatara, Victor Nyauchi, John Masara, Tadiwanashe Marumani, Sydney Murombo, Tendai Chisoro