National Premier League (NPL) 2022 | 17th April - 15th May

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: National Premier League (NPL) 2022 | 17th April - 15th May

Post by CalZim »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Based on what? He has not played cricket at any level for nearly 8 months.
Based on his batting performance today :lol:

No he is just so talented and If he wants to come back then I think we should get him in and not let him go away again. I struggled picking 15 in the other thread and although it may be harsh on others he is still the best 2nd backup bat we have at the minute.

I just don’t want to leave him out even if he has had some time out. Zimbabwe just need to keep telling him that they want him involved and prey he doesn’t leave.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

He’s only back temporarily for the holidays. Still at uni in the U.K. Maybe he’ll be around all summer, I’m not sure.

But he hasn’t played a game anywhere since September. Maybe he’s trained indoors but he isn’t even at a good cricketing university. Can’t just throw him in. If he went and got a century today for Taka then maybe.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes he needs to grind. No exceptions.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:48 am
Surely with the incredible lack of depth in Zimbabwe, we`ve gotten to the stage where we must make exceptions?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya thats a stretch. And wasn't really setting it alight when he was playing here.
They need to keep reshuffling the current deck for a couple more years, maybe, just maybe, three or more guys will get bitten by a magic spider or something.

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Yvmnaidu »

develop players like Costa Zhou, blessed muzite, Tinashe chibamabo, Malcolm chikuwa, Tinashe chiroah, talent munyoro, mattwelch, Tinashe muchawaya, Arnold Shara these players are nice in NPL

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:23 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:48 am
Surely with the incredible lack of depth in Zimbabwe, we`ve gotten to the stage where we must make exceptions?
This is true but I think if he really has what it takes he will dominate the NPL within a short space of time and be right back in it. I don't think you can just not play competitive cricket for 9 months and be able to face Rashid Khan within a month.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well theoretically it will not be dissimilar to franchise. All the players are supposed to play, the franchise squads are 20 strong and there are 10 NPL sides less the guys on national call-up so the standard should be as good as we've got. It should essentially be another round of 50 over franchise games, give or take. He didn't do that much before and supposedly has had a long break from cricket so it's unlikely that he's suddenly going to get back to back to back hundreds for a late inclusion :lol:
The fact is Bennett, Falao, Dube and Welch were pretty similar in performance to these guys being touted as our emerging players, let's keep an eye on them.

I see Victor Chirau is back bowling (the u19 left arm offie called for chucking) apparently without any change to his action. This should be raising eyebrows, but isn't.
Firstly he has potential so someone should be attempting some remedial work to see if he can sort it out and not lose his skills and secondly why is he playing if nothing has changed? Is chucking allowed in our domestic cricket?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Lol yes it is basically allowed. :lol: Roy Kaia is currently banned from international bowling too but always bowls in our domestics still, with the same chucking action he's had for 10 years :lol:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

How good or bad has Matthew Welch been in NPL? Any one else to look forward to who has done well?