U19 Trials

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: U19 Trials

Post by sloandog »

Did anybody ever see Campbell Macmillan bowl? Secret, googly?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

There's another round of U19 cricket this weekend. Squads are apparently;

Tuskers: Arineshto Vezha, Brandon Sunguro, Campbell Macmillan, Codie Marillier, Dennis Serima, Josh Martell, Liam Jones, Mark Johnson, Mashford Shungu, Matthew Rust, Panashe Gwatiringa, Panashe Taruvinga, Sean Bennett, Tapiwa Tuna, Tapuma Mukwazhi, Wessly Maramwidze

Eagles: Achieve Chipunza, Dylan Nzvenga, Hope Chikwana, Huggins Machaka, Kai Potzas, Kalvador Petersen, Liam Mudenda, Lwandile Chitofu, Matt Schonken, Michael Chimedza, Petros Sithole, Ronak Patel, Ryan Kamwemba, Shaun Dzakatira, Simbarashe Mudimu

Rhinos: Carlton Takawira, Dhaneel Ghoven, John-Mark Benadie, Justin Steyn, Kupakwashe Muradze, Lesley Chomudondo, Michael Westhoff, Mufaro Mangure, Muller Mumba, Munashe Chimosoro, Newman Nyamhuri, Panganai Chivonambi, Takudzwa Hove, Taona Zimhunga, Tawana Nduku, Tedius Muzerengi, Western Rabvunda

Mountaineers: Benjamin Banks, Ben Williams, Brad Wentzel, Daniel Makatare, Kohl Eksteen, Nathaniel Hlabangana, Ngonidzashe Gongera, Nkosibongwe Gogodo, Saxon Pettican, Sean Magaso, Shane Garwe, Shane Muchenje, Thabo Donsa, Thabo Nxumalo, Thelson Madziwana, Villain Changa

As always though I expect the squads will change a lot on the day.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Wentzel's brother used to be a fantastic keeper if I recall.
I see a Marillier in there.
Bennett is very good I believe.
Taruvinga having a second stab at u19. He came rated first time around and was out of his depth completely.
Schonken badly injured, yet he's in the squad? :lol:
Johnston and Jones are St John's harare so why are they in the Matabeleland squad along with Bennet who is from PH and should be in the Mountaineers squad.
I've seen Campbell Macmillan bat, not bowl. I don't know what his strong suit is supposed to be.

I'm not seeing Erasmus and Grant, probably our two best bowling prospects. Erasmus is fast and Grant gets prodigious crazy swing and both can bat a bit. Why??

Googly

Post by Googly »

Oh I haven't seen Eksteen bat unfortunately, but I believe he's a real prospect.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think Erasmus is too old? The next WC is 2024 so these kids are effectively under-17 at the moment. Not sure where Grant is though.

Taruvinga, Nyamhuri and Sunguro are the kids on scholarships at Madhevere's old school so should be decent prospects. Nzvenga is good too. Mudenda the most highly rated, but I think he's only just turned 15 this month.

Ya Bennett is supposed to be good. Williams and Pettican too.

I wouldn't take the squad lists too literally, I guess they've just mixed the squads up so that they are balanced and of a similar standard hence the random province allocations. They usually end up changing the squads on the day too and there'll probably be a few additional names turn up.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Actually the squads they listed and sent out for the last trials in April turned out to be radically different on the weekend itself :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Erasmus is still at school, if he's too old it will be by days I reckon. Never stopped anyone yet :lol:
I think he was talking an athletics scholarship to USA.
Hes a machine.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think he’s in his final year. All these kids should be the year below I think

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Great to see so many family names from the 90s starting to pop up again. Fingers crossed they can turn into something half decent.