Zimbabwe XI to Play South Africa "A"

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe XI to Play South Africa "A"

Post by secretzimbo »

Just to add to my Wes rant earlier.....for anyone who has forgot, he was literally the very best player in South African school cricket at the time:
https://www.awsumnews.co.za/regions/st- ... -the-year/

Captained his school to the national finals festival, won player of the tournament, and was named CSA School player of the year. (Clive Madande was in the same team and was one of the highest run scorers too).

Someone with that kind of record, in a schools system as good as SA's, really should be aspiring to 'replace' Williams and Taylor.

That's why I'd leave Wes out of the next squad and give him a good talking to. He needs reminding he hasn't made it yet and he hasn't fulfilled even 10% of his talent yet. Oh and the new coaches need to be spending extensive amounts of time with him.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly, just on the grassroots thing, I was speaking to an old sage at the ground on Saturday who informed me that ZC are funding an entire new cricket square and renovating the facilities down at Milton School in Bulawayo. Nearly complete apparently. And there's another 2-3 schools supposedly in the pipeline.

They need to sort Churchill first!

BostonZimbo
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by BostonZimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 pm
Googly, just on the grassroots thing, I was speaking to an old sage at the ground on Saturday who informed me that ZC are funding an entire new cricket square and renovating the facilities down at Milton School in Bulawayo. Nearly complete apparently. And there's another 2-3 schools supposedly in the pipeline.

Milton? There hasn't been cricket at Milton for decades

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

BostonZimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:19 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 pm

Milton? There hasn't been cricket at Milton for decades
Ya it's hard to believe but this fella knows his stuff. The old overgrown field has been completely cleared and new pitches are being put down. It's a strange choice but I suppose there must be an interested old miltonian involved at some level......nothing beats a bit of nepotism!

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:45 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm
SZ, mate South Africa will qualify directly, I don't see them Play the Qualifiers.
I know haha. I mean this SA A side are very good. We will be facing much lower quality bowling in the qualifier - so maybe we shouldn't get too depressed......yet.
slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pm
Why marumani over madhevere?
Because I'm starting to run out of patience with Wes.

So, Wes is one of the most naturally gifted players we have. He has twice the natural ability that Shumba does. And yet, you watch Zimbabwe and it looks like Shumba is far better. Something major going wrong there. Wes has every shot in the book and heaps of talent. It's not an understatement to say he could be very special.

But unfortunately, he's already got his fancy haircut and he's bought a new car. He knows he's guaranteed a place in every squad in every format for the next ten years because there's literally nobody else. He's getting a great salary at a young age and nobody seems to care if he's actually underperforming. For his level of ability, he IS underperforming.
By all accounts you won't see him in the nets as much as some other guys. Shumba is there for hours each day apparently. Someone like Regis, we know he's one of the hardest grafters around. Is Wes? From what I've heard he's not.
He needs a rocket up his arse and needs to be dropped. If we keep accepting his underperformance and let him average 25 when really he has the talent to average 40, then he'll end up like all the countless other talented black players we've had over the years who settles for second best and are comfortable with doing the bare minimum to keep the cash rolling in.

He's young but this is when lessons are learnt. We can't hand these kids everything on a plate. This is the age where you have to drill in high expectations into these guys or else they'll end up as another Chibhabha, Maruma or Mutumbami - all btw, who were extremely promising as young men but wilted into insignificance due to our shite system, shite coaching, and our ready acceptance of mediocrity.
Thats very fair. I know the situation too well with players like Kusal Mendis. But I`d still count more on Madhvere to click than Marumani. I get what you mean though.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Zimbabwe is destroying Marumani by changing his batting position and criticizing his natural way of batting. He is the only opening batsman in Zim who plays the shorter format cricket with modern approach. He should be allowed to play his natural game and should open the innings. He has been good against SA in previous series and also showed lots of courage and skills in Pak series against top class fast bowling. Musakanda thing should'nt happen to Marumani

Yvmnaidu
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Yvmnaidu »

marumani & brain mudzingyama has shifted one down because of innocent kaia . he is cousin of Hamilton maskadza. they guys are not at all played well. so much politics in zim cricket in selection of these guys. how did they give chance to mutombodzi, Trevor gawndu, mayavo without performing well

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya Churchill needs to be resurrected and PE needs to be saved from a similar fate. The PE old boys have just spent thousands giving the school a makeover because the current parents and pupils were unwilling to contribute a cent. The expectation is that government or someone else will do it for you if you stand there with a tear in your eye and a begging hand out, it should be the poster for Africa. In fact they believe that the faster you fuck something up the faster someone will come to the rescue.
Any good black high school kids need to be packed into these two schools in Harare and for sure get Milton going.
It doesn't cost more than 2k to get an overgrown ground cleared and up to speed. I wonder who ate there? :lol:

Vegetable Vendor- Marumani can't play like he does against tight bowling. He needs to express himself in T20, especially chasing a big total, but he needs to improve his shot selection. Other players get away with this approach because they have 6 or 7 guys behind them that play the format well. You can play your shots and if you go out early you know its not the end of the world. Madhevere dinking it around in the powerplay yesterday chasing 211 was just weird. They both had a few shots to hit over cover early on and they opted to hit them on the ground and didn't find the gaps. Masakanda partly buried himself sadly, but he was a great talent. Madhevere looks to be falling into the trap of being better off than the guys around him and thinking he's arrived, its a fatal trap that many have fallen into, laid in part by ZC themselves. The poster boy for a successful medium sized fish in a goldfish bowl.

Ya I agree nepotism is the scourge of Africa. It happens everywhere but its most obvious here. They're going to have to be smarter about it because we're about to experience a season of pain and humiliation. It would be almost worth it if it forced some changes, but there don't seem to be consequences to anyone's actions or lack of them.

Young talented players need real specific one on one coaching from a guy who knows what he's doing. General net sessions are where you face bowlers and implement what you've learnt. Two net sessions a week on their own are woefully inadequate.

I don't know why they ever shelved Tinker. He coached Bennett and Muyeye. Need I say more?
Does anyone have a list of other development coaches and their list of good players they worked with? If you can't spot a player with potential and get the most out of him then you aren't doing your job. End of.
The current ZC philosophy seems to be to get a couple of hundred more kids playing village cricket for some sort of box ticking exercise. It may tick some ICC box but it's a waste of time. They need to target the few good players and get them into a high performance program.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:02 pm
Chakabva is so close to being a really good batsman. Just missing some mystery key ingredient by millimeters.
I agree. You can tell if he hits some form he can easily dominate a game. I'm sorry to say but he looked like a much better player in this format than Ervine and that was only his second game back. A few years ago he was a hopeless accelerator. I don't know what changed

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

In Shumba and Madhevere's defence I once highlighted that it took about 5 years for Williams and BT to start scoring centuries. Hami needed another 5 too after that debut century. Raza and Ervine took less time because they debuted at a much older age and were more mature. Wes will be more like Raza and Shumba I think will be like Ervine.

Williams was also that annoyingly talented guy who missed so many domestic games, fell out with the board regularly and couldn't score a decisive century against a decent team :lol: I have been around here just long enough to remember those conversations.

It will click 1 day and I'm hoping Lance Klusener can really work on these guys. Grant Flower would have been better for me because he could have instilled a real work ethic. Shumba seems to have that by all accounts and he is looking like a young man who is competent at his job. Shumba also had to work harder than Wes to get in the team and I think that has played a role.

Don't be surprised for Wes to get a reality check soon. Especially if we play a few tests. He will realize how far down the pecking order he is in that format.