Zimbabwe XI to Play South Africa "A"

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe XI to Play South Africa "A"

Post by secretzimbo »

Mutombodzi is the new Chibhabha, or worse.

Career average of 12 in domestic T20's. How does he get anywhere even close to an A side?!?! Mayavo's selection is just as much of a joke.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Rajkumar post loading.... :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I know we are flattering them with our diabolical batting performances (it's a disgrace), but some of this bowling is very impressive. This SA team are significantly better than probably any team we will face in the qualifiers.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Credit to the ZC commentators for being quite honest and critical on comms. Chimbambo highlighting that he sees Shumba in the nets working specifically on his weakness all the time compared to older players (he namechecked Mutumbami) who avoid such things was very revealing. And quite promising for the youngsters.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Unfortunately ervine doesn't make into my t20 team. He might come good in the qualifiers but will again struggle to score quick runs if zimbabwe qualify for the main tournament. My team would be
Marumani
Madhevere
Chakabva
Up for grabs
Shumba
Raza (c)
Burl
Up for grabs
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarbani

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

We have to back Ervine (and Williams) - they deserve a longer rope than anyone else. Craig still has a career T20 record averaging 28.92 with a SR of 122.5, from a long career. They are better numbers than any of the alternatives. He's our captain too!

He's struggling badly right now but there's a very high likelihood that he will come good. He's a better player than anyone else in Zimbabwe bar Sean.

1 Ervine
2 Marumani
3 Chakabva
4 Williams
5 Raza
6 Shumba
7 Burl
8 Evans
9 Masakadza
10 Ngarava
11 Muzarabani

.....for the first Namibia game please.

(Although I think Williams is still unavailable, Muzarabani may or may not be back, and Masakadza and Ngarava both have injuries).

The above 11 is solid and pretty good, but as we've seen, the player pool beyond that is totally empty. Madhevere as 12th man, but beyond that there is virtually absolutely no one.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:34 pm
We have to back Ervine (and Williams) - they deserve a longer rope than anyone else. Craig still has a career T20 record averaging 28.92 with a SR of 122.5, from a long career. They are better numbers than any of the alternatives. He's our captain too!

He's struggling badly right now but there's a very high likelihood that he will come good. He's a better player than anyone else in Zimbabwe bar Sean.

1 Ervine
2 Marumani
3 Chakabva
4 Williams
5 Raza
6 Shumba
7 Burl
8 Evans
9 Masakadza
10 Ngarava
11 Muzarabani

.....for the first Namibia game please.

(Although I think Williams is still unavailable, Muzarabani may or may not be back, and Masakadza and Ngarava both have injuries).

The above 11 is solid and pretty good, but as we've seen, the player pool beyond that is totally empty. Madhevere as 12th man, but beyond that there is virtually absolutely no one.
Why marumani over madhevere?

I think Madande will come good in a little bit. People wrote off Marumani and Shumba quickly at the start too. Chatara is still decent enough I think

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Good I had work and didn't follow the game afterwards, this was quite embarrassing. :cry:

We all agree that Zimbabwe have a lot to improve... Here and there they give some good performances which results in the odd win against bigger teams but overall teams needs to improve a lot.

Anyways all these were practice games, real business starts now in a weeks time, against Namibia.

SZ, mate South Africa will qualify directly, I don't see them Play the Qualifiers.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 pm
SZ, mate South Africa will qualify directly, I don't see them Play the Qualifiers.
I know haha. I mean this SA A side are very good. We will be facing much lower quality bowling in the qualifier - so maybe we shouldn't get too depressed......yet.
slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pm
Because I'm starting to run out of patience with Wes.

So, Wes is one of the most naturally gifted players we have. He has twice the natural ability that Shumba does. And yet, you watch Zimbabwe and it looks like Shumba is far better. Something major going wrong there. Wes has every shot in the book and heaps of talent. It's not an understatement to say he could be very special.

But unfortunately, he's already got his fancy haircut and he's bought a new car. He knows he's guaranteed a place in every squad in every format for the next ten years because there's literally nobody else. He's getting a great salary at a young age and nobody seems to care if he's actually underperforming. For his level of ability, he IS underperforming.
By all accounts you won't see him in the nets as much as some other guys. Shumba is there for hours each day apparently. Someone like Regis, we know he's one of the hardest grafters around. Is Wes? From what I've heard he's not.
He needs a rocket up his arse and needs to be dropped. If we keep accepting his underperformance and let him average 25 when really he has the talent to average 40, then he'll end up like all the countless other talented black players we've had over the years who settles for second best and are comfortable with doing the bare minimum to keep the cash rolling in.

He's young but this is when lessons are learnt. We can't hand these kids everything on a plate. This is the age where you have to drill in high expectations into these guys or else they'll end up as another Chibhabha, Maruma or Mutumbami - all btw, who were extremely promising as young men but wilted into insignificance due to our shite system, shite coaching, and our ready acceptance of mediocrity.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:45 pm
slcricfan1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:18 pm
Because I'm starting to run out of patience with Wes.

So, Wes is one of the most naturally gifted players we have. He has twice the natural ability that Shumba does. And yet, you watch Zimbabwe and it looks like Shumba is far better. Something major going wrong there. Wes has every shot in the book and heaps of talent. It's not an understatement to say he could be very special.

But unfortunately, he's already got his fancy haircut and he's bought a new car. He knows he's guaranteed a place in every squad in every format for the next ten years because there's literally nobody else. He's getting a great salary at a young age and nobody seems to care if he's actually underperforming. For his level of ability, he IS underperforming.
By all accounts you won't see him in the nets as much as some other guys. Shumba is there for hours each day apparently. Someone like Regis, we know he's one of the hardest grafters around. Is Wes? From what I've heard he's not.
He needs a rocket up his arse and needs to be dropped. If we keep accepting his underperformance and let him average 25 when really he has the talent to average 40, then he'll end up like all the countless other talented black players we've had over the years who settles for second best and are comfortable with doing the bare minimum to keep the cash rolling in.

He's young but this is when lessons are learnt. We can't hand these kids everything on a plate. This is the age where you have to drill in high expectations into these guys or else they'll end up as another Chibhabha, Maruma or Mutumbami - all btw, who were extremely promising as young men but wilted into insignificance due to our shite system, shite coaching, and our ready acceptance of mediocrity.
Remember Wessly dominated SA schools cricket. And did very well across three U19 WCs.

It's very possible that 2-3 years from now, a few schoolboys who Wes was consistently better than, will be playing for the Proteas performing well against top teams. Meanwhile Wes could be averaging 25 playing for 15th-ranked Zimbabwe against Nepal and Namibia.