Zimbabweans in the UK/Europe Club Cricket (2022)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

Re: Zimbabweans in the UK/Europe Club Cricket (2022)

Post by Marshmallow »

Zimbabweans in the UK/Europe Club Cricket thread turned into England team discussion thread.
Again threads are turning to unappropriated discussion thread :geek:
Wake-up guys.....

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's just such a pain going to the other cricket page, which not many people read. English cricket is front and centre with The Blast and this test match. Not much else going on anyway.
Check out Wayne Madsen from Derbyshire, 38 years old and in the form of his life, brilliant player.
If Derbyshire come out here for pre-season we will get to see him. Brilliant to watch when he's in full flow.
Houghton left Derbyshire and they had an immediate change of fortunes with Mickey Arthur, which I don't understand. I'm not sure their player pool changed much.
These small counties have about a tenth of the war chest of the big counties who can watch player development in the smaller counties and just cherry pick them at leisure for double the salary, it's very skewed.
Leicestershire will lose Riaan Ahmed the day his contract expires. He's going to be a top player.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Perhaps we can use this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27518&start=70 - as that was more for County level stuff I think, whereas this was for Zimbos in club cricket.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

At 37 I think I’m reaching old age because the crummy old man in me thinks this really should be in the other cricket forum and this sub should be Zim related only.
The other subs need some TLC.

Side note:
Seeing so many random names (to me) on the other country cricket discussion is starting to really show to me how much I’m starting to lose internet in cricket as a sport.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, I am keeping up with Zimbabwe, Australia and New Zealand a bit. Plus some of the little places. But the other countries are off my radar.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:08 am
It's just such a pain going to the other cricket page, which not many people read. English cricket is front and centre with The Blast and this test match. Not much else going on anyway.
Check out Wayne Madsen from Derbyshire, 38 years old and in the form of his life, brilliant player.
If Derbyshire come out here for pre-season we will get to see him. Brilliant to watch when he's in full flow.
Houghton left Derbyshire and they had an immediate change of fortunes with Mickey Arthur, which I don't understand. I'm not sure their player pool changed much.
These small counties have about a tenth of the war chest of the big counties who can watch player development in the smaller counties and just cherry pick them at leisure for double the salary, it's very skewed.
Leicestershire will lose Riaan Ahmed the day his contract expires. He's going to be a top player.
Mickey Arthur is a genius. I`ve already said this but he turned around pakistan, noticeably helped Sl too. Mainly through strict fitness and catching. But I dont know if any coach can help ZImbabwe significantly. Need to see if Houghton actually has an effect

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

South Africa is one to watch fellas. In 2018 and 2019, when Gibson was coach, I lost complete interest in them as they were selecting older players constantly when there were gun youngsters itching to be given a chance.

Since they've retired or been dropped (Faf, Tahir, De Villiers, Amla) they;ve been able to blood some younger lads.

Seeing Stubbs, Coetzee, Jansen, Peterson and others come into these sides and do well is really good to see and it validates my point that South African Cricket will always be strong. Sport is ingrained in their culture and many of this blokes will be talented rugby, hockey tennis players etc.

I honestly can't wait to see the english take on the south africans this summer. The way Baz Ball has taken off and the way South Africa played against India in their recent test outing suggests this will be a close series. The pace attack for South Africa is as good as it's been for a long time.

Nortje is back bowling heat.
Jansen gets scary lift and bowls high 80's.
Rabada is Rabada, he's world class and is getting his pace back together.
Ngidi may not be rapid but he gets a lot of bounce and is now an excellent test bowler.
Mulder will do some damage in the UK's wickets I think.

There's still room, I think, for Gerald Coetzee, too! He bowls 90mph plus and is a genuine lower order batter. It's just nice to see that the selectors are seeing this and are beginning to transition him in by adding him to the T20 squad.

To summarise, South Africa are a team on the up, in all formats, and they're starting to build a dangerous team who know their roles.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:53 am
South Africa is one to watch fellas. In 2018 and 2019, when Gibson was coach, I lost complete interest in them as they were selecting older players constantly when there were gun youngsters itching to be given a chance.

Since they've retired or been dropped (Faf, Tahir, De Villiers, Amla) they;ve been able to blood some younger lads.

Seeing Stubbs, Coetzee, Jansen, Peterson and others come into these sides and do well is really good to see and it validates my point that South African Cricket will always be strong. Sport is ingrained in their culture and many of this blokes will be talented rugby, hockey tennis players etc.

I honestly can't wait to see the english take on the south africans this summer. The way Baz Ball has taken off and the way South Africa played against India in their recent test outing suggests this will be a close series. The pace attack for South Africa is as good as it's been for a long time.

Nortje is back bowling heat.
Jansen gets scary lift and bowls high 80's.
Rabada is Rabada, he's world class and is getting his pace back together.
Ngidi may not be rapid but he gets a lot of bounce and is now an excellent test bowler.
Mulder will do some damage in the UK's wickets I think.

There's still room, I think, for Gerald Coetzee, too! He bowls 90mph plus and is a genuine lower order batter. It's just nice to see that the selectors are seeing this and are beginning to transition him in by adding him to the T20 squad.

To summarise, South Africa are a team on the up, in all formats, and they're starting to build a dangerous team who know their roles.
I`m gonna be backing them next wc lol. About time they win a world cup.

I`m very suprised Coetzee hasnt debuted yet tbh. Thought the guy was better than Jansen at his age.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

In fairness he was injured after the MSL and was out for some time. Just the fact that Mpitsang has spotted his talent and ability is a step in the right direction, to say the least. A young man who can bowl 90mph and smack 6's is worth an ODI debut at the very least. I'll take his T20 selection for now, but he needs to be integrated fully. He's a special special talent.
Brevis is another kid who I would keep close tabs on. I know he's getting deals all over the world already, but he's explicitly said he wants to play test cricket for south africa in the future and wants to win an ODI world cup with them. He has so much time on his side, so I wouldn't rush him in. Let him play some FC and LA cricket first and see how he fairs.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I never followed Brevis this IPL season, how did he do?
Although he had a great u19 wc I thought he was a bit one dimensional to be honest. Great hitter when it was in his areas, but struggled with anything outside of that. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll Google.
He was actually a half decent bowler as well.