Zimbabwe "A" Squad to Tour Nepal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Zimbabwe "A" Squad to Tour Nepal

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:19 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:26 pm
From what I've read over the past few months it seems, like many countries, Nepal have been hampered over the years by a terrible admin and board and a lot of infighting, nepotism and general shithousery. Pretty standard for cricket :lol: This is the worst administered sport in the world, 100%.

And ya, 20 years ago if you drove through Highfield you might see kids playing cricket on the street. We are so far removed from that now it's unbelievable. If I drove into my nearest town now and started asking people to name a current Zimbabwean cricket player I think I'd be waiting a long while until I found someone who could. Might have more luck in Harare I suppose. How we still produce the few players we do from such a minuscule pool is remarkable.

Meanwhile I get the impression cricket is the sport in Nepal.
It really is. Nepalese people are essentially the same as all other brown people and for the most part are cricket crazy. Zimbabwe should not be too disheartened. In all honesty, I have no idea how ZImbabwe do manage to keep up when cricket seems so unpopular and with the population under so much stress as well as the obvious white exodus
Zim cricket culture was burried in 2003. Last 19 years, Zim cricket has been joke with their corrupt administrators enjoying powers in ZC. They should invest the cricket money in some other sports in which they have talents and can win. Getting thrashed by Nepal who doesn't have any proper structure is huge concern for a test playing nation. Getting defeated by Bangladesh, Ireland, or Afghans A team would'nt have mattered much as they are full members and have great domestic structure.These sort of defeats will put Zim backwards when ICC will think of giving opportunity to the lower ranked sides.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest with you guys Nepal are still very far from doing what Afghanistan have done. Very far. Our full strength team would slaughter them. As poor as we were, we still could have won yesterday if it wasn't for dropped catches and dubious decisions. Only Marumani and Jongwe have been around our full squad from that team in those formats of which there is a good chance they don't don't make our strongest 11. Can they pull off a win here and there? Maybe.. but they won't be consistent anytime soon. Even Sandeep is not as good as people say he is.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well this A side against our national side would be interesting. We've seen all the North vs South stuff already and I'm not sure the gap is as big as you think. Mavuta has played for our national side, hasn't he?
Evans played well. He surely has to be knocking on the door now. I watched him batting against some decent spin and he's got really good hands. He left one good delivery by bringing his bat inside the line at the last second that showed he has an abundance of ability. Not many guys have got hands and reactions like that. Then he generally goes and gives it away by a poorly thought out aerial swipe,
but he's certainly very talented and he's learning. It seems they'll give anyone a shot except Evans :lol: I see he was also bowling a bit quicker than he usually does, maybe he's saving his 137.5kph deliveries for the national side? He's got a really nice action and certainly looks like he's got at least another 7.5kph in him :lol:

But there's only up for Nepal and potentially only down for us. The fact is we have to improve all our franchise players significantly in order to strengthen our cricket. Most sides are only really as strong as their domestic cricket, we've been the one team that is actually quite a lot better than our domestic standard in the past, but as discussed ad nauseum, those days are coming to an end. Just take Williams Raza and Ervine out and we're looking as sick as a dog that's eaten a TM packet.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:29 pm
The Namibia series is the real test, they are a serious team - a step up from Nepal, but probably a step down from the SA A team tbh. If we don't win that series at home then we'll be really in the shit. Big week next week.

Although I think we will win, if we select a sensible squad/XI.
I wonder if Namibia will have a full strength side? Wiese and that giant blonde seamer?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Evans wasn't initially selected for the North South stuff and yet he's shown he's the pick of the bunch. Out of half a dozen seamers the selectors struggle to identify the good one? Makes you scratch your head.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:43 am
Evans wasn't initially selected for the North South stuff and yet he's shown he's the pick of the bunch. Out of half a dozen seamers the selectors struggle to identify the good one? Makes you scratch your head.
He is far better than some of those guys. I was genuinely shocked. He looked more like a front line seamer than Nyauchi which was a huge surprise. Faster than Nyauchi too. I think only Chivanga and Ngarava are faster, he probably is at par with Blessing in terms of pace. Jongwe was terrible

By the end of the tour he was opening the bowling and batting higher than Jongwe. That's says it all

Donald

Post by Donald »

Nyauchi and jongwe were very Dissapointing

Happy that marumani looked good at times. He will have gained a lot out of the tour.

Innocent kaia and also maunze decentish

Muyonga needs to be more consistent but looked the goods at times

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Yesterday in particular Evans was bowling with real aggression, lots of good bouncers and some of their batters looked lost against him. I’ve not really seen him bowl with that level of sustained intent and aggression much before, so that was nice to see. I worry he lacks control in T20’s but that will come, and certainly in the 50-over format he looks like he is good enough already.

Googly

Post by Googly »

As aggressive as he was I still believe he's only at 75%, u can see he's still got gas in the tank. Maybe he needs a slap from Chivanga at the start of each over?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am
As aggressive as he was I still believe he's only at 75%, u can see he's still got gas in the tank. Maybe he needs a slap from Chivanga at the start of each over?
Evans, Chivanga and Ngarava all in 1 domestic team is a bit of a mismatch. They need to split up Ngarava and Chivanga. I just like Ngarava and Chivanga for bringing aggression to the domestic scene. Its been far too easy. A new kid on the block has to be bounced out a few times to wake up a bit