Darwin Murombo: The next bright star from Zimbabwe?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Does anyone know about this kid? Apparently younger brother of current Rocks player Sydney Murombo...

Practicing in the net facilities at the Taranaki Cricket Association in New Zealand, ably guided by the former Chevrons top order batsman Dion Ebrahim, the bright shining eyes of this 14 year old kid are hard not to notice. Darwin Murombo has all the shots in the book and has one of the best hand eye co-ordination ever seen for a kid at this age, if Ebrahim is to be believed.

"Batting comes naturally to him", says Ebrahim, adding "you'll see this kid carve out a huge name for himself in the international arena in the years to come".

Darwin is known for brisk scoring at the top of the order and has Australian Adam Gilchrist and Indian Virender Sehwag as his batting idols. He made a name for himself scoring the fastest U15 100 in Taranaki a couple of weeks ago, in just 33 deliveries. This was his 4th hundred from 2021 - 3 for Taranaki and one scored in Sri Lanka, where he played some age group club cricket briefly.

"I got the interest in the game watching cricket on TV and at HSC as a kid. My brother Sydney played age group cricket, so I had someone to look up to at home", says young Darwin.

It is still unclear where Darwin's hearts lie when it comes to representing a team internationally. "We have seen how Tawanda Muyeye made a name for himself in the UK. We have Blessing representing various T20 leagues around the world. So, I'm hoping that I get the right break when the time is right. I'll keep playing my game and let us see how it goes".

Darwin is yet to play any serious cricket in Zimbabwe, his country of birth, but he has been to casual games with his brother Sydney in the past and has had net sessions. "I got some guidance during those times from great players like Ray Price, Elton Chigumbura and Andy Blignaut. These are invaluable. Here I'm lucky to have the guidance of Dion Ebrahim too", said the younger of the Murombo brothers.

"I'd be hoping to play some age group cricket in Zimbabwe next year and let us see what happens after that" concluded Darwin.

Donald

Re: Darwin Murombo: The next bright star from Zimbabwe?

Post by Donald »

April fool joke?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Put him in the senior squad to open the batting right now! :lol:

Tym to giv youngstars a chance 4 zim

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Darwin and Sydney, lol :D

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 am
Tym to giv youngstars a chance 4 zim
:D :D

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Mr Twig wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:48 am
Apparently they also have another one in between them - Shingirai Hobart Murombo. He did not find Cricket to his liking and played a bit of football it seems.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:58 am
Mr Twig wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:48 am
Apparently they also have another one in between them - Shingirai Hobart Murombo. He did not find Cricket to his liking and played a bit of football it seems.
:D Honestly the fact that Shingi isn't called Auckland or something has been a constant source of annoyance to me throughout his very lengthy career!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

100% true confirmed, read about him being coached by Blignaut last year.

I think the Sydney/darwin thing just a coincidence. Like how sri lanka has two spinners named mendis.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*